Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brian in So Cal

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggerhpy View Post
    Wecome SoCal. So when are you coming to Big Bear? Iol
    Wow! you must have a lot of great areas up there to hang your hammock. I go to Lucerne a lot for the rocket launches. I see that sign pointing up towards Big Bear. One of these days I am just gonna follow it.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Welcome Brian ~ I am in So Cal too. When I hike it's usually in the San Gabriel River section of the Angeles. You're out near Castaic, I see, and the Western Angeles forest... Feel free to let me know if you're in my area, I'll do the same.

Liz
    PS - Trigger Happy is in the perfect hiking area. (But I'm afraid of bears in the higher country
    Use to live in Monterey Park. Been to the San Gabriel river section many times in my younger days. Gotta get back there soon.

Thanks everybody for the welcome. I already got lots of great info. This site is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    BnSCal:
    I have ENO DN and I have already changed out the stock suspension with Cinch Buckles w/long loop and Polyester Straps from Arrowhead Equipment
    I'm guessing you took off the stock rings that come with the ENO DN in order to replace with the cinch buckles. How much do the straps weigh? I am trying to figure out whether to go with straps or rope to hang my ENO DN. Any thought?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in so cal View Post
    I go to Lucerne a lot for the rocket launches. I see that sign pointing up towards Big Bear. One of these days I am just gonna follow it.
    Forgot to say welcome to the forum! I use to live out in your neck of the woods (or desert, since there is no such thing as trees there) in Apple Valley and Phelan. Funny thing about Lucerne, I use to run Cross Country meets there and get chased by dogs and rednecks with guns. Good times.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    jasbentle:
    I am not sure what the weight is for the straps but I will say they are heavier than the Whoopie Slings. I just like them better to hang from than worrying with toggles/tree straps/whoopies. No offense to the Whoopie users/lovers out there. Plus, I have Dutch Clips on the way to make my set up time even faster!!!!!! I get it from AHE and see no weigh listed/ft on his site. I have roughly 30' of straps and have been to strapworks.com as well and cannot find a weight/ft listed there either. Contact Paul @ AHE and see if he can help you out.

Sorry for the long winded answer and the inability to answer the question.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    The only bears we have up here are in the hammocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Welcome Brian ~ I am in So Cal too. When I hike it's usually in the San Gabriel River section of the Angeles. You're out near Castaic, I see, and the Western Angeles forest... Feel free to let me know if you're in my area, I'll do the same.

Liz
    PS - Trigger Happy is in the perfect hiking area. (But I'm afraid of bears in the higher country
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggerhpy View Post
    The only bears we have up here are in the hammocks.
    ROFL. That other thread about the bear attack in has me spooked. The San Bernardino mts can be pretty rugged. I have seen big horn sheep up there. Plus the San Gorgonio Wilderness Assoc recommends bear canisters. I guess my imagination just runs wild.

But I suppose BB and Lake Arrowhead are far enough away from bears

I just got some 1" lightweight straps and my buddy is making me some whoopie slings so my set up is going to be considerably lighter. I had already taken off the carabiner rings that come with the Eno DN and have also taken off the stock ropes so the whoopie slings can be attached. It's coming right along! Now I just have to find a tarp that will be enough to cover both my hammock and my wifes. If ya all hear of any deals let me know!

Hey Brian, have you found a way to replace your slap straps yet? I thought about getting them but there were a lot of negative reviews about the sag. Bummer since they look pretty fast to set up.
    Last edited by jasbentle; 07-09-2010 at 16:21.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jasbentle View Post
    Forgot to say welcome to the forum! I use to live out in your neck of the woods (or desert, since there is no such thing as trees there) in Apple Valley and Phelan. Funny thing about Lucerne, I use to run Cross Country meets there and get chased by dogs and rednecks with guns. Good times.
    Luckily I don't live to close to that area. About 110 miles away. I think with all the explosives we have for our rocket motors it keeps everybody at bay!!

Quote Originally Posted by jasbentle View Post
    Hey Brian, have you found a way to replace your slap straps yet? I thought about getting them but there were a lot of negative reviews about the sag. Bummer since they look pretty fast to set up.
    I am going to get the AHE Straps with the cinch buckle. Not sure yet if I need the chain link or if I can just use the carabiners from the hammock and put directly to the cinch buckle. Also already ordered the dutch clips from JRB.
    Last edited by Brian in so cal; 07-14-2010 at 12:33.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end / WL Snipe
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 sil/ M.O.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ 20*Pheonix
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopie slings
    Welcome to HF, looks like your already gaining a wealth of information.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12