Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    If you read through the forums here enough, you will find most Hennessy Hammock owners have sent their hammocks to 2QZQ (manufacturer forum here) for one of their zipper mods.
    Saying most might be a tiny bit of hyperbole. There's not a lot of point to somebody posting that they didn't get the zipper mod. Or that they didn't buy an Aarn pack. Or that they didn't... you get the idea.

I like the bottom entry because it seems to make beginners feel a little more secure. I use my hennessy primarily as a guest hammock since I built my 4-yard DIY. I also never use the hennessy in colder weather when an underquilt might be needed so there's nothing to adjust. I'll probably get a MacIX underquilt for it this fall and take it out to Colorado just to make myself wrong again.

Boris

Insulation
    warm stuff
    I have the scout. I haven't sent mine out for the zipper mod yet, but after this last trip i will be making it a point to save up the cash and get a zipper. the bottom entry is fine for the kids, but even with my small size i had some issues getting in and out. Once in i did almost fall through once because i didn't get the velcro completely closed and i thought i had, and even with the bottom entry in buggy conditions i had a couple of flying friends join me, and promptly had to kick them out. This most recent trip wasn't as bad as the spring MAHHA, i was frozen the whole time and with the muscles all tensed up it was almost painful to get in or out of my hammock.
    personally i feel the zipper is the way to go. Cranky Bear had the zipper mod done by 2Q and ZQ and it is top quality, never an issue with it.
    good luck to you
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once. Jennifer Unlimited
    Health food may be good for the conscience, but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better. -- Robert Redford

http://daydreamingmisadventurer.blogspot.com/

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Most folks don't. I think that's why Ed doesn't talk about it much, unless you ask him. I probably shouldn't have brought it up!
    Too late, you already did!

I think Ed's Velcro pref is particularly strong when it comes to the PeaPod. Having at least felt like I was temporarily trapped in a mummy bag a time or two over the years when fabric jammed in zippers, I can sort of relate to what he says. But it was more of a severe claustrophobic feeling than actually being trapped, still, a horrible sensation if you are kind of in a hurry to get out.

One thing about the PeaPod, I will always be able to be out of there in about a millisecond. To the degree that I have often thought of adding a couple of snaps near each end to increase holding power, to increase convenience trying to keep the ends closed when getting in and out. Even with that, I can still be out in a flash with just Velcro alone in the middle.

Admittedly, a separate TQ/UQ combo(which I also use and really like) would be even faster, neither zipper nor Velcro or Omnitape. But then again, you are not nearly as bombproof draft wise as when sealed up in a mummy bag, a benefit the PeaPod mostly maintains.

Finally, compared with mummy bag zippers getting hung on nylon shells with my Marmot and TNF bags, I can actually be "Velcroed up" in my PeaPod, or maybe even my Speer hammock/bugnet, quite fast. After much dealing with learning curve. The trick being to pull the pod REALLY tight up to the chin and then above down to the face, before trying to close/touch the Velcro sides together. After I had a good bit of practice, I can now usually have that pod closed and sealed even quicker than I could a zippered mummy bag when ground dwelling. But it took a lot of practice to manage it with speed.

All of the above applies to the Omnitape bug net on my JRB Bridge. That net seemed quite a pain to me when first using. But, again with practice, it all seems to work pretty smooth and quick now.

Of course, a zipper like on my WBBB can be awfully fast and convenient also. But if it ever does fail, obviously some sort of field repair ( hopefully it can be done) will be needed for it to be at all usable. I suppose the odds of zipper failure are awfully low, unless you hike with Murphy the law maker.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I like zippers better. Lining up the velcro, keeping it from snagging my long johns, etc...zippers are much easier, IMO.

I haven't gotten the zipper mod b/c I got a Warbonnet Blackbird. It's much more comfortable than my Hennessy, has a shelf, and I get to support a great cottage business who is a valued member of this community, and it's made here in CO.

But if you go with the HH, get the zipper mod.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Adia View Post
    I have the scout. I haven't sent mine out for the zipper mod yet, but after this last trip i will be making it a point to save up the cash and get a zipper. the bottom entry is fine for the kids, but even with my small size i had some issues getting in and out. Once in i did almost fall through once because i didn't get the velcro completely closed and i thought i had, and even with the bottom entry in buggy conditions i had a couple of flying friends join me, and promptly had to kick them out. This most recent trip wasn't as bad as the spring MAHHA, i was frozen the whole time and with the muscles all tensed up it was almost painful to get in or out of my hammock.
    personally i feel the zipper is the way to go. Cranky Bear had the zipper mod done by 2Q and ZQ and it is top quality, never an issue with it.
    good luck to you
    Here is the odd thing: when I used my HH UL Explorer AND SS, I often thought a zipper would be nice for reaching outside the hammock. Especially in order to adjust the SS or quilts, to check for compressed loft, etc. Other times, it would have just been nice to get the net out of the way when not needed for bugs.

But getting in and out was just never a problem for me, at least after the usual learning curve. I simply put my head in while still standing, turned around and sat down, then laid down. Boom, done, and every thing is closed. When I got out, I just first put one foot out of the slit and past the pad/UC, then the other foot, and stood up.

It has been quite a while since I used the bottom entry, what with the net cut off mine and my other hammocks being, of course, side loaders. But when I did use it, I didn't see how anything could work any easier. Or any quicker for getting inside and closed to bugs.

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DIY Nylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    AHE webbing
    I think the biggest problem with zippers is that people don't realize they need maintenance.
    They must be clean & lubricated to function at their best!

Most of my outdoor equipment that has suffered zipper failure was due to my negligence when it comes to care!

Hammock
    HH EXPLORER DELUXE A-SYM ZIP
    Tarp
    HH double hex
    Insulation
    work in progress
    Suspension
    HH Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by wishing2gonorth View Post
    I am looking at buying a Hennessy Hammock Expidition Asym, but I'm not sure if I should get the classic or the new zip....any thoughts from those with hammock experience...this will be my first hammock!

Thanks
    I have the Explorer deluxe with zip, it is simply brilliant - the zipper is perfect - I would not want to go any lighter, in my opinion the zipper is the perfect match for the job.

My sons have the scout (Velcro) and expedition Zipper, the youngest with his scout (12) has no Issues and loves it - the older (15) wouldn't swap his zipper for the Velcro - so It is really horses for courses .......

There is a $20 extra charge for the large tarp on the Expidition and the snake skins are free. It will be the best 20 Dollars you have spent in a long time..... trust me!
    Last edited by Kudu; 06-28-2010 at 11:33.
    If I have seen further - it is by standing on the shoulders of giants

Salt water the final frontier

"Tread softly and breathe slowly"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12