Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why use a biner or Dutch clip at strap end-loop pass-through?

I've always used regular 1" nylon climb-spec tubular webbing, created an end-loop using a water knot, wrapped the tree and passed the other end of the webbing through the loop toward my hammock. Never slipped or had any problems. What is the reason people use biners or clips? Is it for flat webbing? Or perhaps necessary for polyester? Please help this noob, because I want to ditch my tubular webbing in favor of flat poly.
    Last edited by Sabatier; 04-16-2013 at 22:10. Reason: spellcheck

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Most use biners for speed/ease of setup. Wrap the strap around the tree and clip it on.

In addition., some suspensions are not easy to remove from the hammock so you can't easily pass the opposite end through the loop - a biner, dutch clip or something similar in those cases is very useful.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    Most use biners for speed/ease of setup. Wrap the strap around the tree and clip it on.
    I see how that would make it the slightest bit faster. But if I walk around the tree (or throw/catch, or similar) with the loop, and feed the other free end through everything's gonna be ok? No rub issues or anything?

Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    In addition., some suspensions are not easy to remove from the hammock so you can't easily pass the opposite end through the loop - a biner, dutch clip or something similar in those cases is very useful.
    Good point, but assuming my suspension is easily detached from the hammock (whoopie hook or a [tree strap hitched to] biner connected to continuous loop through hammock end); is there another reason?

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    ENO Dryfly
    Insulation
    Cc foam pad+bag
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabatier View Post
    I see how that would make it the slightest bit faster. But if I walk around the tree (or throw/catch, or similar) with the loop, and feed the other free end through everything's gonna be ok? No rub issues or anything?

Good point, but assuming my suspension is easily detached from the hammock (whoopie hook or a [tree strap hitched to] biner connected to continuous loop through hammock end); is there another reason?
    Not that I know of. The introduction of the hardware adds a small amount of weight to your setup. It comes with a trade off of convenience. For example, if you were using webbing through a cinch buckle or rings attachment on your hammock, using the biner or clip would allow you to leave the webbing threaded in the buckle/rings and just a quick turn round the tree and a clip and you're set up.

The water knot setup you describe would work fine (so long as you're inspecting your knot and webbing periodically for wear etc.) but with a similar buckle/ring set up, it would take a few extra seconds to thread through the hammock attachment compared to the speed of leaving the hammock attachment and clipping at the tree.

I don't think it's a night and day difference, but I know some find the clips more convenient in that or other scenarios that allow leaving the webbing attached to the hammock. I still use a lashing to the trees, so clearly convenience isn't among my concerns. HYOH I guess.

Ok..thanks to both of you. Now I'm 100% on the function as well as the use case pros/cons.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    ....lots of tree huggers are forgotten and left on trees; happens when the suspension is separated from the hammock rig, just saying.

Hammock
    Dutchware knotty mod
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    Straps currently
    Images
    Beiners and clips For the win. Threading straps sucks.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Been threading my suspension through a fixed eye now for a couple of years after experimenting with many a different setup....

NEVER (touch wood) came close to forgetting them (I know this should be asking for it... )

My whoopie sling is larksheaded with it's fixed eye to an eye on the treehugger. The other end of the treehugger has a bit bigger eye (both sewn).

The moving loop from the whoopie has a carabiner clipped to it.

That carabiner and the rest of the whoopie go through the eye of the treehugger that went around the tree.

YT film (in Dutch) at 2.51 should clarify it...

Adjust loop, clip hammock and backpack and I am set. Carabiner functions as a drip ring too...

HYOH as always.

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    $20 yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    enLightened UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    the metal jucntion (biner, whoopie hook, ect) also serves as a water break during rain. Id be came for a slightly larger hook with an additional eye for a water thread if dutch gets my drift *wink*

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    One additional benefit of having a biner or Dutch Biner etc. at the tree would be if you need to raise your suspension attachment point at the tree after you have set your hammock up.

If you're attached to a pine for example, you may have limb after limb up the tree that you can't simply slide the suspension up the tree. If you threaded your webbing through itself, you'd have to detach your webbing from your hammock, unthread your webbing through the eye, move the suspension up the tree, rethread the webbing through the eye, reattach the hammock to the webbing.

I've been in this situation many times where the hang isn't quite right and have to move the suspension up or down multiple times. With a biner or Dutch Biner you can leave your hammock setup, unclip the biner, move the webbing up the tree and reclip the biner to itself.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast