Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    What's insulation?
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Check out Paul's thin and lightweight ... but strong straps at Arrowhead Equipment ... It's the only straps I use now.
    Just replaced my ENO straps with whoopie slings and webbing. As a new hammock user, I found that the straps worked just fine. Yes, they did stretch a bit, and no, I never used them in any more than a drizzle. I have switched to whoopie slings I got from Arrowhead (great turn-around, by the way) to reduce weight.
    Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Images
    Here comes the questions from the noob!! I want to replace my Slap straps and have went to the Arrowhead Equipment site. I don't quite understand exactly what I need. They have Whoopie sling, Webbing lines, ETC,

I want to get what I would need to replace the Slap straps for my eno double nest. I will be practicing with them before we go backpacking in August. Please suggest to me what I should be buying.

Maybe there is a link already on the forum explaining. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Brian

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in so cal View Post
    Here comes the questions from the noob!! I want to replace my Slap straps and have went to the Arrowhead Equipment site. I don't quite understand exactly what I need. They have Whoopie sling, Webbing lines, ETC,

I want to get what I would need to replace the Slap straps for my eno double nest. I will be practicing with them before we go backpacking in August. Please suggest to me what I should be buying.

Maybe there is a link already on the forum explaining. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Brian
    Brian,

You should ask Paul Gibson at Arrowhead Equipment. He's very responsive to PMs from this forum and will be happy to make recommendations for you.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Brian ~Have you seen the three part series by forum member Grizzly Adams (AKA Grizz, AKA Professor Hammock?) It's great and in addition to answering some questions about how whoopies, there are other neat ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f2Xts3Spsc

Liz
    PS - I am in So Cal too. Whittier.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images

Thanks in advance,
    Brian
    As beep said contact Paul and he'll take care of you. In the meantime all you need to start out are Tree hugger webbings and whoopie slings. These are the 2 basic components. The tree huggers come with a loop so all you have to do it put the loop around the tree and put it through the loop. The whoopie sling can be girth hitched around the gathered end of your hammock or put through the channel. To connect the whoopie slings to the webbing, use a marlin spike hitch. That is a very basic set up.

Actually, an even more basic set up uses webbing and cinch buckles. Paul sell cinch buckle with a chain link. This would be secured to your hammock. The webbing goes around the tree and connect to the hammock through the cinch buckles. Very easy and straightforward set up and very easy to adjust.

Check out Shug's and Grizz's videos for a lot more info.

Images
    Everybody, Thanks for the great info and leads. I always thought what is the big deal if something ways 14ozs or 4ozs. But when you start figuring all the items that you need to pack those ounces and up.

Will keep you posted on what I get.

Again thanks,
    Brian

Lizzie, I go down to Whittier quite often. My dad is at Rose Hills.
    Last edited by Brian in so cal; 07-08-2010 at 16:40.

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Smile

Everybody, Thanks for the great info and leads. I always thought what is the big deal if something ways 14ozs or 4ozs. But when you start figuring all the items that you need to pack those ounces and up.

Will keep you posted on what I get.

Again thanks,
    Brian

Lizzie, I go down to Whittier quite often. My dad is at Rose Hills.
    At the end of Sept it will be a year that my dad passed. Like so many of us, I owe my love of the outdoors to my dad.

But I do wonder what he'd make of all this slap strap/whoopie slings talk. He'd probably just shake his head in amazement

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    At the end of Sept it will be a year that my dad passed. Like so many of us, I owe my love of the outdoors to my dad.

But I do wonder what he'd make of all this slap strap/whoopie slings talk. He'd probably just shake his head in amazement

Sorry to hear about your dad. Lost mine in 2001. Didn't do much camping, he worked for the goverment and was always traveling. But when he was home we had some great hikes together. The best one being from Idyllwild to the Palm Springs tram. Then took the tram down and my mom picked us up. I will never forget that one. That was over 35 years ago.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Hey Brian, sorry I missed this thread the other day, been swamped If you still need help with your suspension shoot me a PM and I will get you me number and we can talk about what might work for you.

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Images
    Beep, Lizzie, Odds,

Thanks for the info about the Youtube videos. Great to see how it is done.

Will be going with AHE straps and cinch buckles. Just need to find out if I need the chain link with them or not. Not sure which is better, putting the hammock carabiner onto the cinch strap or a chain link?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast