Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD 9x9
    Insulation
    EVA

Mini tarp DIY / DDfrontline modification

Hey guys,

first of all, my English i not the best, so please forgive me my mistakes.

A more or less long long time ago, I was thinking about making a tarp and a hammock by myself. I didn't have the time to do so, so I decided to buy a DD Tarp (9x9) an a Frontline hammock.

While I was playing around with them, trying tarp tensioners, tensioning knots,Clamcleat Line-Loks and so on, this fever of the DIY Virus got me back.

Having a bigger Tarp I was thinking about making a micro tarp (made without a ridge line seam) for my hammock. I was thinking of a 13x5 diagonal hung cat tarp. My problem is that i dont know if the 60" width of the fabric are enough to protect my from rain withe a light breeze. Especially when made in a cad cut. What would you think? Should i make it a hex one or a straight A-frame for more coverage?
    I would be glad if you could tell me about your thoughts.

The second thing is just a little question about modifications on the gathered ends of the DD hammock. Could I make the hammock more comfortabe to lay in by changing the ends to a W-whiping? I am not able to lay totaly straight in the hammock (i think it's because it is too narrow). Is there any experiance on this out there?

have a nice day,

best regards,

Nico

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Nico,
    I assume your 13 x 5 dimensions are in feet. You could use a shorter length of fabric if you wish. A 5 ft x 9 ft tarp gives you better than a 10 ft diagonal for a ridgeline, which is enough for a mini tarp. The diagonal hang gives better coverage for the hammock, too. It can be tied down tightly for better protection. I think cat cuts may be less necessary with small tarps.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy hex
    Insulation
    diy kaq & down top
    Images
    Hallo Nico und schöne Grüße! (Ich komme aus St. Louis aber bin im Moment in Siegen) Herzlich wilkommen im Forum!

My hammock has W whipping, and I do find this helps me to lay flat. No harm in trying it--you can always change it back later if it doesn't help you.
    A good caver never loses her pack.

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD 9x9
    Insulation
    EVA
    Thanks for the welcome

WV, I am sorry, but i don't understand what you mean with
    A 5 ft x 9 ft tarp gives you better than a 10 ft diagonal for a ridge line
    Did you mean I should use a 5x9 ft diagonal or rectangular?
    I could use a shorter tar, that is right. I just thought that if my tarp is a diagonal or hexagonal one it would be better to have a longer one to protect the hammock's ends.

Nico

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy hex
    Insulation
    diy kaq & down top
    Images
    He means if you use a 5x9 foot tarp your diagonal will be longer than 10 feet, which is long enough. 5x13 gives you a diagonal much longer than you really need.

If you want to hang it rectangular or hex, make it maybe 5x11. If you want to hang it diagonal, you should be fine with 5x9. But with a 5x9 on the diagonal you will have a little less coverage. I think
    A good caver never loses her pack.

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD 9x9
    Insulation
    EVA
    AH ok...thanks.

If I'd hang a 5x11 or 5x13 or whatever size that is no square (9x9 ie) it would hang asymmetrical...what I ment with 5x13 was 5ft fabric width and a ride line of 13 ft. Some kind of diamond fly. So i'd have the best coverage for the part that is nearest to the ground..and most exposed (if this is the right word here)...my but.

I thought the relative long ridge line would give me ba bit more fabric over my head and feet which would be not covered that well, especially with a cad cut.

Do you think this tarp will give me enough coverage in normal conditions without strong winds? Or would it be better to make a hex one?

A one more thing: Is there any experience with the type of tieouts where you say a channel in the outer seams and run a cord through it, making a loop on each tieout?

Nico

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD 9x9
    Insulation
    EVA
    does nobody have a tip for me?

• + New Posts