Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

DIY quilt fabric questions

Greetings,

I am going to try making my own quilts based on the excellent instructions provided by Hammock Engineer. I plan to use 1.1 oz DWR nylon from Thru-hiker but I have a few questions first.

1) What is the difference between Momenum 90 and 1.1 oz DWR other than the weight? It doesn't seem to me that using the more expensive Momentum 90 would save you significant amounts of weight. Are there other reasons to use the fabric?

2) Are there any appreciable differences between 1'sts and 2'nds? The 2'nds come in Black and Dark Green which I think would work better for me. I wouldn't mind blending into the woods a bit better than the orange color would allow.

3) Are there any appreciable differences between 2'nds and Walmart $1 fabric. Of course, I have no idea what fabric I can get at Walmart. I wouldn't recognize 1.1 oz DWR if I found it and I certainly can't choose the colors. Seems to me that I'm safer paying the big bucks for the Thru-hiker fabric.

4) Finally, are there other fabric sources I should consider? I suspect the price will be about the same, but I wouldn't mind a better selection of colors.

Thanks. This should be quite the project. I've never touched a sewing machine but my friend Bmlarson has convinced me that he can teach me what I need to know. The only thing I've got in my favor is that I'm an engineer and, therefore, anal retentive by nature.

Thanks.

FreeTheWeasel

Images
    Here's a couple of sites I have in my bookmarks collection. I've not personally ordered from them.

http://www.owfinc.com/Fabrics/NylonW...stop:%20Coated

http://www.questoutfitters.com/coate...20oz%20RIPSTOP

Someone else will have to answer your other questions though.
    Trail Angel

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I finally ordered my Momentum90 today to make my quilt. I had originally thought that I would save a few bucks and go with the DWR nylon, but after seeing HE's quilts and getting a sample of Momentum90 in my hands I decided to spend the extra money.

The Momentum is very different than any other type of outdoor fabric I have seen. The fabric has a really tight weave and feels really tough. Unlike 1.1 oz nylon, you can't see your hand through M90. I have done some water tests and I have found that it is great when is come to water resistance. The back of the fabric is really shiny because of the calendering to the fabric, but the from side has a nice stain finish that is soft against the skin.

If you are just experimenting with making quilts, go with the DWR. If you are making a quilt that will be with you for a while, and if you can afford it, go with Monentum90.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    HH HLB & AR
    Tarp
    Hammockgear cuben
    Insulation
    MYOG down quilt
    Images
    I, too, sprung for the Momentum and am impressed by the weight (or lack thereof) and feel of it.

The only thing I don't like is the second-guessing I subjected myself to before cutting out my dimensions a couple of days ago... C'mon admit it you engineer types, the "OK, this is an expensive piece of fabric and I don't want to have to buy another one. Am I absolutely certain of my lines/measurements? Hmm, one more check with tape might be a good idea."

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Measure twice (or 3-5 times in may case), cut once.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Bmlarson and I split an order for down and I've got 24 oz comming. I plan to make two quilts to compliment the No Sniveller I already own to cover camping with my daughter and cold weather solo camping.

According to HE's instructions (and I plan to follow it exactly), I need 5 yards per quilt which translates to $60 worth of 1.1 oz or $120 worth of Momentum 90. In your opinion, is the Momentum really worth the extra $60?

The No Sniveller is 1.1 oz nylon, I believe and it seems pretty nice, but I've never touched the Momentum fabric. Is there any place I can get a sample do you think?

FreeTheWeasel

Images
    My experience with quality gear (not just home-made) is that it is usually worth the extra if its something you know is going to be around and get a lot of use.

Just as using down for the advantages of light weight and lifetime performance is worth it, so is using a fabric that complements those characteristics.

By all accounts I have seen Momentum90 is THE stuff... Check here for some info....

I'd probably buy some $1 wallyworld fabric to "practice" on and then use the Momentum for the "real thing". How's that for more than just measuring twice... I'd make it twice...

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post
    Bmlarson and I split an order for down and I've got 24 oz comming. I plan to make two quilts to compliment the No Sniveller I already own to cover camping with my daughter and cold weather solo camping.

According to HE's instructions (and I plan to follow it exactly), I need 5 yards per quilt which translates to $60 worth of 1.1 oz or $120 worth of Momentum 90. In your opinion, is the Momentum really worth the extra $60?

The No Sniveller is 1.1 oz nylon, I believe and it seems pretty nice, but I've never touched the Momentum fabric. Is there any place I can get a sample do you think?

FreeTheWeasel
    I might make your personal quilt from Momentum and your daughter's from DWR. JMHO. That's really up to you.

I can see if I can find the scrap HE gave me and send you a piece. I'll PM you if I can find it.

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    You guys are killing me.

I am a total sucker for the value argument. This is why everything I buy is more expensive than it needs to be, and, now that I know about it, I have about 5 to 10 days of spinning out of control ahead of me. I'll spend this time convincing myself that I can get by with the cheaper stuff and then, as the week wears on, I'll realize that I absolutely have to have the more expensive item or the world will stop spinning and I'll freeze to death camping.

Do doubt, this self enlightenment should short circuit this destructive behavior, but, nope. It is all part of the pathology.

Here we go. Let the psychosis begin!

FreeTheWeasel

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    FTW- At least you aren't a compulsive buyer! Then you'd end-up with two of everything.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast