Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide

no TQ in summer?

Hi,

I am packing for a 2 night trip in the White Mountains in NH. The expected overnight lows at the elevation I will be at is ~ 50 deg F.

I don't have a summer sleeping bag nor any type of TQ so I was originally planning on bringing a mid weight fleece liner which is looking like a lot of pack volumne. My other choice is my 3 season sleeping bag which takes up less space than the liner but is heavier.

In the winter, I use my extra clothes as part of my sleep system and was thinking I could do that instead.

So I am considering using my extra clothes to sleep in rather than the mid weight fleece liner. I sleep warm.

I would bring:
    - midweight wool tops and bottoms
    - down vest
    - light weight wool hat
    - oversized wool socks that fit over my regular socks
    - windblocker gloves

The down vest is the only item I normally wouldn't bring anyways so it is really is trading a very light and very compressible but warm down vest instead of the bag or the liner in terms of weight and volumne.

I also think that I could put on my rain jacket or rain pants too in a pinch.

I will still have my BA insulated aircore and a z-rest pad for an UQ and and side extenders.

Does anyone have any experience during this? Not so much @ 50 deg F since we all have different ideas of what is cold, but rather the "idea" of using your clothes rather than a bag. I would be losing a bit of safety margin since my "extra" layers would no longer be extra.

Sadly, no way to test this tonight in the backyard since local temps won't go down to 50 deg F.

Thanks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Plenty of people use their clothing as insulation, especially during the warmer months. I've done it a couple of times just to save some pack weight and volume, but I don't really care for it. Even if it's just a bedsheet, I seem to need something on top of me. Kind of a security-blanket for an almost grown-up.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    food camps that way in the winter...I'm sure he'll pipe up if he's reading.

I usually don't wear much clothing in summer, so it's lighter for me to have a summer TQ. But I've had to supplement with clothing a few times, so I think your plan will work. If you get cold, just boil up a hot water bottle and stick it inside your vest.

If you put on your rain gear, put it between the baselayer and insulation rather than on top. Otherwise, your insulation may get moist even though your raingear is 'breathable.' At least mine did...I tested it over a couple nights and could definitely tell a difference in moisture when my GoLite jacket was the outer layer.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow / Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    Sadly, no way to test this tonight in the backyard since local temps won't go down to 50 deg F.
    Are you sure? Here in CT it's supposed to get into the low 50's tonight. Might be worth a shot to test it tonight.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    OES Ultra
    Insulation
    Under Ground Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

No TQ in summer

I recently hung out here in Michigan. Temp got down to about 47. I used a Military Poncho liner that I safety pinned a foot box into. I slept in a pair of running shorts and a tank top. I'm a pretty warm sleeper, but I did get a little chilly towards morning.

I'm planning a trip in August to Lake Superior, I will probably use my Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 down bag as TQ. This bag will pack down to about the size of a water bottle.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I'm a cold sleeper, so my choice would be to go with the 3-season sleeping bag. Would rather deal with a little added weight than be cold at night.

Unfortunately I haven't addressed your question about using clothing for warmth. No doubt wearing extra will help but it's hard to know how much.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If it were me going to The Whites (LUCKY YOU!!!!!) I would have a TQ...... but I have one.
    But .... with plenty of clothes I am sure you won't be too uncomfortable.

Remember though ..... 60º to 50º in the woods for extended time is cold ... add wind and rain and it feels colder even.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    30D Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Biner/Des Rings
    Images
    You know they just had a cold front come through and temps in some places are down to freezing.
    -----------------------
    Wherever you go=====
    =======There you are
    ----------------------

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    the temp in my back yard last ngith at 4 in the morning was around 50 degrees give or take a few....and i live in NEPA
    and it felt cold when i got up to goto the bathroom....

i would take something....the Whites this time of year can be cold and weather can sneek up on ya in the whites......

i would say if you have a few extra bucks look for a 40 degree sleeping bag at campmor...they have them for around $50....sometimes they have down bag for under $100....

but i won't go without...you never know what the weather will be like above 3000 feet
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images
    I would bring the quilt. Given the unpredictability of weather especially in a place like the Whites, I would rather have a few more ounces in my pack and the protection, especially for a relatively short trip.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast