Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Lightbulb Weather Kilt

Over in http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1915 Dutch mentioned making a kilt that would also function as a weather shield for his hammock ends.

Well, this made me think of another thread that headchange4u has going on the neat sheet. Could these two items be combined? A neat sheet that can work as a weathershield for the entire hammock and everything else those things can be used for; while at the same time be able to be transformed into a kilt for the daytime.

I don't know much about either......yet. I know a real 'kilt' uses several yards of fabric, so why would it not work? I'd love to hear any thoughts about this; talk about multi-function!

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Over in http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1915 Dutch mentioned making a kilt that would also function as a weather shield for his hammock ends.

Well, this made me think of another thread that headchange4u has going on the neat sheet. Could these two items be combined? A neat sheet that can work as a weathershield for the entire hammock and everything else those things can be used for; while at the same time be able to be transformed into a kilt for the daytime.

I don't know much about either......yet. I know a real 'kilt' uses several yards of fabric, so why would it not work? I'd love to hear any thoughts about this; talk about multi-function!
    I can just see it now, you take your kilt off to hang as a tarp. Hopefully you have something on under the kilt

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    As I recall there is an irish drinking song about someone falling asleep wearing a kilt and a girl taking a peek and tying a blue ribbon around a certain something. This just brings that song to mind!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mahem View Post
    As I recall there is an irish drinking song about someone falling asleep wearing a kilt and a girl taking a peek and tying a blue ribbon around a certain something. This just brings that song to mind!
    I remember that song. It's about a Scottsman, though, instead of an Irishman.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I remember that song. It's about a Scottsman, though, instead of an Irishman.
    Irish, Scottish I enjoy drinking with both! LOL

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

neat sheet kilt

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post

My son and I both got kilts in Scotland last week. We've of Scottish lineage; I canna hear the pipes and drums an na march. I'll wear mine on formal Boy Scout occasions with my uniform shirt, so I won't be sleeping off a bit too much 29 year old Bunnahabhain in it, tempting the lasses to mischief or winning any prizes There's a little less than 2 yards of material (a so-called "great kilt" has material that goes up and over the shoulder, of course has lots more). The fabric covers the front twice, one layer over the other, attached at each side with short straps, and the back side has just about as much material, only pleated.

so...doing exactly this with a neat sheet...not seeing the pleats nor would they do much good. Doing a wrap-around skirt, one issue would be the dimensions of the fabric. Figure navel to knee (2' maybe) in one dimension, 3' to 4' in the other dimension. I can see it doubled up and used perhaps as an end-cap on a bridge hammock (as suggested by our skirted Dutch). But a 2'x4' piece of neat sheet would be handy in other ways also.

To use so much material so as to be a weather shield for the whole hammock? Now we're talking 4' wide by 8' long maybe, which is double in each dimension. That's a lot to be wearing. Seems more the dimensions of a cape or poncho. Not really so eye-catching as a kilt.

MacGrizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    You called it MacGrizz. I got out some of my cheap cotton testing fabric last night and cut to the neat sheet dimensions.

Totally not practical. However, it was a fun experiment and exciting to have a new idea. The fact that it wasn't a good idea is another thing.

Cannibal
    of the Clan MacFarlane
    or so I'm told

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mahem View Post
    Here you go!

http://www.fugly.com/audio/588/Under...mans_Kilt.html

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    My son and I both got kilts in Scotland last week. We've of Scottish lineage; I canna hear the pipes and drums an na march. I'll wear mine on formal Boy Scout occasions with my uniform shirt, so I won't be sleeping off a bit too much 29 year old Bunnahabhain in it, tempting the lasses to mischief or winning any prizes There's a little less than 2 yards of material (a so-called "great kilt" has material that goes up and over the shoulder, of course has lots more). The fabric covers the front twice, one layer over the other, attached at each side with short straps, and the back side has just about as much material, only pleated.

so...doing exactly this with a neat sheet...not seeing the pleats nor would they do much good. Doing a wrap-around skirt, one issue would be the dimensions of the fabric. Figure navel to knee (2' maybe) in one dimension, 3' to 4' in the other dimension. I can see it doubled up and used perhaps as an end-cap on a bridge hammock (as suggested by our skirted Dutch). But a 2'x4' piece of neat sheet would be handy in other ways also.

To use so much material so as to be a weather shield for the whole hammock? Now we're talking 4' wide by 8' long maybe, which is double in each dimension. That's a lot to be wearing. Seems more the dimensions of a cape or poncho. Not really so eye-catching as a kilt.

MacGrizz
    Your pleats are sewn in, right? So you are counting two yards as the length of the kilt? Because of the pleats, there is actually more like three yards if I recall. I was 17 the last time I made a kilt, so I cannot remember exactly, but I do know it was over two yards and I had a 28" waist.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    Your pleats are sewn in, right? So you are counting two yards as the length of the kilt? Because of the pleats, there is actually more like three yards if I recall. I was 17 the last time I made a kilt, so I cannot remember exactly, but I do know it was over two yards and I had a 28" waist.
    yes, sewn-in pleats. My 2 yds is an estimate, I'll happily give you 3. While I'm not wearing it at the moment, (and couldn't really do the test if I was) I imagine that it works out to be about 3 or 4 times the back-side width, each inch pleat being a three or four fold across.

In any case I don't see how to make alternative use of that pleated stuff.
    I think the useable width will still be about 1.5 times waist dimension (twice across the front, once across the back).

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast