HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in so cal View Post
    Beep, Lizzie, Odds,

Thanks for the info about the Youtube videos. Great to see how it is done.

Will be going with AHE straps and cinch buckles. Just need to find out if I need the chain link with them or not. Not sure which is better, putting the hammock carabiner onto the cinch strap or a chain link?
    Chain link by far ...

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Yeah, chain link for sure.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have a Eno Double Nest for hanging out in the yard or to take when we visit family and hang out in their back yards but I did not like the lack of a way to hang the hammock. Since I own I Blackbird, why not change the suspension to something I know works and am comfortable using.

I purchased a set of Dutch Clips from Jacks Are Better and a set of UL Clinch Buckles and 1” Woodland Cammo straps (2 15 ft with a loop at one end) and a Bishop sack from Arrowhead Equipment.

I removed the metal snap links that came with the hammock and attached the UL Clinch buckles to the Eno with Amstell line ( I forget the size but I think it’s the 7/64” rated to 1,600 lbs

Total weight of everything is 1 lb 11.5 ounces

The stated weight for the hammock is 1lb 6oz , subtract the snap links that come with it that I am not using now and the weight is 1 lb 1.5 oz so I added 10 oz of weight with my additions.

So while I gained about 6 oz of weight I believe I now have Eno I can hang anywhere safely and quickly.

I found that out that my wife has been setting up the hammock and using it when I am at work. Could it be she is becoming “gasp” a hammock addict
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Gunner, I like how you did that. I just ordered the cinch buckles from AHE and was going to clip the carabiner to the cinch buckle. I am going to set up like you did.

Thanks for the picture on how to do it.
    Last edited by Brian in so cal; 07-18-2010 at 13:46.

Hammock
    GT ultralight/ENO DN
    Tarp
    el cheapo
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    thanks the youtube videos that were posted gave me some ideas for mine.

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    Today I hammocked with wife i ENO Single, total combined weight 295 lbs. The trees we used were at least 17 feet apart. Much further than I thought I could span, with Slap Straps on last "hole" on each side. Frankly, had to climb up in it, to some degree. Then, after an hour of sitting in it, we were 1 foot off the ground. I got up and moved one side up to the next loop hole--it stretched one foot in an hour! And it wasn't even raining out. Is this the famous Slap Strap stretch. It's not only annoying, but the fact is that a person has to retighten it to the point that the hammock is horizontal to the ground, effectively needing to climb about 6 feet up into it with difficulty, just to get it so it'll sag and still be off the ground. Is that what others have discovered?

Other than swapping them out to whoopies or something, are there any assistive ideas for the strap themselves? Seriously. A mod, or clipping a carabiner between two hook loops on it or something? That climbing in like a gymnast mounting a balance beam would get old at midnight.
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 07-18-2010 at 15:17.

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post
    Today I hammocked with wife i ENO Single, total combined weight 295 lbs. The trees we used were at least 17 feet apart. Much further than I thought I could span, with Slap Straps on last "hole" on each side. Frankly, had to climb up in it, to some degree. Then, after an hour of sitting in it, we were 1 foot off the ground. I got up and moved one side up to the next loop hole--it stretched one foot in an hour! And it wasn't even raining out. Is this the famous Slap Strap stretch. It's not only annoying, but the fact is that a person has to retighten it to the point that the hammock is horizontal to the ground, effectively needing to climb about 6 feet up into it with difficulty, just to get it so it'll sag and still be off the ground. Is that what others have discovered?

Other than swapping them out to whoopies or something, are there any assistive ideas for the strap themselves? Seriously. A mod, or clipping a carabiner between two hook loops on it or something? That climbing in like a gymnast mounting a balance beam would get old at midnight.
    Well they're supposed to have something of a break-in period. That is, some have reported that they stopped stretching after several uses. That was my experience, and I used the straps often.

(I did recently go the DIY whoopie sling route though, and am happy with the adjustability, and they weight half as much as the Slap Straps.)

Hammock
    hennessy,diy
    Tarp
    hex,diy
    Insulation
    uq,pad
    Suspension
    diy whoppie, tree
    slap straps" let me down" (quite literally), please, if you value your pride,(and rear) dont use em.( but hey, whata i know bounced my head on the ground, what were we talking about again?)
    To me a lush carpet of pine needles or spongy grass is more welcome than the most luxurious Persian rug.
    Helen Keller

I'm in a doublenest with slaps as I write this. I'm 280 and the trees are 18+ feet apart. I fell for the SlapTrap too. They're junk insofar as their are many, many better options. Like new Metallica records, they would suffice if they were the only thing around. Luckily, someone invented Slayer and Meshuggah and Baroness.

One good aspect of their stretching is their spring. I'm in a public park just bouncing up-and-down and side-to-side. It's quite nice (after clearing a high jump to get into the thing).

But would I take these camping. In the words of Kofi Annan, "Hell No."

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    nada
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    Have you tried them in the rain? Once they get wet, the stretching accelerates to ridiculous levels.
    I found this out yesterday on my backyard test hang. Trying to test the rainfly and set up to ride out a rainshower. Ended up with my butt touching the ground and coming inside to order me some whoopies.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast