Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Well, since you are in a HH, I'll do my duty and mention the HH SuperShelter, which I think works quite well really, once you learn it's little idiosyncrasies. It is easily added to with clothing etc to take it too much lower temps. And TD claimed a lot of success using those GG pads underneath, in a "T" configuration, on top of the HH OCF pad.

But do I understand that you already have underquilts? If so, no need to look at SS. But you are already having to augment with pads inside. So, whether to augment an UQ or SS or just to use pads alone, have you considered the SPE? It works really well to help control a pad or multiple pads. Good luck with the cold weather!
    Bill
    Hi Bill, You've successfully done your duty. We actually have one. Wind isn't what's causing my problem and according to Rock if that were my problem then he'd have me using the SS.

Yes I do have the JRB No Sniveler that I use for my under quilt.

Actually did think about the SPE, my "Critter pad" was sort of a homemade version to try (without the sleeve part). I think it might would've worked OK if I hadn't had to chase the bottom half around the hammock every time I moved. LOL. FYI y'all Therm-A-Rest Z-Lite pads and hammocks don't seem to work well together - at least they haven't for me - can we say slippery?

By the way, we did go with the GG Thinlight pad afterall - Thank you HC! I got totally frustrated with the Oware site and the GG pad was $2 cheaper for the same thing. Yep I'll save a buck or two where I can!
    Trail Angel

one thought about pads that move around in the hammock - I think that if one were to glue a couple 6 inch squares of that rubbery shelf liner material to the bottom of the pad then the pad won't move very much anymore. This is not something I have tried but I have heard of other lesser beings using the technique in their tents with slippery silnylon floors.

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    I think that if one were to glue a couple 6 inch squares of that rubbery shelf liner material to the bottom of the pad then the pad won't move very much anymore.
    I haven't used the shelf liner in the hammock but I can attest to it preventing things from sliding around. We use it under our matress at home to keep it from sliding around on the bed platform.

Quote Originally Posted by dixicritter View Post
    I've slept on one of those military CCF pads...LOL. Difference is night and day. The military CCF pads are hard as a rock, where as these pads that HC and I are discussing are very soft and flexible. My hubby swears by his, but says he has to be careful because the pad does tear easily if not taken care of properly.

Also this pad is 'grippy' according to him, which is what I'm looking for. I'm sick and tired of playing 'chase the pad' all night.
    I have been having the same problem. I found a roll of the rubberized, non-slip pad that is used to keep throw rugs, etc. from sliding , this afternoon. I duct taped a piece about 12" X24" to the bottom of a sleeping bag right where it goes across the bottom ridge in the hammock floor. I put the CCF in the bag and zipped it up. It seems like it's holding the bag/pad in place with no tendency at all to slip. I am, of course, sleeping on top of the sleeping bag.

the pad stiffens the sleeping bag enough that positioning it is really easy untill i put my body weight on it.
    Keep in mind that I'm not very concerned about an extra pound or two, since I canoe, kayak or car camp exclusively.

You're lucky to have someone to get you started off on the right foot. I'm learning more or less by trial and error. Good luck to you.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    one thought about pads that move around in the hammock - I think that if one were to glue a couple 6 inch squares of that rubbery shelf liner material to the bottom of the pad then the pad won't move very much anymore. This is not something I have tried but I have heard of other lesser beings using the technique in their tents with slippery silnylon floors.
    i've herd of people using the rubbery mats to keep the pad from sliding around in the hammock, but that would probably be that much better... gluing it to the pad.
    but if you use the GG pad, i don't think it's going to slip any way.

a couple other thoughts...
    1)... the snugfit under quilt from speer hammocks. they make a version that works great w/ a hh. it stretches tight against the hammock, leaving no cold spots, & yet doesn't compress the insulation.
    2)... a down filled air mat (DAM) like the exped 7 or one from stephenson's warmlite.
    when used partly inflated, they are super comfortable & warm. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

I have a GG Thinlight wide 1/4" and regular 3/8" and they actually do still slide around some but not as much as some of the other pads. I just thought I would mention it so you aren't too disappointed expecting it to stay in place perfectly. My cool weather setup now consists of a Speer Snugfit and a GG Thinlight regular 3/8" CCF. I just got the Snugfit and will be testing it out in GSMNP in a couple weeks. I'm hoping I don't have to use the CCF at all. I guess we'll see.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wamyteipen View Post
    I have a GG Thinlight wide 1/4" and regular 3/8" and they actually do still slide around some but not as much as some of the other pads. I just thought I would mention it so you aren't too disappointed expecting it to stay in place perfectly. My cool weather setup now consists of a Speer Snugfit and a GG Thinlight regular 3/8" CCF. I just got the Snugfit and will be testing it out in GSMNP in a couple weeks. I'm hoping I don't have to use the CCF at all. I guess we'll see.
    be sure & let us know how that snug fit works in the cool temps.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    be sure & let us know how that snug fit works in the cool temps.
    Will do. I'm going to break down and buy a little thermometer so I can post accurate temps. I usually don't carry one but for the sake of science...

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wamyteipen View Post
    Will do. I'm going to break down and buy a little thermometer so I can post accurate temps. I usually don't carry one but for the sake of science...
    These little thermometers are cheap and work well. Not to the exact degree but close enough. Campmor and others sell them also.www.rei.com/product/408047
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Well, since you are in a HH, I'll do my duty and mention the HH SuperShelter, which I think works quite well really, once you learn it's little idiosyncrasies. It is easily added to with clothing etc to take it too much lower temps. And TD claimed a lot of success using those GG pads underneath, in a "T" configuration, on top of the HH OCF pad.
    Someone else here suggested putting the GG Thin under the SS pad, I believe. I just got the SS and Overcover yesterday, and was wondering what to do to extend the temps in it. Could one sleep on GG in a shelter or ground if they HAD to? Would help if it was multi functional as I hate to carry a "what if" pad only for possible go to ground.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast