Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Suspension change for a noob

Hello all. This is my first post on this forum and I'm fairly new to hammocks.

I have an ENO with the slap straps so that is the only suspension I'm familiar with. After much reading on this forum I see that many people replace the stock suspension. I'm making the move and purchasing my first complete system, a Claytor Jungle Hammock. I've looked around for weeks and this one is the best fit for me.

I ran across the tread here about the webbing straps and replacing them. Is this something a noob could accomplish? I'm a little overwhelmed with the terminology and amount of available changes to make. A lot of people are also DIY using combination s it seems.

Is there a good place for step by step instructions to change it out? I don't have a sewing machine so I cant really make anything. I would like to order what I need at the same time as the hammock. What are some good systems for the Claytor Jungle?

I'm using this backpacking and kayaking in Florida.

Much appreciated

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Yes, it is easy, and no, you don't need to sew.

First, though, you need to decide whether you want a webbing/cinch buckle suspension or a cord based whoopie sling rig. Once you do that, talk to Paul @ AHE, and he'll fix you up.

I've made this change on my Claytor, and will be glad to walk you through it.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Thanks, after much Google-ing, I've found some kind of set up using a "chain length" and "cinch straps" with the option of using a biner or directly tying the chain link to the cinch buckle. I'm not yet clear beyond that as far as getting webbing and how it functions with the buckle but I'll call Arrow head and maybe they can hook me up with what I need. I read about it a lot on the net but have found very few pics to describe putting it all together.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Would be happy to help you get your suspension changed over to a buckle system, makes set up real easy. Take oldgringo's word for it, he has a few hammocks rigged with buckles Send me a PM if you want and we can chat in the next couple days about what would work--on the way out the door to take the wife on a date this evening but I should have some free time tomorrow.

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I'm not familiar with the "chain length" idea but it does not appeal to me much. Sounds very heavy and of limited adjustment. Arrowhead is the "go to" expert here for suspension information. Or search the suspension forum. I'd trust that information before I went any where else on the web. There are a lot of bad ideas floating around out there.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Yeah, that's a "chain link"...just a loop of line ~12" long that connects the cinch buckle to the hammock. Paul can ship it all assembled if you ask him to, and there's a video around here somewhere that shows how to make the hammock connection.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Yeah, that's a "chain link"...just a loop of line ~12" long that connects the cinch buckle to the hammock. Paul can ship it all assembled if you ask him to, and there's a video around here somewhere that shows how to make the hammock connection.
    ahhhh... that explains it. I stand corrected. Thanks. I use a similar attachment myself. Just didn't connect the name.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Here:

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/tutorials.htm

About halfway down the page, Paul shows how to connect the chain link to the channel end hammock, which is what a Claytor is. The cinch buckle currently available is somewhat different than the one pictured, but operates the same way.
    Dave

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    I dont know anything about cinch buckles or any of that but I can tell you I love my Whoopie slings and tree huggers. Some on here do not. I bought my tree huggers and made my slings myself. Check into your options. If making Whoopie slings interests you there is plenty of info on how to do it no sewing required. I have a great pdf from Sampson that does a good job of showing you how to. Just wanted to note there is nothing wrong with buying from any of the vendors on here if you dont want to DIY. Check out the suspension section of the forum and most if not all of your question will be answered.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by otter46544 View Post
    I dont know anything about cinch buckles or any of that but I can tell you I love my Whoopie slings and tree huggers. Some on here do not. I bought my tree huggers and made my slings myself. Check into your options. If making Whoopie slings interests you there is plenty of info on how to do it no sewing required. I have a great pdf from Sampson that does a good job of showing you how to. Just wanted to note there is nothing wrong with buying from any of the vendors on here if you dont want to DIY. Check out the suspension section of the forum and most if not all of your question will be answered.
    Thanks. I may try the Whoopie option on my ENO. I've wanted to change it anyway. I'll wait until I complete the other first I think. Then I'll have one of each to compare. Is there a link to that pdf you are talking about? I'll probably go the vendor route.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast