Thread: Weather Kilt

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    We are getting a ton of rain here in PA this weekend and I have a bunch of black silnylon left over from my Jeff pack cover. I think I am going to make a ULA-styled rain wrap!! I'll post some pictures if it works out.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    OK - We are getting hammered with rain here so I made it.

The Closure - One end of the elastic has a loop and the other is a cord lock

Spread Out

Packed Up - Goes into a pocket sewed into the inside of the kilt

It comes to just below the knee. I also put some velcro below the closure to help prevent a big gap from forming on the side where the ends meet along my leg. There is a slight gap, but this shouldn't be too bad and allows for me to have movement.

Hammock
    BMBH /WBBB 1.7DBL
    Tarp
    WB SF / OES MC DLX
    Insulation
    JRB down TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    WS + dutchstuff
    good discussion guys.

As someone who wore a kilt to sunday school as a lad, and on any number of occasions since,I had this idea a couple of years ago, it just kind of came naturally when wearing waterproof trousers and hating the clammy feeling and the 'drag' they create.

I thought I might make my fortune with it but glad others have taken it on.

Just a couple of thoughts though:

I watched the ULA video (same thing mentioned in ljcsov's post above) and wondered why the kilt hadn't simply been doubled at the front - i.e. a full overlap as with proper kilts? This might be a little noisy in modern materials, but gets rid of any gaps like that?

related to Grizz's point about the pleats - again in a 'feileadh beag' I think they serve the purpose of allowing freedom of movement. I'd have thought a kilt without some for of pleating at the rear would catch on your legs as you walked?

I haven't yet got round to digging out the sewing machine to do this; or figured out a way to get it in 'tartan'! ; but I will one day, and I figured I'd stay as close as possible to a design that's stood the test of time?

For me it's not all about weight saving, but about comfort and practicality. I could use it for walking, but also when kneeling in the canoe, when it's only really the top of your thighs that get exposed to the rain, and trousers are overkill.

Anyway, just a few thoughts from 'over here'!

cheers

D

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123