Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Does using a pillow (or air pillow for you ultralighters) help with shoulder squeeze?
    No. I can't see how it would help.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 Cat Cut
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    I'm 5'11" and 200lbs and fairly broad shouldered. I just spent a few hours in my BMBH this afternoon/evening and really don't know if I could get a good nights sleep in it on account of the squeeze. I also have some neck trouble and slight carpal tunnel and when I try to sleep like Dracula, my hands will get all numb and tingly feeling. I tried rolling to one side and although it was slightly better, it still won't be the dream sleep I was hoping for in this hammock.
    I did forget to throw the ridge rest into the hammock but I really don't think it could possible make that much of a difference.
    I'm about to order a speer and see how I like that.
    I think my new hobbie is more like hammock collecting than hammock camping.
    This brings a whole new meaning to the question
    "How's it hangin?"

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    I didnt get the time to read all of the posts, so does anyone know or can comment on how well a MacCat standard will fit over this hammock?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinfhaz View Post
    I didnt get the time to read all of the posts, so does anyone know or can comment on how well a MacCat standard will fit over this hammock?
    I would imagine not so good. I'd say the MacCat deluxe would be a little on the small size as well. I'm just assuming this cause of it's size. I read that you bought yourself a bridge on another post. Congrats Let us know how it works out for you. I just got through laying in mine. Blows away all other hammocks I have used.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

Thumbs up MY 2 Cents

I just got my BMB yesterday, and set it up today for the first time. I bought mine used from Millergear, who bought it from someone else on the site, so there were no directions. Here are my initial thoughts on the Jack's BMB, based on the 20 minutes I spent with it:

1. Extremely easy to set up. There were no directions as I bought it used, but having had experience with other hammocks, it took me about 5 minutes to have it hanging with the spreader bars.

2. Extremely comfortable. If I didn't have somewhere to go today, I would have been snoozing in it all day. Back and side sleeping were extremely comfortable.

3. Very well made. Some loose threads, but I've never bought a hammock that didn't have some loose threads.

4. It felt very light. I haven't weighed it, but I was just handling some of my other gear, and it felt light to me compared to some of the other hammocks I have. Maybe psych, but it definitely felt lighter.

5. I wish I would have some direction on the bug net, like when to attach it. I tried to attach most of it before getting in the hammock, and the end came loose when the hammock stretched out with my weight. What is the recommended way to attach?

6. There was a lot of stretch in something - I don't know if it was the nylon webbing or the hammock itself, but I hung the hammock at the normal height I hang all my hammocks and stretched the webbing tight, and my butt still hit the ground. I had to tighten beyond what I thought was prudent to allow for the stretch. I'm going to try new straps and see what that gets me.

7. There was shoulder squeeze - maybe the first time in a hammock that I've ever felt squeezed. Not terrible, but I did notice it. For bigger, wider guys I imagine it would be unbearable. If there was a way to widen by another 4 or 5 inches or even 2 or 3, the darn thing would be incredible. As it was, it was comfortable enough for me. A variable width bridge, hmmmmm. Grizz, does your DIY have removable end panels? I don't remember.

I hope to get more time in this hammock soon. Are there online directions somewhere, or has someone turned the directions into a PDF?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    7. There was shoulder squeeze - maybe the first time in a hammock that I've ever felt squeezed. Not terrible, but I did notice it. For bigger, wider guys I imagine it would be unbearable. If there was a way to widen by another 4 or 5 inches or even 2 or 3, the darn thing would be incredible. As it was, it was comfortable enough for me. A variable width bridge, hmmmmm. Grizz, does your DIY have removable end panels? I don't remember.
    The speader bars on the BMBH are 30" wide. I routinely use 36" wide with hammock width maximized at 52", and size my ends accordingly. One of my earlier versions had endcaps sized to go to 40" wide, but I rarely spread it that far and I ended up putting velco tabs on to take up slack.

Shoulder squeeze? What's that?

Sorry I can't help with the rest of the questions.

Grizz

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    I just got my BMB yesterday, and set it up today for the first time. I bought mine used from Millergear, who bought it from someone else on the site, so there were no directions. Here are my initial thoughts on the Jack's BMB, based on the 20 minutes I spent with it:

1. Extremely easy to set up. There were no directions as I bought it used, but having had experience with other hammocks, it took me about 5 minutes to have it hanging with the spreader bars.

2. Extremely comfortable. If I didn't have somewhere to go today, I would have been snoozing in it all day. Back and side sleeping were extremely comfortable.

3. Very well made. Some loose threads, but I've never bought a hammock that didn't have some loose threads.

4. It felt very light. I haven't weighed it, but I was just handling some of my other gear, and it felt light to me compared to some of the other hammocks I have. Maybe psych, but it definitely felt lighter.

5. I wish I would have some direction on the bug net, like when to attach it. I tried to attach most of it before getting in the hammock, and the end came loose when the hammock stretched out with my weight. What is the recommended way to attach?

6. There was a lot of stretch in something - I don't know if it was the nylon webbing or the hammock itself, but I hung the hammock at the normal height I hang all my hammocks and stretched the webbing tight, and my butt still hit the ground. I had to tighten beyond what I thought was prudent to allow for the stretch. I'm going to try new straps and see what that gets me.

I hope to get more time in this hammock soon. Are there online directions somewhere, or has someone turned the directions into a PDF?
    Pan told me on the phone what to expect and how to judge so called shoulder squeeze. In an ordinary hammock shoulder squeeze happens when hung too tightly or when the hammock is too short, but the bridge has a different dynamic. The feeling of the sides wrapping around almost half way makes it feel different, but if you are like me, I still can move my arms and put my arms behind my head and lay on my side and if there was true squeeze I don't think these things would be possible. What some feel as squeeze may be just the increase in body contact with the hang of the bridge.
    Also, the way the bridge stretches makes it hard to attach the bugnet perfectly. That's why it is longer than the hammock itself. I have added a Zipper on three sides so that I can leave the Omni attached the way it seems to want to be attached, and enter the hammock through the zipper. See my thread about the zipper. I hope you like your BMB as much as I do mine. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Nice report on the bridge FF.

FF

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    Pan told me on the phone what to expect and how to judge so called shoulder squeeze. In an ordinary hammock shoulder squeeze happens when hung too tightly or when the hammock is too short, but the bridge has a different dynamic. The feeling of the sides wrapping around almost half way makes it feel different, but if you are like me, I still can move my arms and put my arms behind my head and lay on my side and if there was true squeeze I don't think these things would be possible. What some feel as squeeze may be just the increase in body contact with the hang of the bridge.
    Also, the way the bridge stretches makes it hard to attach the bugnet perfectly. That's why it is longer than the hammock itself. I have added a Zipper on three sides so that I can leave the Omni attached the way it seems to want to be attached, and enter the hammock through the zipper. See my thread about the zipper. I hope you like your BMB as much as I do mine. Mule
    Those hammocks can provide a straight spline but the width has a curve to it. Calling them flat, like I have sometimes seen, is misleading.

Think of the cross section of a can laying on its side. That is more like what you have than something that is flat, like a book laying on its side. A cross section of the width is on a radius of a curve. You have a curve you are laying on and if you are wide enough you can get squeeze to go along with it because you are trying to extend the radius of the curve.

When you sleep in the coffin position, with your arms crossed, you roll your shoulders. When you do that you are creating a curve along your back and shoulders-- you aren't trying to lay flat. If you are comfy laying like that and your radius of curvature fits comfortably within the constraints of the design, you will be fine, as far as shoulder squeeze is concerned.

If you look at these sketches in this early patent, it will be easier to visualize http://www.google.com/patents?id=GnZ..._pages&cad=0_1
    Youngblood AT2000

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast