CJH NX-150
    Tarp
    CJH RX-150
    Insulation
    Nemo Tuo Standard
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopie

I'm interested.

Has anyone ever removed any of the pockets from their Clark? Kansas has a very wide range of temperatures (-10F to 105F), and at times during these humid summer months removing some of the pockets beneath me sounds tempting. You may ask why I didn't opt for a Clark Tropical or something, the reason being that I mainly purchased the NX-150 for the pole configuration and ease of setup. Anyways, I'm just curious as to if anyone has ever tried this, and their opinion of doing it in retrospect. Blessings!
    My motto: Keep in the middle of the road.

Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images
    I haven't ever used my pockets..... let me know how it goes.

I removed 2 of the 6 pockets on my North American. As far as I could tell the only thing they are good for is holding stuff, whatever it may be, and had little to no effect when it came to temperature control regardless of marketing claims. I always had more pockets then stuff so the removal of 2 didn't affect me at all.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by tgreening View Post
    I removed 2 of the 6 pockets on my North American. As far as I could tell the only thing they are good for is holding stuff, whatever it may be, and had little to no effect when it came to temperature control regardless of marketing claims. I always had more pockets then stuff so the removal of 2 didn't affect me at all.
    I would imagine that it's kind of hard to tell if the pockets do anything regarding either adding warmth or keeping the hammock cooler if you don't have both types of hammocks to get into and try. But I've had the opportunity to be in both the NA and the Tropical (get of of one and into the other) and yes the pockets do make the NA warmer than the Tropical and the Tropical needs more insulation in the winter under it, than the NA. I have not been in a NA that's had the pockets removed but would think it would depend on which pockets you took off. My Tropical's pockets are placed differently than the NA, they are 2 at head end and 2 at foot end with a wide open space between. The NA's are all grouped together starting at your head and ending before your knees. I would think that to make the NA cooler, you would need to remove all 4 pockets that are under your backside and just keep the 2 that are closer to your head. (this is just an opinion, the only facts here is that I've been in both hammocks and the NA was warmer)

TinaLouise

Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    I would imagine that it's kind of hard to tell if the pockets do anything regarding either adding warmth or keeping the hammock cooler if you don't have both types of hammocks to get into and try.

TinaLouise

No I don't have both types of hammocks but as I recall the marketing the pockets were supposed to keep you warmer by adding clothing and whatnot inside them to act as insulation, not just by virtue of being present. With this in mind and in my experience the method is a complete fail, or close enough to not matter. Even if they did work, what would be the sense of insulating half the bottom of the hammock and leaving the other half undone?

For me they didn't work and I couldn't make them work, at least in any practical manner.

• + New Posts