Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps

Hammock storage, waterproof dry sacks

I was just wondering how come I havent heard any mention of storing their hammocks in waterproof dry sack? As long as you let them air out when you get home they should be fine.... right. I actuallu have a video up on youtube of my dry sacks.
    Last edited by jons4real; 07-11-2010 at 12:34. Reason: typo

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by jons4real View Post
    I was just wondering how come I havent heard any mention of storing their hammocks in waterproof dry sack? As long as you let them air out when you get home they should be fine.... right. I actuallu have a video up on youtube of my dry sacks.
    because most people use snake skins so there is no point...

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I usually reserve my dry sacks for things that need them more. I don't have a lot of them. I keep my hammock in the snake skins and that works fine. No reason not to use dry sacks. I just don't choose to.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DIY Nylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    AHE webbing
    I use a dry sack for my son's hammock. No problems with it so far!
    (I use a DD hammock with a "sleeve" and DD's stuff sack for myself.)

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    The reason I bring it up is because I was going to throw mine in the back of my fishing vest for long fishing days. If I fell in the water I dont want a wet hammock.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Makes sense... whatever floats your boat. nothing _wrong_ with it as near as I can tell. That's the fun of this. Very few things are truly universal. Stuff away.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep - as long as you don't leave it in there wet, it shouldn't be a problem.

I don't think most people use snakeskins for their hammocks (I don't anymore), but snakeskins are usually silnylon (waterproof) and it's not a problem. I use silnylon stuffsacks (or a blackbishop bag) for mine and haven't had a problem.

I wouldn't store it long-term that way, but for hiking or fishing trips it shouldn't matter.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Yep - as long as you don't leave it in there wet, it shouldn't be a problem.

I don't think most people use snakeskins for their hammocks (I don't anymore), but snakeskins are usually silnylon (waterproof) and it's not a problem. I use silnylon stuffsacks (or a blackbishop bag) for mine and haven't had a problem.

I wouldn't store it long-term that way, but for hiking or fishing trips it shouldn't matter.
    sigh... that bag idea is awesome... im off to find my stock hennessy bag right now and make some adjustments.....

theres just soooo much to do!!! def going to put this in my next video!!! thank you!

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whether to use a stuff sack for a hammock is also dependent on the hammock fabric.

Granted most hammocks today, especially DIY hammocks, are probably made from nylon, usually ripstop nylon. Nylon absorbs water and can take time to dry. If the fabric is DWR, then then it doesn't have this problem and letting it get wet shouldn't be a problem as it should dry in minutes. Just let plenty of air get to it.

This is another reason TeeDee has been using polyester exclusively to make his Bridges for a long time now. Polyester does not absorb water. We have found that by simply folding and rolling the Bridge Hammock tightly, water is not a problem and what little water that doesn't run off when rolled, will when the Bridge is unrolled, hung and shaken. Any remaining water drops will dry fast since they are only on the surface and not in the fibers. If the polyester has some kind of surface DWR treatment, then that doubly insures that water is not a problem since the DWR treatment insures that very little or no water gets into the fabric weave. Even for plain polyester with no DWR treatment, the water is not absorbed into the fibers. We fold and roll our Bridge Hammocks and fasten to the outside of the pack and have found that after hanging, we can, as insurance, use a small microfiber towel to quickly swipe the interior of the hammock and the hammock is totally dry.

I do not think this would be the case with nylon fabric.

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Whether to use a stuff sack for a hammock is also dependent on the hammock fabric.

Granted most hammocks today, especially DIY hammocks, are probably made from nylon, usually ripstop nylon. Nylon absorbs water and can take time to dry. If the fabric is DWR, then then it doesn't have this problem and letting it get wet shouldn't be a problem as it should dry in minutes. Just let plenty of air get to it.

This is another reason TeeDee has been using polyester exclusively to make his Bridges for a long time now. Polyester does not absorb water. We have found that by simply folding and rolling the Bridge Hammock tightly, water is not a problem and what little water that doesn't run off when rolled, will when the Bridge is unrolled, hung and shaken. Any remaining water drops will dry fast since they are only on the surface and not in the fibers. If the polyester has some kind of surface DWR treatment, then that doubly insures that water is not a problem since the DWR treatment insures that very little or no water gets into the fabric weave. Even for plain polyester with no DWR treatment, the water is not absorbed into the fibers. We fold and roll our Bridge Hammocks and fasten to the outside of the pack and have found that after hanging, we can, as insurance, use a small microfiber towel to quickly swipe the interior of the hammock and the hammock is totally dry.

I do not think this would be the case with nylon fabric.
    good post.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast