Insulation
    warm stuff

Hammock friendly campground, great family trip!

I will try to make this short. We went camping at Northwest River Park in chesapeake, VA thursday night to saturday morning. It was HOT. I think it was like 108 degrees when we arrived thursday late afternoon. The park was nice, i think the camp sites are a little too close together, but the park was...well empty for the most part. there was hardly anyone there besides us when we checked in thursday. They only deal in cash or checks, no plastic. the little store was nice, plenty of wood to be found, strict no alcohol or drugs policy, mini golf, canoes, paddle boats, playgrounds. Nothing in the rules said anything about hanging a hammock, so we decided to hang them and see what happens. The park rangers patrolled regularly and never came to ask anything about them, but also never said we needed to take them down. I was worried because they did slow down and one even stopped in front of our site, but then just drove on. the bath houses are pretty nice too. The horse flies are BAD out there and it doesn't matter what you spray they a vicious beasts. The boy scouts have been doing a lot of service projects out there and making the park nicer.
    Thursday night at about 1am i noticed some lightning, we were told it was supposed to storm and with the heat we were hoping for it. The kids held out and stayed dry in the walmart special tent they were in, Cranky bear stayed pretty dry although he realized after the amazing storm started that he had forgotten to seam seal his tarp, so he had a few drips which he promptly grabbed something else to toss over his hammock to stay dry, and Max and I stayed nice and dry under my hex tarp. We haven't figured out the best way to take the dog yet and since we were car camping we took his big metal crate with us. I set up my hammock and put my tarp in a slanted porch mode so if is rained it would drain off, and stuck his crate right next to my hammock. it worked out great. Cranky bear had also made him a tie out with a webbing strap, some amsteel, and 2 locking caribiners. worked out great for what we needed.
    So all in all great trip, everything held up well and a hammock friendly park!
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once. Jennifer Unlimited
    Health food may be good for the conscience, but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better. -- Robert Redford

http://daydreamingmisadventurer.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Glad to hear that you had a nice trip.
    Terry

Insulation
    warm stuff
    Quick word of advice for my fellow hammockers

Permitheryn is great, but it DOES NOT STOP THE HORSE FLIES FROM BITING FROM THE UNDERSIDE!!!!
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once. Jennifer Unlimited
    Health food may be good for the conscience, but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better. -- Robert Redford

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Adia View Post
    Quick word of advice for my fellow hammockers

Permitheryn is great, but it DOES NOT STOP THE HORSE FLIES FROM BITING FROM THE UNDERSIDE!!!!
    no it doesn't LOL use an under quilt or pad no matter how hot. you got pics?? i love that area.

Insulation
    warm stuff
    sorry no pics yet i gotta get them from my sister, my camera battery died. it was a nice area, although i am quite glad to be home. I know tonight that no horse flies will be biting my bum while i sleep. Luckily Cranky Bear is nice enough to put the after bite stuff on for me, that's true love there.

• + New Posts