WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings

Middle Fork Salmon River in Idaho

It is finally here (leaving 6/19). The trip that pushed me to jump feet first into hammocking. We fly into Boise and drive a rental to Hailey, where we will stay in a home on the Big Wood River for 4 nights. Then we meet the rafting crew in Stanley on 6/23 and begin our rafting trip on 6/24. We will be joined by Dave and Sue, from Massachusetts, and Frank from NJ, whom we met on last year's Grand Canyon trip. My BIL Jeff will be joining me for the 3rd year in a row. My wife Kristen will be on her 2nd rafting trip.

After sleeping on the ground the last two years in the Grand Canyon, I knew there had to be a better way to enjoy these otherwise fantastic adventures. Up until now, I have only done a few one-nighters in a hammock and slept out on my property. There's no turning back now. The learning curve has been a blast and I will forever be in debt to the people on this forum and their ingenuity, and helpful attitudes.

It will be 6 days of high water (class III and IV) and surprise campsites, without knowing what's in store. I never asked whether a hammock is allowed or recommended, not wanting to get the dreaded "uninformed answer". I have tried to plan for all reasonable contingencies, whether it be hanging from rock cliffs or for the unfortunate event of having to sleep on the ground. I even found a website Whitewater Campsites, that gives a lot of information and has photos of many campsite along western US rivers. I will be using the WBBB 1.7 DL, 3 season Incubator, Burrow, and Granite Gear 10 x 10 tarp, while my wife will be sleeping comfy in the Switchback 1.9 SL, Incubator, JRB Sierra Sniveller, and the BDWD. Both setups will be stuffed into GG dry sacks that will go into the HD dry bags. We both have pads, hers a BA Air Core, mine a Neoaire. We will take trecking poles for porches and hiking. I will also be carrying CAMP USA Tricams for the rock.

I have my Canon G9 and underwater housing that has been through the Grand Canyon on both trips. I am hoping for a ton of good photos and maybe some video as well.
    Last edited by Scottybdiving; 06-17-2010 at 22:47.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Well waive hey as you go past. Have a great trip.

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Good luck ScottyB. You will be in Paul's backyard, maybe a impromptu visit is in order?
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB / ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES MacCat / H.Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Congrats. Are you going through a guide service?

I've had the pleasure of floating the MFSR twice in the past. It's absolutely fantastic. The snow pack wasn't super high this year, but we've had plenty of rain. Flows should be fairly high so be careful. Especially watch out for that first set of Falls. (Velvet Falls). It's difficult to see and kind of sneaks up on you. Nothin' too dangerous, but it'll certainly get the blood flowing.

Are you taking a dry-suit or wet-suit? Remember... all that water is snow melt, and in June it can be pretty chilly, especially when setting out in the mornings. I used the "Farmer John" bib types, but never needed a full wet-suit (but again that was in August). Take plenty of sun screen. Sitting in a raft, in the sun, in a canyon all day can be bruital.

If you have time, I'd strongly recommend you pick up this book from either a local book store or the local REI.
    http://www.amazon.com/Middle-Fork-Hi...866441&sr=1-35

The book offers a lot of historical information about the river and the Sheep Eater War (native inhabitants -vs- US Cavalry) as well as the miners that homested the river. There's also a book on how to technically navigate the river that tells you what landmarks to look for before each rapid, as well as how to navigate it. (ie.. enter from left, work towards center, end right) The guide book also tells you about the many hotsprings along the upper section of the river. These are great at sloakin' tired muscles etc. There a great one at "Hospital Bar Camp" where you can see the river and watch other rafters float by.

There are interesting sites along the way that you should stop and check. (Power House, Whitey Cox camp, Rattlesnake camp etc. Too many to list) Rattle Snake is especially interesting, due to the pictographs painted inside the cave.

The native fish is cutthroat, but the regs are pretty tight on them. (catch/release I think).

As far as hangin', you shouldn't have any problems. Plenty of trees all the way down the river.

Have a great time and take lots of pics.

"I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains" - John Muir

Festus

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG 4 season cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Burrow TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I'm soooo envious can't wait for the TR and pics!!! Have a great time!!!
    leigh

Hammock
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    It's a 3:00 AM wakeup call tomorrow. Festus (One of the all-time greatest characters) 99, We are floating with ARTA. One of the river guides I have floated with in GC the last two years, also guides for ARTA. We have dry suits (inexpensive), polartec, and fleece to stay warm. I hope it does warm up a bit before we hit the river. This AM we got a report of 23 degrees in Stanley. That's a bit cooler than we bargained for. Typical is supposed to be high 30's to low 40's in late June, according to their data.

Hammock
    WBBB / ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES MacCat / H.Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    When you leave Hailey (Sun Valley) you'll drive past the Sawtooth range which is some of the most beautiful country Idaho has to offer. The majority of your float is within the Frank Church Wilderness area. No roads/motorized vehicles. You will see trucks at some of the ranches along the river, but those were homesteads before it became a wilderness.

There are several dirt airstrips in the area, so you'll likely see small planes in the mornings/evenings when the air is cooler. My Brother-In-Law inspects the airstrips fo the State, so I've flown into a couple. When flying into Johnson Creek, we had mule deer running along the sides of the airstrip. Luckily none jumped in front of the prop. We would have been stranded, but at least we'd eat good. There were deer down low, elk 1/2 way up the hill and big horn sheep on top. That night the coyotes were yelpin' and the wolves howlin'. (talk about making the hair on your neck stand up !!!)
    Next morning we spotted 2 wolves on the hilltop.

There was a significant burn above Pistol Creek a few years back (you'll see it) Dead logs created a jam across the lower part of the rapid that standed several rafters for a couple days. The forest service was finally able to cut through all the red-tape and blast the log jam. The logs created 2 new rapids which I think still exist. One is called "OREO" (yes the cookie). The other I can't recall.

Watch for sheep in the mornings. Sometimes you'll spot them near the river. Watch for River Otters too...

I've been lucky enough to float the MFSR twice. Both were self-guided trips. It's an opportunity that some people never get to experience, so have a good time. You remember it for the rest of your life.

"I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains" - John Muir

Festus

Hammock
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Sitting here in Hailey, in the house we rented on the Big Wood River. We drove over to Stanley a couple days ago. Stopped at Redfish Lake, rented a pontoon boat and toured around the lake for a couple hours. You are right, the Sawtooths are very majestic. We leave Hailey today to meet up with our rafting group in Stanley. We will hit the river tomorrow AM.

Big Wood River right outside back door

Looking toward Stanley

Pulling away from Redfish Lodge on pontoon boat

Scenery from Redfish Lake

More Scenery from Redfish Lake

• + New Posts