What else for my Singer to get started?

Want to get started on a tarp after picking up some Walmart $1.50 coated Nylon to cover my SB Pro. I pulled out the wifes Singer 6620c machine that looks to do about any type of stich (straight, zig-zag, flexi, etc). I only have the stock foot that says it will work with straight and zig-zag stiches.

What else should I pick up to get going on my tarp project or any other future projects?

What size needles?

What kind and size of thread?

Anyone used the bulk thread on Ebay?

Thanks in advance for the help

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    Straight and zig-zag are the only stiches that you will need.

As for thread Guternmann polyester thread is all I use. You can get it at Joann Fabrics or any other fabric store. AHE also sells this thread too.

Needle size I use a size 9/65. this size helps keep the waterproofness. but, you still need seal the seams with a seam sealer.

Never bought the bulk thread on E-bay. So I can't comment on that...

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Buy thread from ebay at your own peril. Thread has a definite shelf life. The older it gets the more trouble you will have with it. It also is affected by storage conditions. Hot storage facilities will destroy thread way before its normal shelf life. If you want to gamble with quality you might get away with ebay. However I would not recommend doing so. If you are going to invest in the labor to do the project don't jeopardize it by using potentially bad thread.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Thanks

Thanks for the replys,

Any input on the spools that they sell at Walmart? It is an outdoor UV resistant. I dont have a Joann's anywhere close to me.

So the standard foot is all I will need? I have seen some people refer to a roller foot. What does that do?

Thanks again

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Walmart sells Coats and Clark. It is not _bad_ but there are better threads on the market. If this gets out in the public I will deny it vehemently... but I use Walmart thread for most of my projects. Avoid the bargain $1 threads like the plague.

A roller foot is a device which reduces the friction on the fabric between the presser foot and feed dogs. When you are using very slick and slippery fabric the top layer can move at a different speed than the bottom. The roller foot can help deal with that. Is it required? Absolutely not. Is it helpful? It can be if you use it properly. The standard presser foot should be all you need for about 95% of what you will need to do.
    The only other foot you _might_ need to invest in is a zipper foot but then only if you plan to do zipper sewing. You might want a button hole foot but again it is of limited use and certainly not required. If you are planning on doing _a lot_ of tarps you might find a walking foot useful. But they are not available for every machine. They keep the fabric moving at the same speed top and bottom even better than a roller foot.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts