Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Just Jeff is right, kinda!!!!!!!!!! Most people are willing to pay a little more for and item when they can get it right then and there. I have to admit that I am guilty of this very same shopping pheanomenon! Lets face it, wating for an item will cause some people to spend a litlle extra for a desired item that they "need"!!!!!!!!! I like the idea and wish you all the luck in this endeavor.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've actually paid more for an item from a brick and mortar store than I could get it for online. He looked it up, said he couldn't match the price but could come close, and I gave him my business so I could keep the money in my community, build a relationship with a local vendor, have it right then, etc. I thought it was a fair investment. Still, you should be aware that much of your energy will be spent on customer service to people who are just researching and won't buy from you. But if you factor that into your business plan, you might get enough return for your time just from the reputation you build in the community.

I think having display models for comparison would help a lot. Lots of folks don't want to make such a big purchase w/o seeing all the options, and right now there really isn't a place to do that (other than HF gatherings). But that depends on the "local" community where your shoppers will come from...so location will be very important.

For internet sales, you'll be competing against the vendors themselves in most cases. It might be worth it to them to give you a volume discount, though...steady business, it gets their name out there, etc. That way you could sell it in the store for the same price they have on the site.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    My basement has planty of stoves, backpacks and water filters aslo.
    Mine too!!! It is awesome to have a home "testing facility".

I would love to see a local hammock store, good to touch and lay in the hammock and get an idea of what's available.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    Having display models has positives and negatives.

Positives
    - Higher sales and a sense of customer service

Negatives
    - Additional floor space
    - Cost of providing the hammock though you could sell it later at a reduced price
    - They will get damaged

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    My basement has plenty of stoves, backpacks and water filters aslo.
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Mine too!!! It is awesome to have a home "testing facility".
    So, Dutch and Gargoyle....

When will you be opening your stores for us to come and shop???? Since many of the items are used, can we expect a discount of some sort?

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I like to shop at Dutch outfitters.....what a great store...you always leave with a smile on your face
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    1.7 dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    The Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    40deg sleepingbag
    I don't think you'd want to have a lot of display models hanging out there at once. That's a lot of floorspace. Have a couple of hanging spaces then have a number of display hammocks that can be thrown up in a hurry.

I know that people would like to browse, but I'm thinking of our local paddling store. Its not particularly big, but is very well stocked. The friendly staff asks what you're looking for, price range, the use you want to get out of it, and starts to pull boats off the wall if you want to take a seat in one.

With online sales most people like to go direct to vendor, although being able to buy a WBBB, whoopie slings, dutch clips and what not all from one source might be nice.
    "By endevoring to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his *** in the bargin." - Aesop, had it figured out some 2500 years ago.

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FalseAesop View Post
    I don't think you'd want to have a lot of display models hanging out there at once. That's a lot of floorspace. Have a couple of hanging spaces then have a number of display hammocks that can be thrown up in a hurry.

I know that people would like to browse, but I'm thinking of our local paddling store. Its not particularly big, but is very well stocked. The friendly staff asks what you're looking for, price range, the use you want to get out of it, and starts to pull boats off the wall if you want to take a seat in one.

With online sales most people like to go direct to vendor, although being able to buy a WBBB, whoopie slings, dutch clips and what not all from one source might be nice.
    This is a good idea. It also allows you to show how they are setup.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Speaking for myself, I'd avoid selling something I was passionate about, because I fear that I'd be unable to disassociate my passion from my judgement. YMMV

That said, hammocks are a niche market...you'll need to cast a wider net. An outdoor outfitter with a strong hammock department would be more likely to succede. Like it or not, you're gonna have to sell some tents to pay the bills.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WBB Superfly
    Suspension
    Adjustable Web
    Images
    All,

Thanks for all the great advice and ideas. I realize that any business in today's world will have to compete with the internet. but I believe there are ways.

I realize the risk of mixing a passion and a job. I have always loved motorcycles, but owning a motorcycle dealership for several years only increased my interest.

I am still trying to work out the numbers, so...we'll see.

Thanks again everyone.
    Hammocker Prayer - "Don't every let my wife sell my hammock equipment for what I told her I paid for it."

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast