diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    i did not spend any time with pj,he was well mannered and i believe he could have left me well behind,strong hiker indeed.i will echo what shug said about sam.great trail companion.well mannered,strong hiker.i tried to get him to carry my pack to as he was going so fast.he also wanted to learn,asked questions.he cracked me up several times.i would also be happy to hike with him again
    happy hangin
    bill

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    i just got back from a small 2 day trip with my dad at mt greylock. I am 18 so not really a kid. but still a father/son trip. I am more of an outdoorsman than he is though haha. I was showing him stuff as he has always been a supporter of my hobbies and whatnot. I am getting him into the hammocks now and we might be going on the new england hang in july.

Hammock
    Eno
    Tarp
    diy cat cut
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Just took my 2.5 and 4.5 yr old kids on their 1st hike. It was only a mile, and lunch at the river and a bit of bouldering before heading back, but a great experience. We camp with them a lot, and they both take over the hammock when it is up. Can't wait to do an overnight with them!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladybird View Post
    Just took my 2.5 and 4.5 yr old kids on their 1st hike. It was only a mile, and lunch at the river and a bit of bouldering before heading back, but a great experience. We camp with them a lot, and they both take over the hammock when it is up. Can't wait to do an overnight with them!
    Sounds like you're ready for a short over-nighter to me. HeadRush(Sam) started when he was 2.5-3. He usually carried his bear, some clothes and some water in his own little pack. Got smoke(soot) all over his face and dirt all over everything else. He always had fun and I've had fun watching him. All five of my kids started about that same age.

Have fun, Randy
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    Sailing or hiking in the mountains...nothing better for a kid than to get away from home, get away from false safety, get out where there's risk and wildness, and learn how to stay dry and warm, learn how a cup of cocoa and some jerky can satisfy, learn how to sleep outside, learn confidence in adventure...and nothing better for an adult to do the same things with a kid. All good, and some kind of scientific mathematical physic physical formula that in groups doing these things, our individual ages are actually the average of the group.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    KAQ
    Suspension
    Web strap
    I agree but in reverse? I would like my son (15) to be around adult men that are not all about themselves, ie drinking, sex, like most movies and TV show's depict but rather men that still do have wholesome fun.The more I can get him around decent adult men the better. At his age he needs to see men interact as men not men acting like Homer Simpson.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mkrzyski View Post
    I agree but in reverse? I would like my son (15) to be around adult men that are not all about themselves, ie drinking, sex, like most movies and TV show's depict but rather men that still do have wholesome fun.The more I can get him around decent adult men the better. At his age he needs to see men interact as men not men acting like Homer Simpson.
    Amen, Amen, Amen
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    I sure didn't mean to suggest that men would act like drunk young fools because of average age; just the reverse in all cases;;; that its great for skylarkers to be with adults out of the home environment, and great for adults to be less self-centered, to spend time mentoring, and that it makes us old people feel younger when we are with kids. Sorry if I disguised the verbage.

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Kids on the trail

At the Northern Hang I think it was great to have some realy fine young men with us. They both did there momma and daddys proud ! No whinnie and carried there own weight. It's a pure joy to be able to be around our future and have a chance to pass on what little I know.

Shug thanks for bringing up this thread and Hanging Yankee, Stairclimber thanks for bring them with !

fourdog

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    Wow Shug - now you're bringin a tear to my eyes (well... I'll admit to one tear- and only in one eye <grin>) - them was some real heartfelt words... I best borrow me some kids... heck... wifey and I best have some :-)

Thanks for sharin - made me feel like I was there and gave me some additional hope in this world... not that I lost it ever - but more never hurts.

Xex

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast