Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB
    I'm 6'3" 220lbs and while there are many options out there that would work for you I can speak to one in particular. The Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl if a fine hammock. You can get really comfy in one. I'd highly recommend one

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Here is another Blackbird vote. I am 6'2" &260# and the double 1.7 BB is rock solid. I imagine you would do fine with a double 1.1 and save a few oz in weight. My advise: if you can afford the WBBB, buy it and then go cheap on your first tarp. You can get a decent tarp for about $30 bucks (Chinook 12' x 9'6"). Also like it was said already if you buy the Blackbird and don't like hammock camping, use it on your trip and then sell it here for almost full price.

Another feature of the WBBB that I love is the "shelf" inside. Super convenient for your night time essentials.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Etowah 10X12 Camo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Wishing,

Welcome to the "fold"!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by GvilleDave View Post
    Here is another Blackbird vote. I am 6'2" &260# and the double 1.7 BB is rock solid. I imagine you would do fine with a double 1.1 and save a few oz in weight. My advise: if you can afford the WBBB, buy it and then go cheap on your first tarp...
    I'm another Blackbird (WBBB) vote! My wife is about your size and finds my WBBB VERY comfy. I'd also like to recommend, in addition to GvilleDave tarp suggestion, is to use a pad and sleeping bag that you already own to keep initial costs down. If you don't already own a pad borrow one or buy a cheap closed cell foam pad from Walmart, they run less than $20.

Another question is, do you sew? if you do you can find alot of info here about making gear. Check out Rambl'nRevs post, they're helpful.

Well, as to how soon, we are leaving in the middle of July, and as far as price I would like to see it stay between 100-175...depending on the quality, as this is my first real hammock, I would like for it to be comfortable, and I guess I would prefer it to be near the lower end of my budget, but if it makes me miserable a cheap one isn't worth the savings...

and actually, I DO sew...I designed and made re-enactment garb for many years...but I'm not sure about working with nylon (that is what is used isn't it??)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by wishing2gonorth View Post
    ...but I'm not sure about working with nylon (that is what is used isn't it??)
    Yep. Alot of people prefer ripstop nylon but other types of nylon work well enough. I haven't sewn since the 9th grade and I did fine, I'd bet you'd be an expert in no time with your experience. Check out the DIY section on the forum, there is tons of info.

If you're leaving for your trip in mid July and you want a Warbonnet Blackbird you should pm Brandon at Warbonnet to see if you can get it in time.

OK...another quick question, what do you-all think of the EXPEDITION ASYM ZIP Hennessy hammock? Will it keep me dry, is it comfortable? My husband will be coming along and he will have a tent to stow my gear in so all I really need is to sleep soundly so I can keep up with the scouts that are full of energy

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Etowah 10X12 Camo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by wishing2gonorth View Post
    OK...another quick question, what do you-all think of the EXPEDITION ASYM ZIP Hennessy hammock? Will it keep me dry, is it comfortable? My husband will be coming along and he will have a tent to stow my gear in so all I really need is to sleep soundly so I can keep up with the scouts that are full of energy
    That was my 2nd choice, 1st being the WB Traveler DL

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    You may also want to consider the Claytor jungle hammock. They have a devote following here on HF and are very resonably priced. $150 for the double layer hammock and a tarp. You can buy a cheap closed cell foam pad for insulation and use a sleeping bag as a top quilt like Beast 71 suggested.

Good luck.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast