Tarp
    Campmor 8x10
    Insulation
    Green CCF pads
    Suspension
    WBBB OEM
    Images

Good newbie suspension

Yay! My WBBB arrived today. I've been looking over all the suspensions people use, and, frankly, I'm a little overwhelmed. What's a good, simple, easy, newbie setup? Should I just use the stuff that ships with the BB? Does it come with a ridgeline? I'm not afraid of knots, but I don't have a large library in my head.
    I have seen at least one really clean and easy looking suspension rig here, but I can't find the darn thing. He had a very clear graphic display, and lots of good illustrations. I have 100' of spectra and 50' of nylon line, and 6' of shock cord for tarp tensioners. I'm planning on using a pad in about a 40degree low environment, with a 20degree sleeping bag.

I have an 8x10 tarp en route too, so that's what I'm going to use for rainblock.

Any further information I will hopefully immediately provide, I will be checking the forums regularly tonight and tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks!
    (of course, you're all to blame for this, given your raving about comfort, ease, enjoyment, etc!)

Stahl

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    The 'bird is ready to go, right out of the box...use it that way for awhile before you even think about changing the suspension.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    Campmor 8x10
    Insulation
    Green CCF pads
    Suspension
    WBBB OEM
    Images

Good OOB experience

Cool.. I'd just set it up and play with it now, but we've got a severe thunderstorm outside and while that'd be a good test, I'm not sure I want to try my first set up in buckets of rain and hail (not to mention lightning and thunder)

Apparently I'm excited about this, based on the number of typos in the previous paragraph I just fixed.

Your WBBB should have come with a suspension, there were two choices of suspension's with the WBBB prior to ordering! So unless you specified that you wanted it without it when ordered, it has a perfectly good suspension with it!! If you got it with the webbing style suspension that is probably the least fiddle factor type (in my opinion at least)
    Now if your talking about changing it to something else, well, that is a horse of a different color! You can always change it to whatever you choose, but I would leave it as is for now and give yourself some time playing with the hammock and setting it up a lot before you change the suspension, my opinion if you are looking to change it out I would go with whoopies!!
    Yes the WBBB come's with a integrated and attached hammock ridgeline!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    Campmor 8x10
    Insulation
    Green CCF pads
    Suspension
    WBBB OEM
    Images

Sweet!

Yep, I figured I ordered the webbing, but I don't think a single one of you donating members uses it. I guess I deduced it was a bit of a POS, although after some consideration, I guess you all just HAVE to customize it.
    Cool, I'll just use the basic rig at first.
    Any other advice I might benefit from? I'm leaving for a 5 day trip in a week, and will document and report back.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Stahl View Post
    Yep, I figured I ordered the webbing, but I don't think a single one of you donating members uses it. I guess I deduced it was a bit of a POS, although after some consideration, I guess you all just HAVE to customize it.
    Cool, I'll just use the basic rig at first.
    Any other advice I might benefit from? I'm leaving for a 5 day trip in a week, and will document and report back.
    <ahem> This donating member uses it, and I'd venture to say, I'm not alone in that. It is most definitely not a "POS".
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    Campmor 8x10
    Insulation
    Green CCF pads
    Suspension
    WBBB OEM
    Images

Sorry!

I didn't mean I had any reason to believe it was unsuitable, just that I didn't see very many people using it. My bad!

Hammock
    Blackbird DL1.1 / ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WntrYeti/Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Webbing
    Not a POS, but it's also not as flashy and exotic as whoopie slings. I agree with the poster who said to use it as-is for a while before you start changing stuff. Figure out what you like and what works for you, the stock might just be your cup of tea.
    oldgringo's reply to my worrying about owning extra hammocks:

How many pairs of underwear do you own? Do you refer to them as "extras", simply because you're not wearing all of them as we speak?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    It's easy to get the idea that oem suspensions need to be replaced....looking at the wealth of info on suspensions. Webbing is last weeks flavor...Whoopie slings are this months flavor...
    It can be confusing with all that is written...
    You have chosen the WBBB and it is a hammock that I hope to get some day...
    Or I'll make my own...
    BUT there's none better...and you are blessed to start with it.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Stahl View Post
    Practice, practice, practice before you leave on your trip, you don't want to be stuck in the middle of a "SEVERE" downpour and pull a Homer Simpson "DOOOHHHH"!
    For your trip hope you have your insulation figured out, if not I would suggest looking in the insulation threads to get ideas!
    Have fun and we look forward to the report and pic's!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast