Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    foam pad
    Suspension
    Warbonnet web
    I'm only a few pounds short of you Stormstaff and my BB. feels as secure and comfy as it gets.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Another for the Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 Double Layer. I gotta agree wit Shug on this. I don't see a point in buying a starter hammock, then upgrading to this hammock and then upgrading to that hammock. IMO, just get a great hammock to begin with and be done with it. My $0.01 to add to Shug's for $0.02 worth.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird Double Layer
    Tarp
    Custom
    Insulation
    Fleece bag
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    I am 6'2 and 310 and my ENO Doublenest is holding up well from nightly use.- George

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I'm your size and a WBBB REALLY works well. I went for a cheaper "noob" hammock and it didn't work for me. It would have saved me $ in the long run to just buy the WBBB. If you want to go an inexpensive do a 1.9 rip-stop nylon, double layer hammock. They're simple to make and handy to use with pads or under quilts (you can adjust your quilt from both sides in a no-net hammock).
    Last edited by Beast 71; 06-22-2010 at 22:59. Reason: bad spelling
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    I know that everyone is pitching the WB BB but don't forget to look at the Switchback from Tree to Trail Gear. They are also American made, and also members of the site.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL & GT Single & nano-7
    Tarp
    Poly Camo 8x10
    Insulation
    KAQLostRiver & Pad
    Suspension
    OEM&WhoopieSlings
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormstaff View Post
    Maybe my search-foo sucks but what would you folks suggest for a noob in the 305ish lbs range to start with? (other than a diet)

Store bought? DIY? (would have to be easy)

If premade, who and what model? Also, not looking to break the bank either since this is a trial.

Thanks in advance!

Kirk
    Kirk,
    You don't say whether your looking to hammock camp, or just hang for an afternoon....
    I'm a big guy like yourself: 6'0", 287-292lbs. My goto hammock right now is a GrandTrunk single and I'm pretty darn happy with it... still using the stock suspension for most hangs with it, and have no tarp, treeslings, or bug net to go with it at the 'mo.
    If you're looking to hammock camp, consider the WBBB 1.7 double layer. It's on my short list, along with the Claytor Jungle Hammock (and fly). they may look fairly expensive, but adding a good suspension, bugnet, and fly to your other choices starts bringing them into the same price range. (and you'll either love being able to piecemeal your way to the 'perfect' hang with personally selected gear, or you'll be quickly overwhelmed with all your choices.)
    Peter

Hammock
    Speer Hammock IIIC
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer SnugFit
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie slings
    www.mosquitohammock.com

JUNGLE HAMMOCK & FLY
    Design: Designed for extreme wet jungle climates. Camouflage or Dark Green waterproof fabric. 100% waterproof, and there is a double bottom layer sleeve to slide a foam pad in for snow and winter camping. Longer, stronger and heavier than the Expedition Hammock, so it can handle taller and heavier people. It is also extremely comfortable for sleeping (as reported by our customers). The dark mosquito netting is easy to see out of with a heavy duty zipper than you can open from the inside or the outside. The Diamond shaped Rain Fly Sheet has 4 reinforced attach points and comes with 4 lines. Elastic cords hold the mosquito netting away from your face. Hammock has a mesh pocket inside the hammock and two hanging loops at either end inside the mesh mosquito net for hanging a flashlight or other gear. This hammock is used by the Foreign Legion in French Guiana, the Italian Marines, the South African Defense Force, the British Special Forces, Irish Guards and Queens Guards. This is our best hammock and should last 5 years of hard use. Sleeve: All Jungle Hammocks have the original design double bottom open sleeve to slide a foam pad in (no zipper). Color: Camouflage or Dark Green (both hammock and fly are the same color). Stuff Sack: Camouflage or Dark Green. Material: 244 ripstop Nylon. Hammock Dimensions: 300cm long x 125cm wide (9' 9" long x 4' wide). Comfortable for a person up to 7' 5" and 350 pounds. Rain Sheet Dimensions: Diamond shape - 400cm long x 300cm wide & 250cm along each side (13' long x 10' wide). Weight: 1.5kg. (3lbs.) for Hammock & Fly. MORE PICTURES.
    COST: US$150 (more than one: US$140 each).
    COST (without Diamond Fly): US$120
    SHIPPING: WORLDWIDE FREE.

A 3-lb package that will support you and your dog for only $150. The double bottom accomodates your existing sleeping pad, which cuts your initial costs quite a bit. If the hammocking bug bites, you'll want to pick up an underquilt eventually, but can easily defer that expense until you see if you get hooked or not.

You will probably want to replace the stock suspension, but that, too, can wait. I'd be tempted if I buy another to have it shipped to Paul at Arrowhead Equipment and have him rig it with whoopie slings, rings, and a ridgeline.

One thing you should be aware of, trees in CA can be BIG. One camping website says the ideal tree to hang from is 4-inches in diameter. Good luck finding a 4-inch tree in the redwood forests. I got 10-ft tree straps and don't regret it, as it gives me many more options in choosing trees to use in the Pacific NW.

Watch Professor Hammocks three-part youtube series on hammock suspensions before deciding on a modification. And, watch Shug's 10-part youtube series on hammocking for noobs.

Good choosing and good hanging.

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    I went with the WB Traveler 1.7 DL because I did not want an integrated bug net. I'll get or make my own surround-style bug net soon after my Traveler arrives in the mail. I'm not as gravity intense as you are but I'm around 260lbs or so.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    don't forget to look at the Switchback from Tree to Trail Gear. They are also American made, and also members of the site.
    You're right! I forgot about the Switchback.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    KAQ
    Suspension
    Web strap
    Well now I will add my two cent. I was 290 when the hammock bug bit me. I did take the big first step of getting the WBBB. I had to wait for three weeks to get it. In the meantime I made six different hammocks most out of 1.9 ripstop. Two were doubles and they all held up fine. Then my WBBB showed up! wow it is out of this world. I Have sold or given the other diy hammock to my boy scout troop. I suggest forgoing the diy and bite the bullet an get the WBBB you will not be disappointed. IMO
    Last edited by Mkrzyski; 06-23-2010 at 09:46. Reason: Spelling

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast