Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    eno, hennessy hammock
    Insulation
    therm-a-rest pad

hennessy overcover

im thinking of buying just the overcover not the whole ss. has anyone used just the oc, how much warmth does it add, condensation??

I've only used mine on a few cold clear nights, I had zero condensation issues. I'm guessing it'll add five to eight degrees to your setup.

Hammock
    eno, hennessy hammock
    Insulation
    therm-a-rest pad
    im might buy it fot fall n winter. i dont have a uq yet but a uq and the oc seem better then the ss.

plus it looks like it woul give me better rain protection with my stock tarp

Quote Originally Posted by stonefree View Post
    im might buy it fot fall n winter. i dont have a uq yet but a uq and the oc seem better then the ss.

plus it looks like it woul give me better rain protection with my stock tarp
    It won't help you with the rain, it is porous/highly breathable. First, you need a bigger tarp. I have a Macat DLX. THEN, you need a JRB Nest UQ. You can buy a bunch of crap that won't work well or you can heed sage advice. If the budget won't allow that, look for a used supershelter used here at HF, everybody says they'll get you to 40, maybe lower. With the supershelter you can get by with the stock tarp.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    I've got the overcover and always used it with the undercover, but without the foam pad. I used it this way in the fall and spring and was comfortable down to the 60's. Like TAK said, the OC isn't treated and will soak up water. Snow that gets on top will melt and drip inside when the sun comes up (I wasn't expecting snow in that night and didn't use the tarp). I would still recommend the OC, but I wish I had just got the JRB Nest.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    It won't help you with the rain, it is porous/highly breathable. First, you need a bigger tarp. I have a Macat DLX. THEN, you need a JRB Nest UQ. You can buy a bunch of crap that won't work well or you can heed sage advice. If the budget won't allow that, look for a used supershelter used here at HF, everybody says they'll get you to 40, maybe lower. With the supershelter you can get by with the stock tarp.
    Yeah, I was about to say: "know what will help with the rain(and fog and snow and wind)? The SS Undercover. The other approaches (UQs,PeaPods, larger tarps or GrizBeaks) definitely have their own advantages. But as part of the built in bottom warmth system, the SSUC does have the addition of the above anti-rain benefits. I think that is maybe the SS's number one benefit.

I have personally( one time only), while using a rather large tarp pitched in a fairly wide A frame, had splash up get my UQ pretty wet on one end. Probably a much tighter pitch would have prevented this. But I was caught by surprise with the storm intensity at 2 A.M.. It came in head end mainly right shoulder. But it looked to me like it all splashed up from the ground, getting about the upper third of the quilt ground side only. The DWR seemed to work as I don't think the down got very wet, and a warm sunny next day dried things up pretty good. But, I was glad I did not have to pack up during a rainy/foggy one week hike. I could only think :that would not happen with the old SS, even if I had been using the small stock tarp.

Of course the same thing can be accomplished with a separate DWR sock of some sort, a weather shield or even a big enough tarp pitched correctly for conditions, and/or a GrizBeak. You will, however, have to know the storm is coming with tarp pitched accordingly. So there are other ways to take care of this, I just always thought it was nice that splash up protection and a good bit of wind block was built into the SS.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    I've got the overcover and always used it with the undercover, but without the foam pad. I used it this way in the fall and spring and was comfortable down to the 60's. Like TAK said, the OC isn't treated and will soak up water. Snow that gets on top will melt and drip inside when the sun comes up (I wasn't expecting snow in that night and didn't use the tarp). I would still recommend the OC, but I wish I had just got the JRB Nest.
    Trooper, that is an interesting report. It appears you are reporting on a snowy night with NO TARP, but only the SS UC and OC? ( If you were even using the UC and not JUST the OC?)

Did you even use the SS pad that night?

And how did you do that night?

Hammock
    eno, hennessy hammock
    Insulation
    therm-a-rest pad
    im saving up 4 the nest but im going to be doing alot of backpacking this winter, well i do it all year nonstop. but this will be my first winter without a tent.
    could the nest fit inside to uc, just curious
    whats a good winter tarp thats not to expensive

Quote Originally Posted by stonefree View Post
    im saving up 4 the nest but im going to be doing alot of backpacking this winter, well i do it all year nonstop. but this will be my first winter without a tent.
    could the nest fit inside to uc, just curious
    whats a good winter tarp thats not to expensive
    Do not put the Nest inside the Hennessy undercover. The UC is non-breathable silnylon, the UQ will get soaked from perspiration.

Like Billybob said, there are multiple approaches to keeping a down UQ dry. A larger than stock tarp is first. Then there is 2 questions Griz beak that can be installed to keep wind/rain from blowing in through the end of your setup. I've been through a few blows with a Macat DLX without the beak. I think that would be a pretty bombproof setup if you added the beak. Then there is the DIY hammock sock, made from breathable DWR(durable, water-repellant) nylon. Basically make like a bugnet tube you slip over your hole setup. You'd need 2Q's zipper mod to do this with a Hennessy. You could argue if it is cold enough for a hammock sock, just use a netless hammock. Many make their own.

Then there are the oversize tarps like the Warbonnet Big Mamajamba, JRB 10x11, and the out of production Speer Winter Tarp. Most say, the sock isn't needed with these. A Hennessy overcover might still be worth it's weight in the cold though.

Hammock
    eno, hennessy hammock
    Insulation
    therm-a-rest pad
    i looked at the jrb hammock hut, does the stock hh tarp get the uq soaked or will it be ok if i pitch it low

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast