Byer Moskito
    Tarp
    Equinox 10x12
    Insulation
    Nunatak BCB
    Suspension
    Web and rings

New Trek Light hammock and user too!

After lots of thinking and reading in this forum (and elsewhere) I took the plunge and bought a Trek Light double for my first hammock. Last night I slept in it for the first time. I just tied it to my deck between it and a nearby tree. It has been pretty varied here for weather the last week, and even though the sky was clear and calm, I rigged up a diamond shaped 8x10 plastic tarp. After throwing in a CCF pad, I laid my Back Country Blanket over me and crashed. Temps got down probably to the mid 40's.

I slept kind of off and on. In fact, I remember waking up several times, not due to cold or discomfort, but thinking it was just...different. I finally put on a stocking cap when my ears got cold, and I tucked the bcb under me a bit more at one point as my shoulders got cool. After several wakings and worrys about getting enough sleep (gotta work tommorow!) I went inside and found out it was nearly 3am. I had been sleeping for 6 hours! That surprised me. I am heading into the Cascades this weekend and will see how it works there.

First impressions for me: the Trek Light is well made and light. I got the hanging cord package too, and first thing I did was remove the S connector from the hammock ends and replace them with the carabiners. Setup worked slick, with a multiple wrap around a 4"x4" deck post on one end and an 18" birch on the other. I think I will want a larger tarp, probably 10x12 tied rectangular. Also, I will take a second CCF pad to make sure my shoulders are protected.

Images
    oh, you're converted now, there's no turning back, you may never sleep on the ground again. the best part is when you wake up in the morning and there is no discomfort from laying on the ground all night forcing you to get out of bed, that's a wierd feeling too. makes it harder to get up in the mornings though.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I'm heading up to Springer Mtn. tomorrow nite for the first time with my Treklight double.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 11-07-2007 at 00:19.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    My Treklight double was realy nice with my Speer Snugfit underquilt. I'm less enthused about making a hammock than I was before I got the Treklight.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    My Treklight double was realy nice with my Speer Snugfit underquilt. I'm less enthused about making a hammock than I was before I got the Treklight.
    Funny you should mention that. I used to think my homemade hammock that was 60" wide and about 10' 4" long between the whipping was my most comfy hammock. Way more comfy than my Hennessy. The Treklight double is much more comfortable. The width really makes the difference.
    I even tried sewing 10" panels on each side of my homemade hammock to give it more width. Did'nt work well. The sides did not lay down enough to get comfortable. Even after several re-whippings.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 09-21-2007 at 16:00.

Hammock
    Byer Moskito
    Tarp
    Equinox 10x12
    Insulation
    Nunatak BCB
    Suspension
    Web and rings
    Well, I used my hammock setup this last weekend in some pretty nasty conditions, and I love the thing! Slept 12 hours and could have laid there longer, no back pain, no aches. I have become accustom to waking with headaches and sore hips, or stiff back (depending on my position most of the night). That was with a 2" Thermarest LE. I have some more info posted here regarding the trip, and some pics here, but here are my observations and some questions:

1) Finding the right trees at 6000 feet in the Cascades can be a challenge! Especially when you are sharing the camp with non-hammock people. What would be the maximum distance between trees (provided you have enough rope) to hang?

2) Keeping my ccf pads in place all night was interesting. I had a single full length one (24" wide, I think) and another 24" one that I had cut in two placed length wise under the uncut one as "wings" for my shoulders and hips. They ended up all over the hammock, especially when I had to get up to pee in the middle of the night. How do you keep things from moving around?

3) My feet got chilled during the night. I was inside a down back country blanket. I suspect I will take some booties next trip. Temps were pretty cold (around 32F), and I wore polypro underwear, wool socks, stocking cap and a light fleece jacket. My body kept comfortable, except for my feet. Is this because they are slightly elevated (blood flow issue)?

4) We used just a 9x12 chunk of plastic and it seemed to work fine. I think a 10x12 silnylon tarp is in my future. Any recommendations?

5) Is there a height for the hammock that is best? I ended up being limited due to coverage needs for my ground sleeping buddy, with the hammock at about waist level prior to me getting in (which just kept my backside off the ground).

Thanks for any help!

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Seracer View Post
    Well, I used my hammock setup this last weekend in some pretty nasty conditions, and I love the thing! Slept 12 hours and could have laid there longer, no back pain, no aches. I have become accustom to waking with headaches and sore hips, or stiff back (depending on my position most of the night). That was with a 2" Thermarest LE. I have some more info posted here regarding the trip, and some pics here, but here are my observations and some questions:

1) Finding the right trees at 6000 feet in the Cascades can be a challenge! Especially when you are sharing the camp with non-hammock people. What would be the maximum distance between trees (provided you have enough rope) to hang?

2) Keeping my ccf pads in place all night was interesting. I had a single full length one (24" wide, I think) and another 24" one that I had cut in two placed length wise under the uncut one as "wings" for my shoulders and hips. They ended up all over the hammock, especially when I had to get up to pee in the middle of the night. How do you keep things from moving around?

3) My feet got chilled during the night. I was inside a down back country blanket. I suspect I will take some booties next trip. Temps were pretty cold (around 32F), and I wore polypro underwear, wool socks, stocking cap and a light fleece jacket. My body kept comfortable, except for my feet. Is this because they are slightly elevated (blood flow issue)?

4) We used just a 9x12 chunk of plastic and it seemed to work fine. I think a 10x12 silnylon tarp is in my future. Any recommendations?

5) Is there a height for the hammock that is best? I ended up being limited due to coverage needs for my ground sleeping buddy, with the hammock at about waist level prior to me getting in (which just kept my backside off the ground).

Thanks for any help!
    1)Speaking for myself, the maximum distance for me would be where I'm still able to reach up and wrap the webbing around the tree and keep the hammock off the ground.. I'm 5'7 so around 20' for me. I did climb a couple of trees once to hang it higher. Not much fun.
    2)Might want to consider buying one of these. It works great.www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm
    3)Not sure about the elevation thing but some nice down booties should do the trick.
    4)Any of the popular tarps mentioned here should work well.
    5)About waist level is usually the best height. I'm usually lower than that. Lots of sag.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 09-25-2007 at 16:54.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Seracer View Post

Thanks for any help!
    I'll address your pad situation only, since I believe I've come up with a rather nice and inexpensive solution. Basically I built my own wings from a cheap cc pad....6" by 30" for the shoulders and 6" by 20" for the knees. I attached them to a $10 half inch thick 24" wide Wally World pad...the one with the waffles. Note: don't buy the cheaper 20" version....it's too stiff and too narrow. I attached the wings with strips of ripstop nylon using contact cement. Only place the nyon on one side as it acts as a hinge. As they say a picture is worth a thousands words....maybe more in my case. So here's the link. I've already used it a few times and can attest to it's sweetness!

http://community.webshots.com/album/560834203BtHMbJ

I have a double bottomed Claytor hammock so movement is nil. I would think a simple solution for a single bottom hammock would be to attach a strip of velcro across the underside of your pad (top and bottom) and your hammock. Also my pad system seems to lie the best with the nylon stips facing down against the hammock material.

Hope this helps, Miguel

Hammock
    Byer Moskito
    Tarp
    Equinox 10x12
    Insulation
    Nunatak BCB
    Suspension
    Web and rings
    Thanks FF, that Speer site is full of good info! Miguel, that solution is similar to what I was considering...

I am trying to keep my gear weight about where I am now, so adding items is something I need to consider carefully. I sort of figure I am trading my one-man Silshelter which all told weighs about 2 lbs. with stakes, pole and groundsheet for a tarp which will probably be about the same along with stakes and tie-outs. My hammock, hanging cords and 2 ccf pads takes the place of my Thermarest LE 3/4, which is about the same weight at 1.5 lbs. I am, however, willing to pack a few more ounces if I can sleep like that every night!
    Last edited by Seracer; 09-25-2007 at 17:06.

Images
    The weight you're leaving for a tarp is overkill by quite a bit... Even a moderately large and heavy tarp shouldn't weigh more than 1.5 lbs with tie outs and stakes. I'm estimating my 14'x11' (Cat-hex) is going to come in around that weight.

If you want a smaller lighter tarp look at something like this. Its under half a pound, even adding stakes and tie-outs won't put you anywhere near 1.5lbs.

Never used these guys just using them as an example of what is possible with super fabrics like Cuben...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast