Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    This may help. Taslan would appear to be heavier than most backpacking hammocks would be made out of. But it seems Ed Speer recommends a similar fabric (Supplex) for medium weight hammocks.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

@ NCPatrick, Oh, there will be picts.. lots of picts. I'm a picture taking fool when it comes to these things.

@ RamblinRev, Thanks for the link! I watch a couple of your "we make gear videos" last night. Much appreciated.

Hammock is done along with 2 custom stuff sacks. 1 sack for the hammock and the other for the rain fly that will be made later this week. I've read some articles about not using 550 para-cord for a structural ridge line. I tend to agree with it's stretchiness and was thinking about using some nylon rope. Any additional thoughts on readily available cordage for a hammock structural ridge line?

Err, Well poly not nylon.

While I am down by Galveston, I'm going to check some marine stores for Amsteel or Zing it. That seems the best way to go.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    I just got 180' of zing-it and am a HUGE fan for anything that isn't holding my weight... i use Amsteel for holding myself up, and zing-it for holding everything else (ie - tarp) up.

I have some pics now of my tarp... hope to get those posted up soon! Can't wait to see your setup

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    3x4m & 6x8m silnyl
    Insulation
    An hotel suite
    Suspension
    Gripper Drippers
    Images

We "big & tall" hangers

Quote Originally Posted by jackyb88 View Post
    i used this for my first hammock... i think... A single layer of it holds me, and I'm 6'3" 360
    I ordered a Claytor jungle model with the largest 3x4m fly they sell, and it's on the way! My problem is I'm 63 and getting a little stiff & gimpy and the scale today said "296". Since I was FAT back when I weighed 210, well ... you get it. These fabrics are really neat. We have a seamstress nearby who might stitch me a "bridge" style for my next one. I sure appreciate EVERY observation from more long-in-the-tooth people who aren't skinny.

Quote Originally Posted by dmccoy26 View Post
    While I am down by Galveston, I'm going to check some marine stores for Amsteel or Zing it. That seems the best way to go.

No luck on the amsteel or zing it. I'm going to try one more store before ordering it online.

Hammock pictures will be up soon as I'm downloading them from my camera now.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    I searched around locally and found that nobody could beat redden, even after shipping (which was fast -- 2 or 3 days iirc).... granted I'm not in your town anymore, but I looked while I was there and found none (even for an arm + leg).

Hope u have better luck than I did down there

http://projects.id26.com/2010/07/05/diy-hammock/

Pictures from the project. Still need to sew the rain fly, but my Taslan hammock works! It's very exciting. I can't believe it works, nor can my wife. She wants one now

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast