Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    A final shot, taken about 5 minutes after "The Incident" ... seat is off so I can get to tools to put the luggage back on.

IMG_0687.jpg (click for larger size)

Ok, one more... but this one is in pretty bad taste....

BADTASTE.JPG

Call it the "I lived" shot.
    Last edited by Ziege; 07-06-2010 at 16:22.

Images
    Thanks for the write up. Glad to hear your ok. With you on wearing all the gear. I need to get better about wearing jeans and not riding pants sometimes.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    SuperFly w/doors
    Insulation
    WInc and Burrow
    Suspension
    webbing
    Thanks for the trip report. Sorry about your getoff, but I'm glad that you're okay. All that Power Ranger-lookin' riding gear does do an incredible job, doesn't it.

Best of luck getting the Strom sorted out, and heal up quickly. (I cracked ribs twice last year.)

Chris
    Last edited by Land; 07-09-2010 at 09:47.

Thanks.

Initial pass on sorting out the strom ain't so pretty. Getting it safe to ride: about $500 (according to the dealer) including some dirt-oriented upgrades. Making it pretty: they stopped counting at $9500. Plus side: with the insurance settlement (minus salvage buy-back) I'll have a new 'strom in a couple of weeks, and a beater 'strom for camping and dirt trails.

This whole incident has certainly taught me the value of an ugly beater bike for adventuring off pavement.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Good report, Ziege. Sorry to hear about your face plant. Heal well and be sure to post another report on your next trip.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Thanks for the report. I'm actually planning on taking some of my business sale money and grab a klr650. Add that to my
    options for expediton travels.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    Well lived and well ended.
    THanks for the report and for being well
    Tom

I'm actually planning on taking some of my business sale money and grab a klr650.
    Do it. I'm not sure there is a better bike (imported into the USA) for traveling on the true back roads of the world. I'm not saying you won't want something else at times, but for an economical bike with tremendous versatility, a great aftermarket, and a proven track record, you got to give 'em their due.

In 2006 (when I bought my last bike) I flipped a coin between it and a KLR. This year (when I bought the bike in this thread) I flipped a coin between the V-Strom and the KLR. Each time there were good reasons for the more street oriented bikes but the KLR is closer to my self image I guess. I'm pretty sure that when I go to buy my NEXT bike (which may be a while, considering my recent bike bifurcation), I'll just buy the **** KLR and be done with it.

I'm already making plans to turn the salvage 'strom into a more KLR-like bike though. I just need to figure out how to shave about 60 pounds and fit spoke wheels and I'll be riding my frankenstrom as though it was a KLR (with shorter suspension travel).

(I cracked ribs twice last year.)
    Yeah, the ribs are in that nice deceptive stage where they feel fine most of the time. Which means I can forget things aren't normal. Then, well, they have ways of reminding a person, don't they? I started doing a stretching routine yesterday 'cause I was foolishly thinking about taking a kendo class today... oh boy. I've always been impatient when it comes to healing, which ain't smart, but... what ya gonna do?

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TOB9595 View Post
    Well lived and well ended.
    THanks for the report and for being well
    Tom
    I struggled deciding what kind of Dual Sport to buy when I was looking. I had just happened to craigslist and found my 99 with 3000 miles for only 1000$.

I had to drive 3 hours to get it, but I love it. I have had it a few years now and it has 11000 miles on with absolutely no problems. I drive to work almost everyday. I take in the woods with my 4 wheeler buddies... you name it it does it. I have some pics of it in my gallery. I love it so much that if something ever happens to it I will just go buy another one. I been riding many years and it is one of the funnest bikes I have ever owned.

I've done the harley and sport bike thing and I like em, but I have so much more fun on my Klr.

I actually rolled it the first week I had it. I was going down a fire break and ran over a log and it threw me on my side so fast I didnt even know what happened til I stopped rolling.

There I was with my work backpack containg my work laptop and all my papers laying in the dirt with the KLR still running on its side... even though I had some bruises all I could think about was what my wife would say if she could see me. It would be like the kid with the BB Gun in the Christmas story "you'll put your eye out!" lol!!!!

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I still want a v-strom too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast