Snipe
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow/Greylock3
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Using only one TQ

I'm in the market for a good TQ that I can use all year. Does anything think it would be possible to use a winter quilt (such as the Old Rag Mountain or Black Mamba) in the summer? Or even a 3 season TQ and just supplement from that in the winter? The average temps for winter usually range from 20-30 here. I was thinking of the JRB Hudson River as well. Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by Snowbound; 07-02-2010 at 15:11.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Ugh, my winter quilts would be way too much during the shoulder seasons and no way my 3-season quilts could take me down to the temps I camp in during winter. If you aren't really hardcore about the deep winter camping, then you might get away with a 3-season quilt and some extra clothing. I have used my 3-season Black Mamba by itself down into the low thirties and was still comfortable.

I have used my JRB Shenandoah in conjunction with a 3-season quilt on occasion. It works great, but I wouldn't want to backpack with an extra quilt in the pack. I'd whine too much.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Snipe
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow/Greylock3
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks Cannibal. I've decided to bite the bullet and buy two separate sets for 3 season/winter.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    yeah 2 sets is the way to go...+ you don't wanna have to drag around a big winter quilt on a hot day...not cool
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    even here in the South, I've got two sets of quilts!! My winter set and my fall/spring set. Don't need a summer set!!! The temps are just to warm in the fall/spring to use my winter set. And fall/spring is to cool to go without something.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.1
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie

Just one TQ for me

I really only use 1 TQ - an HR long - I am 6' and a cool sleeper. It is the UQ that makes the biggest difference for me. For UQs, In the heat I will use a neatsheet, in the shoulder seasons I will use a 3 season 2/3, and in cold I will use the 3 season (lower body) and a MWUQ and the neatsheet. Cold for me 0 F, give or take and I will supplement the TQ with a fleece and extra Layers of clothing.

The HR long is probably my favourite piece of gear just because it always goes out with me, regardless of temp, canoeing, backpacking, tenting with the kids, works for all.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I wanted and hoped to do the same thing you thought of a year ago when I first started hammocking. I ordered a winter quilt in the winter thinking I could use it in the summer. On my first spring trip this year as soon as the weather broke above 40 I felt like I was sleeping in a metal box in the sun I was sweating so much So I bit the bullet as well and ordered a summer set. Two quilts is def the way to go but it looks like you've already made that decision.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts