DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware

BMBH and a Maccat Deluxe

anyone using a BMBH with a Maccat Deluxe?

i just got the hammock and i'm playing around with my setup...so far i really like the bmbh....just can't seem to get my Deluxe to wanna work with it
    Last edited by G.L.P.; 07-01-2010 at 20:49.
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    On the BMBH you want to put the tarp over the hammock. It attaches to the trees by the ridgeline and then you pull the side tie out and stake them to the ground.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    On the BMBH you want to put the tarp over the hammock. It attaches to the trees by the ridgeline and then you pull the side tie out and stake them to the ground.
    OOOOOoooooo....thats how it's done

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    That Dutch, he's a smart guy. A smart a..., never mind.

I can just get bridge hammocks under a MacCat Deluxe, including
    (I'm pretty sure) a BMBH. When you pitch the tarp leave very little
    room between it and the hammock, and center things so that the spreader bars in this configuration are covered on the sides by the tarp (that's why you ride high). When you get into the hammock it will drop and you'll be fine.

That's for hanging when you're concerned about side-blown rain. Pitching the tarp very wide (e.g. using your hiking poles) a little above the hammock gives
    you coverage for the hanging you do in mostly clement weather.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Thanks Grizz.......

i'm thinking of getting a pole mod done by ZQ....to help open up the tarp more...

but so far i really like the hammock...wish i would have tried one years ago
    do you know off hand how much each ring weighs?
    i'm working on the best way to do your mod to the bmbh...just trying to get an idea of weights

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    NM...i just did the math...looks like about .6oz each.....

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post
    Thanks Grizz.......

i'm thinking of getting a pole mod done by ZQ....to help open up the tarp more...

but so far i really like the hammock...wish i would have tried one years ago
    do you know off hand how much each ring weighs?
    i'm working on the best way to do your mod to the bmbh...just trying to get an idea of weights
    Working with ZQ on the same this, although using a HH big hex silnylon tarp.

I think I had the hammock too high (meaning up near the tarp) because when I sat in the hammock and it tipped as I got in the ends of the spreader bars kept rubbing up against the tarp. This should prove that I had the tarp OVER the hammock, not UNDER as I may have originally conceived ;-)

We had HUGE downpours so I had the tarp pitched as steep as I could and everytime I moved while laying in the BMBH the bar ends would still rub against the tarp. Nerve racking!!

This done with a center pole mod from ZQ even . . .

ZQ and I talked about a double pole mod with a tarp pole at either end to keep the tarp ends out away from the spreader bars.

Any other thoughts/suggestions welcome . . .

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Javaman View Post

I think I had the hammock too high (meaning up near the tarp) because when I sat in the hammock and it tipped as I got in the ends of the spreader bars kept rubbing up against the tarp. This should prove that I had the tarp OVER the hammock, not UNDER as I may have originally conceived ;-)

We had HUGE downpours so I had the tarp pitched as steep as I could and everytime I moved while laying in the BMBH the bar ends would still rub against the tarp. Nerve racking!!

ZQ and I talked about a double pole mod with a tarp pole at either end to keep the tarp ends out away from the spreader bars.

thats kind of what i was thinking...i hate to do it cause it adds weight....but i figure i can get carbon fiber poles and it won't be so bad....

but i was going to do mine alot like dutch has his...they are not all the way down to the corner of the tarp...but only half way down...so you don't need long poles

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Javaman View Post

Two points.

The center pole mod works against you in a bridge....It is great for gathered end hammocks, where more room in the center and less on the corners is good.... But it is exactly opposite of more room on the corners need for bridge spreader bars.

Rectangular tarps or the JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp, with multiple edge tie outs, work much better than hex patterns on bridge designs.

Pan

PS added...If you want to make the hex work try poles at the corner, though that will double your pole weight...

FWIW, addiing center poles to hexes probably makes them heavier than the rectangular tarps.
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Two points.

The center pole mod works against you in a bridge....It is great for gathered end hammocks, where more room in the center and less on the corners is good.... But it is exactly opposite of more room on the corners need for bridge spreader bars.

Rectangular tarps or the JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp, with multiple edge tie outs, work much better than hex patterns on bridge designs.

Pan

PS added...If you want to make the hex work try poles at the corner, though that will double your pole weight...

FWIW, addiing center poles to hexes probably makes them heavier than the rectangular tarps.
    hiya Pan, hope you're staying cool and comfortable down there in Tidewater <grin>.

Being mathematical and all quanty, I'd rephrase your point here. A pole mod in the center pushes the tarp out in the middle. Where you want more spread on for a bridge hammock is at the tarp ends. I would say a pole mod doesn't "work against you" so much as it "doesn't give you more width near the spreader bars". To "work against you" the center pole would close the tarp ends in more, and I'm not seeing that.

Your point on weight is on the mark though. But a smaller tarp with ends spread by lightweight poles will be less bulky than a full 10x11 tarp. In my calculus of pack loading, volume used is as much a factor as weight.

but then I'm young and spry still

cheers
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast