DD Frontline Hammock
    Tarp
    DD 3 x 3
    Insulation
    PT100
    Suspension
    Webbing

Feet Higher

I know that this has been discussed before but I am unable to find the information in the Search Area.

Should your feet be higher than your head when laying in the hammock..................

Thanks in advance
    “ Seize the day, do not put your trust in tomorrow”

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Most people prefer it this way, Depending on the hammock and how you like to lie in it if you have the foot end lower you generally end up sliding too far into the foot end of the hammock. If you have leg circulation problems though you would probably be better off with the foot end at least even.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    As RTZ said above, most like their feet higher. I prefer level or if anything, my head a little higher. You just have to find what works best for you.
    Enjoy figuring it out.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DIY Nylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    AHE webbing
    I have found I prefer my feet higher for a good night's rest, but that doesn't mean it's right for you.
    That's another fun part of hammocking, you never seem to run out of new things to try. You just have to experiment until you find what suits you best.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    For me level is good, feet slightly higher is good....head higher is bad.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    It is not so much that the feet are higher, it is that one has to hang the foot end higher by about 6 inches on a well centered gathered end hammock hung between trees spaced approx 13 feet...

This geometry will actually produce a lounge chair position (since one is never actually flat in a gathered end hammock)that is weight and sliding force neurtral and thus eliminate the common tendancy to slide to the footend of the hammock.

To a very significant extent it has to do with the coefficient of friction in a nylon bottomed hammock...To the heand end you are a short stubby triangle, head to shoulders... to the foot end you are a long darting triangle, feet to hips...Spend a half hour in two loungers at full recline.... One cloth and one leather... In a half, hour note the constancy or lack of constancy in your body position.... In the leather lounger, you will slide to the feet.

The second factor is that since your upper body is not flat but upright to 15 degrees or so, the force vector of the major portion of mass is directed down and actually passed the mid point of your height... So this point is neutralized by a slight raising of the foot end...

YMMV... given the differences in ones actual body size, shape and weight.

Pan

PS. FWIW. This is why some slide passed the end of their pad or UQ and end up with cold feet.
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    It is not so much that the feet are higher, it is that one has to hang the foot end higher by about 6 inches on a well centered gathered end hammock hung between trees spaced approx 13 feet...

This geometry will actually produce a lounge chair position (since one is never actually flat in a gathered end hammock)that is weight and sliding force neurtral and thus eliminate the common tendancy to slide to the footend of the hammock.

To a very significant extent it has to do with the coefficient of friction in a nylon bottomed hammock...To the heand end you are a short stubby triangle, head to shoulders... to the foot end you are a long darting triangle, feet to hips...Spend a half hour in two loungers at full recline.... One cloth and one leather... In a half, hour note the constancy or lack of constancy in your body position.... In the leather lounger, you will slide to the feet.

The second factor is that since your upper body is not flat but upright to 15 degrees or so, the force vector of the major portion of mass is directed down and actually passed the mid point of your height... So this point is neutralized by a slight raising of the foot end...

YMMV... given the differences in ones actual body size, shape and weight.

Pan

PS. FWIW. This is why some slide passed the end of their pad or UQ and end up with cold feet.

ALCON,

Please note, the situation in a bridge hammock is reversed... Same trees, same centered hammock,one should hang the head end 6 inches higher.

Bridges are like water beds... The body mass sinks lower in a water bed and one in actually level thru the centerline on the body... Same phenomina occurs in a bridge, but for material stretch vs water displacement...Thus, the true level is achieved thru the center line of the body.

Pan
    Last edited by Peter_pan; 07-05-2010 at 08:10. Reason: level, sliding, foot end issue
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    For me level is good, feet slightly higher is good....head higher is bad.
    +1 on this sentiment.

In addition, I find that if my head winds up any higher than my feet I wake up with bent knees or in fetal position and the majority of my body in the center of the hammock (kind of like sliding down a hill when you sleep on the ground, all bunched up into your bag).

When my head is higher (or I'm just level) things stay put and I sleep like a baby.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    There are no set hard and fast rules. You need to experiment to find what feels and sleeps best for you. Everybody is a little different and works for one might not for another.
    Terry

Hammock
    DD Frontline Hammock
    Tarp
    DD 3 x 3
    Insulation
    PT100
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Thanks for the information Guy's, I will experiment and let you know the outcome...cheers.
    “ Seize the day, do not put your trust in tomorrow”

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast