Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: body heat

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird

body heat

avid, lifelong hiker/hunter/camper here

always(up to this point) used a tent. but seriously thinking bout, exploring, reading about, using a hammock. everything about it seems right to me. tho i do have one ?. typically hike/camp with others and often a "sleeping buddy" and have found a warm body to curl up with on cold nites works pretty derned well. the only "dis-advantage" i can find with hammocking....what say you folks?

btw thanks for this forum! have learned lots already. really appreciate ya'll sharing yr knowledge

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    It varies A LOT from person to person/couple to couple, but my girlfriend and I don't have any real issues sleeping double. In fact, when she joined me on the AT I sent my hammock ahead because I knew she'd have troubles adjusting to the cold. So, for about 2 weeks we slept double every night. You have to be a snuggler to pull it off really well, but yes, the body heat generated between two people in a hammock is a bunch! Overnight temps ranged from high twenties to low fourties for those couple of weeks. More often than not, I'd wake to discover I had kicked-off my quilt overnight because I was too warm.

Welcome to the Forums!
    Only bad thing about hammocks is the addiction, but most of us are OK with that.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    so do you use a "double" hammock or both sleep in a single? been checking the doubles out too, but wondered about the practicality of such a set-up....cant justify the expense for a single and a double as im not gonna wanna carry the double when alone or no partner

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to the forum snuggled Jane
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sadiejane View Post
    so do you use a "double" hammock or both sleep in a single? been checking the doubles out too, but wondered about the practicality of such a set-up....cant justify the expense for a single and a double as im not gonna wanna carry the double when alone or no partner
    Yes.

We've used both. When we sleep double, she basically lays partially on top of me and partially to the side. Our 'hammock footprint' isn't much bigger than a single sleeper. Weight ratings come into play more than room, cause I ain't no little guy.

If you only want to get one hammock, beyond the fact that you should be ashamed of yourself for saying such a thing, I'd say go with a double from Trek Light or ENO. They are very comfortable for one person and just as comfortable for two. Again, it all depends on if you and your 'friend' are compatible as double hammock sleepers. There doesn't seem to be much gray area when it comes to opinions on double sleeping; you either like it, or you really dislike it. Good luck!
    Trust nobody!

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Just my two cents but the extra width of the ENO DN makes it a better laying hammock than the ENO SN. So just because it says double nest ... it's good for a single sleeper ... just a tad more weight.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to the forums! Within this forum you should be able to find the answers to any hammock questions that you can think off. The ENO Double is a darn good hammock. Mine has seen a much use by me alone. In recent months I have finally got the wife interested in hammock hanging. The few times that she has gone with me. We have hung together in the ENO. It makes for close quarters sleeping. But if you do not mind close quarters. It fills the ticket perfectly. It is a true dual use hammock, as it handles either single or double hanging with equal ease. Price is also a very attractive quailty for it also. So get yourself a hammock and start "sleeping buddy" you will never regret doing so.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    The ENO Double works well for a couple of hours with two people, but it has its limits. It works best if you alternate, or lay with your head next to the other's feet. Because it is nice to actually sleep in your own hammock, I'd go with:

• Two ENO Doubles (the extra cloth can serve as a blanket when used solo)
    • A WBBB for the heavier of you, and the 1.7 Double WBBB should hold most couples.

One caveat is that weight limits for hammocks are likely static weight, and any dynamic movement may exceed the limits.

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    One caveat is that weight limits for hammocks are likely static weight, and any dynamic movement may exceed the limits.[/QUOTE]

====> First off - WELCOME!

Secondly ..."Dynamic movement" is classic!
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WBB Superfly
    Suspension
    Adjustable Web
    Images
    Sleeping double in the hammock is not a problem for me and the wife. Why? Because she is not going to be out in the woods to begin with. Her idea of roughing it is to stay at a Holiday Inn Express instead of the Marriott.
    Hammocker Prayer - "Don't every let my wife sell my hammock equipment for what I told her I paid for it."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast