Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps

Lightbulb Need help with Eagles Nest Outfitters hammocks

Hey all first let me state that I am super stoked to be apart of this forum .

So I 'm looking at picking up my first hammock. I am split between the eno hammocks. I like the pro version because its lighter but I dont know if it will be big enough. I'm 6'1 265lbs... ok maybe like 275lbs or so,give or take 10lbs and I'm thinking that once I set it up and crawl inside the pro that it may shorten up on me. Now from what I understand the differance between the pro and the single is very small except for the length differance and a few ounces. Any ideas??? I also just read that the double, because of its width will lay flatter once its hung. Is this true? I think the weight trade off would be worth flatter surface to sleep on. With out setting these up and laying in them I have no idea how they will perform or what will work best for me. So what do you guys think?

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DIY Nylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    AHE webbing
    I have an ENO Pro in the for sale section, but I would not recommend it for you.
    I'm 5'-6" 175# and find it a bit too confining to suit me.
    I also have a GrandTrunk ultralight to base a comparison on, and I find it more comfortable.
    Not saying the Pro is a bad hammock, just saying I prefer the larger GrandTrunk for my (strictly personal opinion) comfort.

I'm fairly new to hammock camping, but I'm figuring out quickly that "bigger is better".

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    Thanks for the feed back. I actually was wondering which one was better. I just heard of the grand trunk tonight and did'nt know anything about them.

Hammock
    Have a Bunch
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    I've used leaves
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    I am about 6' 2" and 160 pounds and I find the Single Nest also constricting. Not to mention, I have yet to get a good lay in the thing. Every time I start to put myself into a diagonal (so I don't banana) I find that my feet are going out on one side and my head starts to fall out on the other end when I'm barely even gotten the hammock to lay flat. The length is fine, though, and I still love my ENO. I just find that I have to string up the hammock just right to get it to lay decently. It also just seems more suited for fun hammock camping, nothing too hardcore, since it is made of nylon and you will definitely find yourself closer to the ground than you were the night before (especially if you couple it with the ENO slap straps which are also nylon). Plus the thing is pretty heavy comparatively. Now, the double nest might be your thing if you don't mind the weight or the fact that it is ALSO nylon. My good friend has a double and he says that is sleeps just beautifully because of the extra width. So, yes the double would lay better for you...plus you wouldn't have to dole out the extra cash of a Hennessy or Warbonnet if you are still testing the hammock camping world. I have never tried the GrandTrunk but that might also be a good bet. Maybe you should start out with the GT...and spend the money on the suspension and tarp. Then, if you find you enjoy it, move up to the higher tier hammocks that have those little things you'll find that start to count when you go at it a bit more hardcore.

Good luck and I hope I added a bit to helping you make a decision!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I have a ENO double Nest, a Mosquito Expedition and a WBBB and started out with a HH. The ENO is very comfortable (I'm only 5' 6" and about 180 lbs). The ENO double and single have the same length, the double being about two feet wider. The Grandtrunk looks just like the ENO, but not sure. The ENO is cheap and is a good introduction to Hammocking. The WBBB is the best!
    Last edited by bear bag hanger; 06-29-2010 at 04:50. Reason: Don't have a GrandTrunk like I thought.

I'm 6'2" and 240lbs I was 280 when I bought my ENO double and it has always worked great for me, to be fair it is also the only hammock I've ever used

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I'm a big buy and I like the width of my ENO DN. I find I get a decently flat lay when I get the height of the straps on the trees just right. The width is also great for when you are sitting in it sideways. You could always experiemt with a structural ridgeline to get a consistently flat lay. I also suggest ditching the stock biners and cord and forget about the slap straps. Look into getting some whoopie slings and tree hugger straps if you want a better suspension system then ENO's stock system. I'm not concerned about weight so I just put a climbing biner throught the end channels.

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps

Talking

Ok guys so I made by buy. A ENO Double and I am super stoked about it! I mean for $48.69 it was'nt to hard to figure it out. Thanks guys for all the feedback. I was positive I would of got the pro but thanks to you guys I think I made a better decision.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jons4real View Post
    Ok guys so I made by buy. A ENO Double and I am super stoked about it! I mean for $48.69 it was'nt to hard to figure it out. Thanks guys for all the feedback. I was positive I would of got the pro but thanks to you guys I think I made a better decision.
    I think you'll be more comfortable. Enjoy!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    I think you'll like the double. At 6'4" ~ 250# it's pretty comfie.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast