Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks for the quick reply!

What would you recommend for under a 100$ new. I don't make a lot of gear, actually I haven't made any yet. I love hammocks! I've been using camping hammocks since... well, I can't remember, but its been a long time. I have a bunch of hennessy hammocks (cocoon, several expeditions, deep jungle XL zip), all of which I love. However, I am now on a quest to build a custom camping hammock for myself and maybe one for a friend. The TI must be able to sew zippers. Thanks again.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    For <$100 I would not buy anything new. I would look to the local repair shop for a used machine. All you really need is a straight stitch and an available zipper foot if you want to use zippers.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

I love this forum. thanks again!

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1/1.9 gathered end
    Tarp
    Noah 9 for now
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, pad
    Suspension
    woopies/straps
    great info, looking to get a new TI, will check the TI stores first for quality new to me one.

Hammock
    12' diy hammock
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    warmth
    Suspension
    cinch buckle

Re: Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

I just have something to say about compressed air. In the cans the air is co2, but I'm not totally sure about that, that is neutral. If your using an air compressor then it will have humidity that gets in with the air. I think some of the higher end ones have a filter or something to keep the water out, but I have no experience with those. So when you spray your electronics you're also spraying water vapor on the board. If for some reason your doing this while it has power you will quickly fry it. Earlier it was mentioned to drain the caps so I'm not getting into that but it is part of powering it down when your doing maintenance.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    wow, this information is invaluable. Thank you so much. It really helps me out an extreme amount as I just got in to thread injecting and am feeling like the person looking for "Wheres Waldo" when it comes to looking for a machine to buy. I've watched your video series and that was a huge help as well. But I cant borrow my gf's mother's thread injector forever....

Thanks!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    None yet
    I was lucky enough to learn how to sew and maintain the machine's while in the military. I was a parachute rigger in the Marine's while assigned to recon units. Now to use that knowledge to make fun stuff.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod &amp; DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide &amp; Anchor
    Glad this thread popped up again today as my machine just punked out on me.

Found a used Husqvarna Viking at a sewing shop that I feel good about after reading through this excellent material.

The guy said it has a low gear that can be used on canvas, leather ... Cant wait to check it out next week.

It will take a few projects to recoup the cost but I expect a more pleasant sewing experience than the last few days, for sure!

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    Found a used Husqvarna Viking at a sewing shop that I feel good about after reading through this excellent material.

The guy said it has a low gear that can be used on canvas, leather ... Cant wait to check it out next week.

It will take a few projects to recoup the cost but I expect a more pleasant sewing experience than the last few days, for sure!

That machine, with the low gear, was an absolute beast. It would take _anything_ you wanted to throw at it. If it is from a good shop I would jump on it like white on rice. Take care of it. It is a workhorse.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    100% Wool Blanket
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Just to put in an oar... When I decided I needed a thread injector to make gear, I was interested in two features: It had to be heavy duty, able to stitch multiple layers of webbing or 1000D ripstop, and it needed to be reliable. I later added that it needed to be able to do a reverse stitch, but that's about it.

I ended up buying a clean, serviced Singer Model 66 made in 1941 via e-bay. I had to build a base for it, but it worked perfectly and will make straight stitches all day in anything from multiple layers of webbing to leather. If I had a need, it could be fitted with a treadle (which are more expensive than the thread injector!), but it came with a brand new motor and runs like a top.

Why so old? The problem with new machines is that to get the cost down they use plastic parts even in critical locations. Steel and cast iron are heavy and today are expensive, but they don't wear if you keep them properly lubricated and will last virtually forever.

Just food for thought.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast