Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images

Colorado Flatwater Paddling Hang

Would anyone out there be interested in a flatwater paddling hangout in Colorado? I know there are a number of reservoirs that offer relaxed paddling and fishing, and some of them allow primitive camping, either on shorelines, or better yet, islands.

So far, the most promising location I've found is Granby Lake, less than two hours from Denver. I've found some information that states primitive camping is permitted on islands, but haven't been able to find any information regarding the islands' suitability to hammocks. Some more information on paddling on the lake is available here:

http://www.canoecolorado.com/trips/C...by%20Reservoir

I'd definitely welcome other suggestions - we will likely be renting a canoe for this trip, since we are boatless at the moment.

Any interest in trying this out?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Would anyone out there be interested in a flatwater paddling hangout in Colorado? I know there are a number of reservoirs that offer relaxed paddling and fishing, and some of them allow primitive camping, either on shorelines, or better yet, islands.

So far, the most promising location I've found is Granby Lake, less than two hours from Denver. I've found some information that states primitive camping is permitted on islands, but haven't been able to find any information regarding the islands' suitability to hammocks. Some more information on paddling on the lake is available here:

http://www.canoecolorado.com/trips/C...by%20Reservoir

I'd definitely welcome other suggestions - we will likely be renting a canoe for this trip, since we are boatless at the moment.

Any interest in trying this out?
    If pre-hammock memory serves, the islands on Granby or Grand Lakes are very suitable for hanging. Grand Lake is one of my most favorite of all the mountain towns and the scenery in that area is flat-out stunning. I'd be in for something like that for sure! Nice side trip would be driving over Trail Ridge Road, which is just inside RMNP around the corner. Great visitor center where you one can learn about the alpine tundra ecosystem. Plus, you get to say you drove on the highest paved road in N. America.

Really like that area a lot! Tell me when and Genuine Draft and I will do our very best to juggle the calendar. Only time that is out for sure is the last week of July, I'll be up on Hudson's Bay that week.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Interested? That's a dumb question. Of course!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Jealousy.....it's bad for my karma. But I'm feelin' it anyway. Maybe I need to go "visit my brother" in Boulder....

Hammock
    10.5' DIY
    Tarp
    11x13 DIY Sil
    Insulation
    IX UQ, Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Dutch/Whoopie
    Images
    I'm interested and might be able to go if it falls somewhere in early august.

But no guarantees because I have about a two week period (August 1st - August 16th) where I have to move up north to Fort Collins and get my school and job situations figured out - which obviously (and sadly) takes priority over camping trips.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Bumping this back up - I'm still interested, even though I don't have a boat yet. I'm shopping around, and would like to get out for some island camping before the weather gets too cold for it.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I can rent kayaks and canoes from the outdoor rec center on base. Still interested in the trip but we should lock in a date soon...have some get-togethers planned for two wknds in August already.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Well you're better at the planning stuff than I am, so maybe YOU should do the organizing

I've been looking for places to rent around here and not found much so far. I'm actually taking the new Jeep back to the dealer on Thursday to get a hitch added, and some crossbars for the roof rack, so we ought to be good to haul a boat if we can find one to either buy or rent.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think the ORC has canoes, single kayaks and double kayaks. The center is for military and their guests so it wouldn't be against the rules for me to rent something for you. You'd have to drive down here to get it, obviously...I couldn't fit it all on my Jeep!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Suspension
    WB Webbing
    I think REI rents boats as well or they used to anyway. Have been seeing lots of cheap kayaks and canoes on craigslist lately too. Good luck and when you nail down a weekend keep us posted as I might be able to get away for an eve as well.

• + New Posts