Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Arrow Backpacking with HF Kids.......

On this past Northern Hang 3 I backpacked with a young feller and a younger feller.
    Been thinking about it ...... realized that I have not backpacked with a kid since I was a kid!!
    My daughter camped with me and Meg but never toted a load for miles.
    Let me tell you all ..... I really had a good time with them along. Sam ...now known as HeadRush was really and truly and honestly (To My Profound Delight) a polite, fun, interesting, brave and fun kid!!!!! Hangin'Yankee .... you and your Mrs. Hangin'Yankee are to be commended. And proud.
    HeadRush never showed nothin' but Joy. He was able to communicate with adults and even had some really good come-backs to me ....and those that know me know I am a super smart-alec. Good stuff.
    I loved hearing Father and Son laugh and stuff as they went to their hammock sector. Heartwarming .......
    His Dad gives him autonomy on the trail .... trusts his hiking skills and trusts him with a knife and fire. Hard for a parent ... I know .... but builds character in a kid.... and HeadRush is full of character. He is 10 years old. Wow. I will hike with him anytime. Believe me .... Ol' Shug does not say that easily.
    Then we had a teen .... PJ ... Stairguy's son. Quiet and a very strong hiker. Him and I got to share a bit of time hiking out after day two. We talked woods, Scouts and I know for a teen to carry on with an older sod like me ..... well ... it was cool.
    Seeing Fathers and sons together on the trail was very cool. and hiking with kids was new for me.
    There must be something about the piney woods that brings out the best in us all ..... age be defied. Just don't matter. Young or old... we just want to hang in our hammocks in the woods and listen to the coyotes and loons.
    That's all I got to say about that I reckon.
    Shug
    Last edited by Shug; 06-23-2010 at 09:38.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Might be all ya got to say on the matter but said well. Makes ya feel good sharing a trail with those fine young men. Miss hiking with my son .... daughter never took to it but did share a few short trails with the old man. Use to bribe her up the track with lemon cookies! Still a family chuckle now and then!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Twitter

Great stuff, and very well said Shug!!!
    I've got two daughter's that "LOVE" to go camping, it is only car camping, but, soon we will try our luck on a little hiking!

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    My soon to be 9 year old son, trail name Short Stuff, loves to camp and loves to hang in his own hammock. I'd like to get him into hiking some time once the weather cools off a bit here. Maybe a short fall overnight trip with him around the beginning of October.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Well said Mr. Shug!! This speaks volumes about the parents..
    And giving these youngsters skills and confidence to last a lifetime is a beautiful thing.....

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl Coyote Brown
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Hey Shug,

That's awesome that you enjoyed hiking with the kids. I know the kids sure like you. They're always mimicking you. My kids died laughing when you did the Karl bit about the pack not minding what Jesse was a doin' to it. The real reference was completely lost on them, but your reaction and "oh gaahhh" at the end really tickled their funny bones...mine too! Reminded me of how Tim Conway used to crack up over his own antics. I bet I hear Shug references at least once a day around my house.

The last two nights, I've slept in the hammock in the woods with my oldest son. What do you think my son did this morning? Breakfast from the hammock...complete with the Scot/Irish accent! I'm tellin' ya, these kids love The Shug.

I would think most folks here have a great love and respect for the outdoors, and that is handed down to the kids. I think most outdoorsy folks like us tend to be respectful and polite and friendly, and that has to rub off on the kids, so they aren't the stereotypical wild and loud hellions most of us fear and dread.

There's probably no greater satisfaction in life than having the honor of mentoring young kids, and whether you know it or not, you're having an impact on a lot of kids (and adults, too), teaching them the hammock way. Teachers could learn a lot from you. You make learning entertaining and fun...and you can juggle and ride a unicycle...dang!!!

Salty

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Might be all ya got to say on the matter but said well. Makes ya feel good sharing a trail with those fine young men. Miss hiking with my son .... daughter never took to it but did share a few short trails with the old man. Use to bribe her up the track with lemon cookies! Still a family chuckle now and then!
    I would follow too for lemon cookies ..... one of my faves!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Antig View Post
    Twitter
    No .... Tooter!

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Great stuff, and very well said Shug!!!
    I've got two daughter's that "LOVE" to go camping, it is only car camping, but, soon we will try our luck on a little hiking!
    I hope it takes....

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    My soon to be 9 year old son, trail name Short Stuff, loves to camp and loves to hang in his own hammock. I'd like to get him into hiking some time once the weather cools off a bit here. Maybe a short fall overnight trip with him around the beginning of October.
    Yes ... and bring candy from the mercantile.......

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Well said Mr. Shug!! This speaks volumes about the parents..
    And giving these youngsters skills and confidence to last a lifetime is a beautiful thing.....
    That it does. Gives me hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Hey Shug,

That's awesome that you enjoyed hiking with the kids. I know the kids sure like you. They're always mimicking you. My kids died laughing when you did the Karl bit about the pack not minding what Jesse was a doin' to it. The real reference was completely lost on them, but your reaction and "oh gaahhh" at the end really tickled their funny bones...mine too! Reminded me of how Tim Conway used to crack up over his own antics. I bet I hear Shug references at least once a day around my house.

The last two nights, I've slept in the hammock in the woods with my oldest son. What do you think my son did this morning? Breakfast from the hammock...complete with the Scot/Irish accent! I'm tellin' ya, these kids love The Shug.

I would think most folks here have a great love and respect for the outdoors, and that is handed down to the kids. I think most outdoorsy folks like us tend to be respectful and polite and friendly, and that has to rub off on the kids, so they aren't the stereotypical wild and loud hellions most of us fear and dread.

There's probably no greater satisfaction in life than having the honor of mentoring young kids, and whether you know it or not, you're having an impact on a lot of kids (and adults, too), teaching them the hammock way. Teachers could learn a lot from you. You make learning entertaining and fun...and you can juggle and ride a unicycle...dang!!!

Salty
    Thankee Salty .... kinda scary to know that the videos and such have an effect!!!!!! That is why whether it is my show or a video .... I try to be honestly me ... sure, a bit of a heightened me.... but an honest me. I learned from a teacher once that we do have an influence on people so do not do it with your 70% or less ....... give 100%.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Thanks for sharing this. Glad to see someone enjoy a hike with kids. Hiking with kids is a different experience that I love everytime I hike with 2sticks (daughter)

Maybe one day you can do a "Southern Hang" and enjoy another hike with kids. I don't know about you hiking with 2sticks though, nobody else would get any video time

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    not sure yet
    great thread guys,,,,, makes me happy to hear that kind of stuff,,,,

sad to say but im the only one in my entire family that would even go near the woods
    so im just real happy for all of you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast