Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

My hat's off to Opie

I just wanted to post a quick note thanking Opie for posting his how-to pictorials. What a great resource for those of us wanting to try our own hand at making suspensions, guylines, ridgelines, etc. out of braided line. I would think most folks who sell these would want to keep their methods secret, but he's a great guy to share his knowledge.

I also will say to anyone that is on the fence of DIY VS buying, if you just need a setup for one hammock, by all means order them from Opie. You'll spend more and wreck your fingers if you go the DIY route.

I had to make three sets of tarp guylines with tensioners, three tarp ridgelines with prusik soft shackles, and three sets of whoopies, so I decided to go the DIY route. I knew I could save a little money, but mainly I wanted to do it as a fun project to take my mind off things. It was a fun learning experience, but I can tell you, I was ready for the project to be over by my last set of these.

Just to give you an idea, to make three sets of self-tensioning tarp guylines with loops on both end, and three sets of tarp ridgelines with one loop and one finished tail and two soft shackles, it took:

28 locked brummel fixed eyes
    48 buries (15 used to make finished tails)
    32 stopper knots
    12 prusik operations
    32 fingernail extractions (rolling silicon tubing back over itself)

I used almost an entire roll of Zing-It. I'm looking forward to working with the 7/64. It should be a breeze compared to the Zing-It. Plus, thank goodness I'm finished with the tensioners. Folding those back over themselves will rip your fingernails off!

As it says in the title, my hat's off to you, Opie!

Salty

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Well put Salty. With Opie's great tutorials, I could do it, but I'm sure they wouldn't come out quite as nice nor quite as dependable. That's just me and others may have better skills. When I order from Opie, I know I'm going to get a quality product that is field ready and that means a lot to me.

SmokeBait

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Absolutely! I'm basically ok with the knots that I've had to learn and use over the years but since I'm still a newbie to hanging I would have NEVER been able to mod my HH ULBA with his Whoopie Slings if it were not for his YouTube video. That is a fact! Thank you Opie!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    KAQ
    Suspension
    Web strap
    Opie is a great resource and if I find that I need anything that he sales He will get my order, and after doing it diy He has my respect for his skills.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Thanks everyone. Just knowing that folks are able to use the information I put out is all the thanks I need. I was there, and have been many times.. Lurking in the shadows just absorbing information. Im now in the position to give some of that lurking back.

Quote Originally Posted by Liv2Ride View Post
    Absolutely! I'm basically ok with the knots that I've had to learn and use over the years but since I'm still a newbie to hanging I would have NEVER been able to mod my HH ULBA with his Whoopie Slings if it were not for his YouTube video. That is a fact! Thank you Opie!
    Liv... That vid isnt me. Its Ken. I did get my own video done this weekend and will publish it shortly.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    JRB Stealth / Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I just wanted to post my thanks as well. The tutorials are priceless. The definitely lower the bar on being able to DIY on a lot!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    ...That vid isnt me. Its Ken. I did get my own video done this weekend and will publish it shortly.
    Heh...who knew... Oh Well...thank you Ken and thank you Opie

• + New Posts