Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So What is the Next Step?

Lucked up on this forum when I saw a link at another forum for another forum...you get the idea.

Anyway, by way of introduction I spend more time in my truck than on the ground and want a complete set up that I can grab and go hiking or camping, especially when I can't get out of a hurricane, tornado, earthquake, or flooded area. This pack will have a stove which is covered by my Jetboil, shelter and a water purification element to it. Going in style is not an option due to limited space and weight.

I had been thinking about trying out a hammock and then I found this forum where everyone is making their own with the "ripstop" material from Wallytown so I picked up about 8 yards yesterday. We surged the edges of the whole thing until I decide what to do with it to refine it further and then started tying it up.

After spending a bit of time on the 'net learning about knots and how to secure one to a tree w/o leaving a trace I dug out some old supplies in the shed and put it up. I doubled up the material and kept it low to the ground. I only got to lay in it for a few minutes before my wife saw it and ran me out. She spent the rest of the evening rocking back and forth while I cooked us up some marshmallows and Bratwurst on the open fire.

I greatly appreciate all the posts and videos here that showed me how to do this. It was a blast. Now that I am sure I want to add a hammock to my pack I need to refine the design and that leads to several questions.

I am 6 feet 1 inch, and 270 with shorts on. Assuming a winter load you can figure I will weigh 300 pounds so I will stay with the doubled up material for the foreseeable future.

What size/type of rope would you recommend?

What length would you recommend? Overall length is over 15 feet now. Would 12 feet from end to end be sufficient for me or still too long?

The material is 60 inches wide and envelopes me with my broad shoulders. It is still very comfortable but I would like to be able to see better. Could I cut a block two layers thick 50 inches wide and 120 inches long?

How should I sew that up? Have two rectangles of material sewn on three sides with one end left open for a sleeping pad?

That is all I can think of now. Thanks for everyone's help.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The picture is nice. I don't know if you took it in your usual sleeping position but I would suggest you lie on the diagonal. In other words put your feet to one side of the centerline and your head to the other. I think you will find the comfort factor increased considerable.

As far as lengths of anything... that personal preference from the total length of the hammock to the length of the ridgeline (structural or not) to the length of the suspension material what ever style it might be. That's the nice thing about DIY is you have total control over the configuration of your hammock.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    and don't forget the webbing for your suspension instead of the rope! arrowhead, or whoopieslings dot com, or local harbor freight. you want to look for polyester webbing.

welcome aboard! and keep reading
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    The next step is to admit you are powerless over your addiction.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Funny, and oh so true...

You may want to try adding side pullouts. That helps with being able to see a bit better. I'd recommend adding one near your shoulder area, and one on the opposite side towards the ankle. Laying diagonally in the hammock helps it to feel flatter.

Sounds to me like you need to make another hammock so you both have one!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    The picture is nice. I don't know if you took it in your usual sleeping position but I would suggest you lie on the diagonal. In other words put your feet to one side of the centerline and your head to the other. I think you will find the comfort factor increased considerable.

As far as lengths of anything... that personal preference from the total length of the hammock to the length of the ridgeline (structural or not) to the length of the suspension material what ever style it might be. That's the nice thing about DIY is you have total control over the configuration of your hammock.
    I just got through taking a +2 hour nap in the thing. I laid every manner of way I could think of and all positions were comfortable. I did like the diagonal position a great deal. I also found a piece of string running to the next grounded object helped with the swinging!

I will have to play with the lengths a little at a time and possibly sacrifice some material. Thankfully it's cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
    and don't forget the webbing for your suspension instead of the rope! arrowhead, or whoopieslings dot com, or local harbor freight. you want to look for polyester webbing.

welcome aboard! and keep reading
    Earlier this morning I was reading up on the webbing and Dutch clips. This is the way I want to go since it is nice and simple and still keeping my overall costs down. I understand how we are looping around the tree but have not found something showing how this system ties into the bed area or how the lengths are adjustable.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/DutchClips.htm

I may try side pullouts later but love the swinging right now. We have already discussed making her one so that only adds to it. We have also discussed having one that would hold both of us.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Here's an easy way to attach cord to a hammock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJlEQpcbM1I

Whoopie slings have a fixed eye on one end and an adjustable loop on the other. The fixed end can be looped around the gathered hammock end with a girth hitch and the adjustable end looped around a toggle in a marlin spike hitch in the webbing. Check out the suspension forum and grizz's 3 part primer on hammock suspension. In them he shows what I am describing.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*TQ/ 0* UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    oldgringo you are wise.
    I would just like to say, I am bundy71, and I am a hammocker!
    And I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by bundy71 View Post
    oldgringo you are wise.
    I would just like to say, I am bundy71, and I am a hammocker!
    And I love it!
    Hi bundy71.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast