MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

A note from the mods

HF members,

Hammock Forums has always taken pride in its helpfulness, friendliness, innovation, and overall positive attitude...but a few recent events have called these values into question. As stewards of this incredible community, the HF mods would like to address some of these issues directly. We don't pretend to speak for the entire hammocking community, but we do speak for this forum and we ask your help in ensuring that we maintain the community spirit we value so much.

First, we treat each other with respect. This is not negotiable. It's often easy to get frustrated over someone's post and type a quick reply to "set them straight." If the original post is out of line and the follow-up is calm and respectful, then it is appropriate for well-established members to help newbies learn our norms. However, some recent threads have started to show a lack of respect for each other. Disagreement is fine; disrespectful behavior is not. Please make it easier on the community and police your own posts. As one long-time member advised, "take no offense where none is intended." Since intent is hard to gauge on the internet, please start by giving the benefit of the doubt if the post is not clearly offensive.

Second, we treat other sites with respect. Politely referring folks to the best source of hammocking info on the net is absolutely encouraged. Using Hammock Forums to foster a spam campaign against another site is not. Doing it in the name of Hammock Forums is entirely inappropriate and misrepresents what this community stands for...which brings me to the last point.

No one speaks for Hammock Forums but the HF staff. The members here have created a valuable source of information and comaraderie. As such, many folks get passionate about the site and the community...and even protective of our hobby. We appreciate that. However, taking direct action on behalf of HF, without first discussing it with the HF staff, is neither required nor appreciated. This includes attempts to profit from HF's material as well as representing the forum on other sites.

The common thread in all of this is a breakdown in respect. For the forum, for each other, and for the outdoors communty in general. This is acceptable on most other internet sites - but the fact that it's not acceptable here is what makes our corner of the community so special. Please, when discussing Hammock Forums on other sites in the future, consider our own standards of behavior. If a post or comment would not be acceptable here, then please do not cite this forum when you make that post elsewhere.

As I said, we do not pretend to speak for the entire hammocking community and we're not attempting to regulate your behavior on other sites. But we are stewards of the Hammock Forums community and we're asking for your help in restoring and maintaining the good-natured atmosphere on this site and the good reputation we have on the internet. We plan to protect that.

Thank you,

The Hammock Forums Staff
    Just Jeff, slowhike, angrysparrow, headchange4u, Cannibal, NCPatrick
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Well said! The reason that I am still here is the great patience that many posters have had with me, the great attitudes and just plain ole' nice people. It was so refreshing to find this community!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    Thanks for the great site and kind reminder. We all need reminders from time to time. You guys do great work, thanks for keeping it up.
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    NICE post!! As kritter mentioned, all families tend to stray a little if left strictly to their own devices and need a little "direction" occasionally. I have noticed a little drift in some of the posts recently, and as stonehooligan referred to, this is a very special forum, unique on the web for the lack of flaming, disrespect, and and especially for the undying patience by the more experienced. I pursue lots of different forums on widely varying subjects. This one is by far the most pleasant. Thanks for your great efforts to keep it that way!
    Last edited by waddy; 07-10-2010 at 09:05. Reason: Spelling. I never seem to get proofed until I have laready posted!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I love it!
    Not only have I gleaned tons of great information here, I've learned a fun and enjoyable craft.

Better than that, I've made a few great friends along the way!

I think Grampa said it best, to qoute: "Don't pee in the pool".
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I always felt motivated when my football coaches grabbed me by the facemask and yanked my head and yelled at me whilst spewing chewing tobacco spit in my eye. !!!!!!
    I needed that. We all do.
    First and foremost ... to me ...... this has to be fun and informational.
    All of you Mods do a terrific job ..... fair and logical.
    Thankee.
    I bow here.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    Well put Jeff, as a member of this forum I have learned so much from the original members. Now I feel with the info I learned from the site from all of you, I can now partake give pieces of info to noobs. Thanks to you guys for keeping this site ruuning in smoothly and friendly manner.
    Chris

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    This site has always impressed me with the kindness and patience it possesses....

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Well said, JJ! And I couldn't agree more with the other posters on this thread. How many times have I seen a noob ask the same question that's been asked a thousand times, only to be treated like it was the most original question ever asked? Or someone basically say "that way of doing something is not for me... but it is pretty interesting none the less. Good thinking."?

And, I must say, the good nature of this forum community is maintained by a great group of moderators. I mean, when you think about it, this thread is chastising us (the community) but does it in such a constructive way that all the responses are glowingly positive.

This thread addresses something that is typical in growing organizations. Often it is not addressed at all (sports teams where it's mistakenly thought to be an acceptable level of pride). Other times it is addressed too severely (a "we don't do that" attitude that breaks the spirit of a group). But this thread, IMHO, and in the words of a much more famous person than me (Goldilocks) "is just right!" Kudos to the mods and the forum community.

Thanks Jeff, mods, and all HF members that make this a GREAT place to hang. I occasionally bounce around other forums when I am looking for something specific, but this is the only one I visit every day, if only to see what my hammocking friends (who I've still never met in person) are up to. It's a testament to the HF community that we can feel this invested in the everyday doings of folks we have never met, whether it be hammock related or something more personal.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast