wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Only those of Greek or Italian background.

Lol ,would that be a guido grizzly.

Hammock
    Diy 1.1 DL - Diy 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Diy Silnylon,
    Insulation
    SB con to UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkman View Post
    Without reading MSDS sheet I cant be 100% sure it is micro encapsulated. That is the way the industry makes pesticides last for a very long time so I am 99.98% sure.
    up here you cannot buy it, the only item you can get is horse fly spray ultrashield fly spray when i look at the label it looks exactly the same ingredients as the sawyer brand

only think i don't like is the orange citranella scent

so my questions is can you confirm they are the same for me

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Backpacker
    Insulation
    Nest & Sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopies & E trunk
    Tried skimming through most of this but didn't see what I was looking for. Does anyone spray their top quilt? If so would it be possible to go w/o a bug net. I do most of my hanging out west where the bugs are not as bad.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    I have had luck with Bug Stop lawn care from the local Rural King, probably most any lawn care retailer. It is labeled with permethrin as the active ingredient and had no noticeable petroleum products in it when mixed with water ( no seperation ). I soaked my hammock and all my outdoor clothes in the dilution and dried in a drier. I've seen no degredation of the nylon either on hammock or clothes. There is a slight flowery order initially after treatment but it wears off after a full wash cycle. I barely ever see mosquitos, ticks, ants, spiders, or any other creepy crawly; they avoid me like the black death, and I don't use any other bug repellant at all.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Grand Trunk ATHH
    Tarp
    Sky Tent
    Insulation
    ccf pad
    Suspension
    Byer micro ropes
    Working up in the Boundary Waters and doing most of my recreational camping in the UP, I've learned to just accept mosquitoes as a fact of life. In my experience those who coat themselves in toxic chemicals get bit anyways as do I, but at least I'm expecting it and don't have that sense of indignation when a skeeter drills through 100% melt-your-tent-and-sleepingbag bug spray. I've considered permetherine at times, and actually have used it while camping in South America, but I really don't want my interaction with nature to be killing any insect that happens to touch me. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with slapping a mosquito, but it's kind of a beautiful thing when a dragonfly lands on you because they are hunting the mosquitoes swarming around you.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1, SB 1.9 SL
    Tarp
    BMJ, Custom Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies

Permethrin treatments

Jasen, I have to have a bugnet here in the southeast, but if they weren't as bad I think I could get by with spraying my quilt.

The kicker would be keeping them off your face.

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jasen4_30 View Post
    Tried skimming through most of this but didn't see what I was looking for. Does anyone spray their top quilt? If so would it be possible to go w/o a bug net. I do most of my hanging out west where the bugs are not as bad.

its not needed, its the areas where they land on the bottom of the hammock that can bite thru to your back and arms.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    9X11 DIY Syl
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    Funny that this thread started up again, since I just went and bought my concentrate yesterday. Gonna be treating my gear this weekend. I've done it for the last couple years and haven't had any ticks problems and very, very little mosquito issues.

Pro V.

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BWCAW hanger View Post
    Working up in the Boundary Waters and doing most of my recreational camping in the UP, I've learned to just accept mosquitoes as a fact of life. In my experience those who coat themselves in toxic chemicals get bit anyways as do I, but at least I'm expecting it and don't have that sense of indignation when a skeeter drills through 100% melt-your-tent-and-sleepingbag bug spray. I've considered permetherine at times, and actually have used it while camping in South America, but I really don't want my interaction with nature to be killing any insect that happens to touch me. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with slapping a mosquito, but it's kind of a beautiful thing when a dragonfly lands on you because they are hunting the mosquitoes swarming around you.
    In the pest control industry we understand this rhetoric and hear it mostly from a few uneducated people, who are more vocal and less understanding at times because they are talking about their feelings. The products are as thoughtfully tested as much as prescription medication, and although we have 100's of products only 4 pest control products have been removed from the market. Look at how much prescription drugs have been removed.

The fear is the solution is worse than the biting insect. Yet the insect will kill 1.6 million people this year, Malaria & Yellow Fever across several continents. Mosquitos kill more human beings on the planet than anything else out there...

At home people bathe & drink, Chlorine a dangerous gas, jump into hot spa's of chemical & anti bacterial soups. People use underarm deodorant, spill gasoline on themselves at the pump, Use common soap in the shower, or smoke cigarettes, or drink Alcohol - all of which carry FDA "Warning" label. What we are discussing in this thread about SYNTHETIC PYRETHROIDS carries a "Caution" Label....

People that used DDT are very much alive today and only suffered thinning hair...

BWCAW hanger this post was not pointed at you, you brought to light a common misconception, Just elevate your perspective....
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 04-16-2013 at 09:15.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    Lite Owl/GT SB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So, I bought some of the Tractor Supply concentrate, and the warnings in this thread has me thinking. Maybe I'll just use that for items that will not be in direct contact with my skin, and buy some of the sawyers for clothing and the hammock. On a side note I have noticed headaches after using Deet so I opt for some of the less aggresive plant based skin applications.
    You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows~Bob Dylan
    http://carnegies-restaurant.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast