Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
    Ok - to me, it seemed like the third statement that I quoted in part contradicted the second - maybe a bit more info about what is considered 'representing the forum on other websites' would help?
    The difference is the same as the difference in the definitions of "inform" and "represent".

Informing someone about the forums is fine. Implying that you represent the forums is not. In other words, don't use your participation on HF to back-up what are your personal beliefs when posting on other sites.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    The reason for much of my hammocking success is due to the kindness and usefull information I have found on this forum. As always thank you mod's and to all the people who make this forum special.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Ok - to me, it seemed like the third statement that I quoted in part contradicted the second - maybe a bit more info about what is considered 'representing the forum on other websites' would help?
    I'm not a mod.. but I have been in situations where statements that sound like "official organizational policy" need to come only from those designated _by_ the organization to speak on their behalf.

Possibly an example.. "Hammockforums.net condemns the use of rope only suspensions." This would be putting words into the mouths of the forum suggesting official policy.

"I have come to the conclusion from research I have done on hammockforums.net that I will avoid the use of rope only suspensions." This is a personal opinion statement giving the source for the information but not putting words into the mouths of the owners and moderators of the forums.

At least that is my take on the statement that only the mods can speak for the forum officially.

edit: another example is as the pastor of a church I have the right to write a letter to the editor signed by my name and my name alone. As soon as I add the church's name to the signature I have crossed the line and can be seen as speaking on behalf of all members of the church. Unless the governing body of the church has expressly requested me to do so I can not ethically sign a letter that way.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 07-10-2010 at 16:18.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I believe Jeff's point there was about making an authoritative statement on behalf of HF.
    Take for example the now active thread about using webbing vs cord around trees to support the hammock.
    If someone would go to another website & confront someone for using cord & say "HF says DON'T USE CORD ON TREES", that would not be the best way to get the other person to consider the possible damage of using cord, whether the tree damage be physical damage or perceived as damage. We here at HF (staff or members) don't go about it that way.
    Not only would it probably not be taken as welcome advice on hammock supports, it would also leave a bad impression of HF for that person & others reading there. And they wouldn't be as likely to come check us out to learn about hammocks.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WB Traveller Dbl 1.7
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Rev, slowhike - that makes better sense to me, now.

Thanks for the explanation.
    Mike

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    I believe Jeff's point there was about making an authoritative statement on behalf of HF.
    Take for example the now active thread about using webbing vs cord around trees to support the hammock.
    If someone would go to another website & confront someone for using cord & say "HF says DON'T USE CORD ON TREES", that would not be the best way to get the other person to consider the possible damage of using cord, whether the tree damage be physical damage or perceived as damage. We here at HF (staff or members) don't go about it that way.
    Not only would it probably not be taken as welcome advice on hammock supports, it would also leave a bad impression of HF for that person & others reading there. And they wouldn't be as likely to come check us out to learn about hammocks.
    Exactly what I meant...thanks for clearing that up while I was out working on the honey-do list.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    Thank you all for your patience and respect over the past few years I've been around. This forum truly is special, and I'd hate to see it become something less than it's been.

Thank you especially to our moderators. You all do a wonderful job.
    ~Bryan

Hammock
    BIAS 11 footer
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    pitbull Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I really appreciate this great forum and I appreciate the moderators who put in the hours making it great.

HEY! I just noticed I'm not a Junior Member any more!!

(Imagine sounds of Muttly marching around house to the tune of Pomp and Circumstance)
    Ken T.

“Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world.”
    ― John Muir
    Watches synchronized, sharp mind and empty bladder. You get caught, demand an attorney and don't ever say my name. - Agent Simmons
    "With your eyes closed you can't tell the difference between Tyvek and Cuben." - Knotty

Hammock
    5 DIY's and a Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    BWDD 4 Season, DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator / DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!
    Images
    Thanks guys for all you do. This is truly a great community and site.
    If God had meant for us to sleep on the ground,
    He wouldn't have created trees....

“Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in where nature may heal and cheer and give strength to the body and soul.” - John Muir

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    In the works.
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Great Job. Cheers all 'round!
    "Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."
    - Mark Twain

"Pray to God, but row for shore." - Old Proverb

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast