DIY RS custom
    Tarp
    DIY winter custom
    Insulation
    DIY UQ+TQ &/or bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie+Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    A lot of variables in making Opie's soft shackle - how big was your eye, how accurate was your backsplice, how well did you dress the knot. I'm all over the map....
    neat little calculator here to figure out what size you want to end up with:

http://l-36.com/soft_shackle_9.php

only goes down to 7/64" unless you modify the form code by hand

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Silvr it is strange, b/c in isolation each of the steps are simple and use the same measurements. I agree the knot may be most responsible, I seem to have varying levels of success in getting every bit of the diamond knot super tight. As you mentioned it does seem to depend on the piece of Amstel being used.

Are you using a buried loop for the unknotted end or sliding 8? In my experience the latter is more consistent in terms of length (as well as being easier to open) as length reduction from a bury isn't always consistent even when using 'same' cordage.

Anyway, that's a solid batch of them you got there. Now that you've got all of those, maybe try a pair as a replacement for fixed eye in a whoopie? One of the better "I wonder how this'll work" brain farts I've had..
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Glad to see this one back up. Easily one of my most favourite threads and a good reason to why I joined HF.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Images
    Haven't tried this yet so forgive me for asking a stupid question, but did you pull the amsteal taught before marking measurements?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcheviot View Post
    ...Now that you've got all of those, maybe try a pair as a replacement for fixed eye in a whoopie? One of the better "I wonder how this'll work" brain farts I've had..
    Not sure if you mean to connect a whoopie with a soft shackle or to build one into the end instead of a fixed eye.

I did a "tied" line end biner several years ago for easily removable tie outs. That method worked well enough for tarp duty but would probably bind and be hard to remove if used for a hammock suspension.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcheviot View Post
    Silvr it is strange, b/c in isolation each of the steps are simple and use the same measurements. I agree the knot may be most responsible, I seem to have varying levels of success in getting every bit of the diamond knot super tight. As you mentioned it does seem to depend on the piece of Amstel being used.

Are you using a buried loop for the unknotted end or sliding 8? In my experience the latter is more consistent in terms of length (as well as being easier to open) as length reduction from a bury isn't always consistent even when using 'same' cordage.

Anyway, that's a solid batch of them you got there. Now that you've got all of those, maybe try a pair as a replacement for fixed eye in a whoopie? One of the better "I wonder how this'll work" brain farts I've had..
    I'm not using the diamond knot - the pictoral in this thread calls for a double overhand knot (I think it's called). This pictoral calls for a buried loop (don't know what a sliding 8 is).

How the heck would a soft shackle replace the fixed eye on a whoopie? Having a hard time envisioning it.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    Haven't tried this yet so forgive me for asking a stupid question, but did you pull the amsteal taught before marking measurements?
    Yep, I pull it tight but not so much as to distort it (not that Amsteel stretches much anyway). The end-of-spool stuff is definitely harder to measure because it's compressed in different ways along the length of the cord and won't lay flat.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    The left end is what I call the "Sliding 8", find it works much better than trying to bury the eye in construction and use:

(vs opie's version)

As for replacing the fixed eye in a whoopie, what you're really doing is making the fixed eye tight around the shackle, so it effectively replaces it and acts as an amsteel Dutch hook/clip:

The loop I'm holding onto was just an idea I had that something could be hung there, it's just the two tails of the stopper knot spliced together. Works okay in practice for light things, have since done away with them for a single tail. These would need to be made with a diamond or other safe load bearing knot to use for suspension (of course).

I've been using these (and calling them nacrawhoopies) for ~3 years now w/ zero issues or problems. Have them color coded for different length whoopies as I usually bring a 4' and 6' with me, and can mix and match suspension w/ various hammocks as needed.

I have some better close up pics, just not online at the moment. Hope this clears up my comments a bit.

- MrC / jeremyr

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Also forgot to mention, once the locked brummel is done for the "Sliding 8" you don't actually need to bury one tail into the other for the length of the shackle - instead you'll end up with two parallel lines running towards the stopper knot, which is fine or perhaps preferable for some applications. Again, simpler to construct and probably results in more consistent shackle lengths.

Flickr
    YouTube

Hammock
    DIY RS custom
    Tarp
    DIY winter custom
    Insulation
    DIY UQ+TQ &/or bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie+Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'm not using the diamond knot - the pictoral in this thread calls for a double overhand knot (I think it's called). This pictoral calls for a buried loop (don't know what a sliding 8 is)...
    The diamond knot is one of the few knots that will not slip when using amsteel/dyneema. Just to be clear, even the "stopper" knot shown on the first page of this thread will slip if given enough force.

• + New Posts
  • Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast