How about this sewing machine? [Quick repsonse needed!]

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/fuo/1808733626.html

It is a Westinghouse, in-table sewing machine.

This is the information I have gathered through email:
    "It hasn’t been used in 12 years, but it worked back then. I think my mom used it for 35 years so it’s probably 50 years old."

Is this the ideal type of machine for making gear and such?
    -legs

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    IMO... I wouldn't touch it. The picture is not very good but it looks like the thread tension is a leaf spring type mechanism. (It could be a lamp, the positioning makes it hard to tell. And I don't see the usual tension dial in that picture but it is not a very good shot.) If that is the case it is WAY older than the fifties. It will almost certainly need servicing. 12 years of sitting idle will have dried the machine out. To use it without servicing could damage the mechanics from running dry.

It will cost you another $60 minimum to have it serviced that's over $100 for a pig in a poke. I'd suggest a local sewing center. I don't like buying a pig in a poke.

If that's all the seller can tell you about the machine I wouldn't trust his/her knowledge of the machine or mostly anything about it.

If you had time to ask around about parts availability and service availability then maybe. But if a quick response is _required_ I'd pass on it. But that's just my 2 cents.

Edit: In looking at it again I don't see a stitch length adjustment nor a reverse stitch. The reverse is not a biggie that can be worked around. But the lack of stitch length adjustment places it's age at WAY old than the 50's. My guess is the bobbins would no longer be available for it and if the bobbin case needs replacing you would be hard pressed to acquire the part.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 06-25-2010 at 09:10.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Rev is probably right ... but, can you go see it, taking some sewing machine oil and fabric? The table alone might be worth it if you need one. ("Try to distinguish between what you need and what you wish you needed.") If I lived near Cary I'd go look myself.

I can go look at it if I want, but I don't know a **** thing about these machines...so I wouldn't know what to look for or what I am looking at.

This isn't something I "need" at all, but I "want" to invest in something of quality (note: invest ) but still affordable. I figured I could talk to guy down to $30-$40 since he said he plans to donate it to charity sometime next week.

I gather that this is NOT a machine for a noob. I assume it would amount in more headache than it's worth.
    Thanks for the quick replies guys! I'll keep on looking.

PS. What should I be looking for in a machine then? (I thought this one was going to be a winner!! :P)
    -legs

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by legs View Post
    PS. What should I be looking for in a machine then? (I thought this one was going to be a winner!! :P)
    I'm starting a new thread on that question. Maybe we can get it set as a sticky.

coming soon to the DIY forum near you.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 06-25-2010 at 10:41.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I have a similar (Older) machine by Singer, UM,,,,, NO! We use ours for Heavy duty straight stitch only & it works great on that. But it "Freaks out" on the lighter stuff. Also, getting one fixed may cost you more than it's worth, which is another reason ours sees minimal use.

If all you are going to make is a few stuff sacks once & a while, it will probably do fine. BUT, I would add another $60.00 & get a (Cheap) modern machine. OR, Big Lots had one for $30.00 a few weeks ago that will sew pretty good AND runs on batteries if need be. I have one for use at work & it sews everything from sil to webbing. I don't think I would sew a tarp with it, but it works for what I want it to do.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Gathered-end DIY
    Tarp
    rectangular
    Insulation
    CCF+polar blanket
    Suspension
    straps
    If your'e antique collector - take it at once, the chair is not bad too
    If this is your first buy and you have something like 50$ to spend - how much gear would you like to produce with this machine? Maybe it will be cheaper to pay for the job than to pay for the machine?
    Few pebbles to your garden - advice from watching my GF at work:
    If you take it used - you have to be lucky or experienced to take a serviceable thing (or serviced recently) that just works as it should. This things are getting its own way of sewing over time, develop its own ideas to sew or not to sew some things, so may not always work as expected. The cheaper brands are definitely more clever and stubborn in raising your blood pressure. Any small defect, like breaking thread once in 10 minutes will make your work longer and more frustrating.
    If you take it new, but lower shelf brand - it will last long, but you will loose your nerves frequently. It will learn you how to care for this type of gear - frequent cleaning, oiling, some seams will not work over time. And you have to set it up, make some adjustments here and there just after buying it.
    When you buy cheap new machine, but with brand like Singer or Brother - you unpack it and its ready to go - it needs servicing once a year if you're working it few hours a day.

Buy something small, cheap, but new and decent brand if you don't have experienced person to listen or to watch how the sewing is going. And if you have a sawing friend - let he/she help you, teach you how to measure, cut, fold, sew. Its easier that way than struggling with making your first straight seam alone.

I even considered buying battery operated toy-like thing from Singer (Pixie plus) for fast repairs during car-camping. This goes for about 40$ new, 2 years of guarantee. Maybe I'm girly or something, liking this particular item, dunno. I have really strange sense of humor.
    Last edited by Q_x; 06-26-2010 at 01:54.

• + New Posts