Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy A-Sym Zip

Sleeping Pad or no sleeping pad?

I saw that I should use my sleeping pad during the winter, but do I need it now? I am leaving for the AT, starting in Ga next week and bought a hennessy hammock at the last minute since my parter bailed on me. For the summer all I need is my sleeping bag and maybe sleeping pad, right? I am not sure how cold it will get, but when it starts to, what should be the first warm item I should be looking at- the outside quilts? I have never used a hammock before so any advice would be appreciated!

Hammock
    eno, hennessy hammock
    Insulation
    therm-a-rest pad
    dude bring a pad just in case, my underside gets cold at 65 degrees. uq is best but expensive. a thermarest is perfect in my hennessy just let a little air out so it wont shift so much n your good to go

Hammock
    eno, hennessy hammock
    Insulation
    therm-a-rest pad
    oh if you can set it up a few times before you hit the trail. the suspension on the hennessy can be a little difficult at first and getting the tension just right will take a few times to master.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey NinjaPoo.....
    Bring a closed cell foam pad at least....
    I have a video series aimed at the new.... may give you some ideas: NinjaPoo's Hammock Primer
    Best to ya' and I envy your AT Adventure!!!!!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Leigh's 3 Season
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    My full size Thermarest worked well for me. I do see how it could be a pain shifting on you unless you have a double layer hammock. But it still beats the ground.

Hammock
    HH Explorer ASYM
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Suspension
    WS, huggers, toggs
    I agree with Stonefree on setup before you go. It helps to make sure you have everything and that there aren't any major defects and whatnot. Also, I would advise using a couple rolling hitches (tautline hitch) back to back for the suspension. It's easier to adjust than the HH hitch and you don't have to change your whole suspension. Just put a toggle on your hugger (i.e. Marlin Spike or other) and make a loop with the RH in your suspension. You could just feed the suspension through the hugger loops, too. Make sure you use two RHs on each side though, the HH suspension is too stiff and slippery for just one hitch.

Granted, I use WSs, but I'm not sure you have the time to get the Amsteel ordered.
    ~We all start at the bottom~

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    A sleeping pad would also be a good thing in the unfortunate event you have to go to ground.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaPoo View Post
    I saw that I should use my sleeping pad during the winter, but do I need it now? I am leaving for the AT, starting in Ga next week and bought a hennessy hammock at the last minute since my parter bailed on me. For the summer all I need is my sleeping bag and maybe sleeping pad, right? I am not sure how cold it will get, but when it starts to, what should be the first warm item I should be looking at- the outside quilts? I have never used a hammock before so any advice would be appreciated!
    Hey are you Lpoo over on WB??? I'm gonna be doing a section Tasnatee Gap to Anacolola falls (spelling???) Starting 27th. SoBo. Sooo, If you hike past an old lady wearing a hot pink skirt, say "HEY" !!! (I'm also the weird looking one with the "front" packs)

as far as insulation goes... I've been steady watching the day/night temps for that area and they look pretty warm (like running above the norm warm)!!! I always pack my under summer quilt because I've found that even when the temps are warm, if it's raining or the wind is blowing or a fog rolls in, I get chilled. Plus I've found that I can use a bit more under me and that tends to allow me to have less on top of me. Right now I'm trying to make up my mind of whether to carry my 1pound top quilt or just my silk top sheet. I really think I'll just have the silk sheet.

For your own piece of mind and also so that you don't wind up on the ground accidently, practice putting up and taking down your hammock. Those knots can be tricky and you don't want to wake up sitting in the mud during a rain storm because your knots slipped. Also, new rope may stretch the first couple of times you get into your hammock and you need to be careful getting in it. The first time I hung my hammock and sat down in it, I went straight to the ground!!!

You've not got the time now, but later look into Whoopies. I made mine and love them.

best of luck with your hammock and happy hanging, & welcome to the forum too!!
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    Hennessy A-Sym Zip
    Thanks for all the info.
    Yes, I am LPoo on WB! I will keep an eye out for you!
    The hammock I have comes with a rain fly but do I need a tarp too?
    Thanks, Shug, I watched a couple of the videos already and you are funny!

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    It is worth saying again--take a pad. A warm night can get very cold in a hammock sans bottom insulation. The phenomenon defies thermodynamics...

The Hennessy fly is adequate in ideal conditions, which generally means it blocks your view of the stars. It it rains with any fervor, you might wish you had a larger tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast