Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah - I was also going to mention the altitude. Every year we have some folks with altitude sickness at the AF Academy graduation, and it's only at 7258' (far, far above West Point or Annapolis). One year, a cadet who had lived at 7200' for a year got HAPE at ~9000 and died. Freak accident, but she was in shape and healthy, and still died from an altitude related sickness only 2000' higher than her normal elevation.

You'll be huffing...consider that when you plan your mileage.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    That said, if you are willing to jump through the hoops, RMNP sounds like a good choice for you. There won't be a lot of snow on most of the actual hikes, but you'll see some snow capped mountains in the distance.
    Yeah, snow on the hike would be a bonus. Snow capped peaks in the background would make me entirely too giddy.

I think the altitude comments are right on. Strangely, this is something I had overlooked (not the altitude, but the conditioning). I guess that means we could simply make two plans along the same route. One plan could be a longer'ish loop that would fill up our weekend, and the second could simply be a shorter route (or yo-yo) if we fail hard.

We also wouldn't be horribly upset at staying at the same camp throughout the weekend. So long as there are days hikes, streams/lakes to fish, pictures to shoot in the area.

I do plan to bring ground dwellings as well. I'm not strictly limiting myself to hammock camping. I know there are several people from CO on these forums and figured I would tap that resource. I'll have both a hammock setup and a ground setup in the car right before we hit the trail... the choice will be made there.

I wish we had more time too, but my brother and I are both short on that (as far as vacation time). However, if things go decently well I will be headed out that way in a years time anyway I bet you Coloradans get sick of hearing that

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by griffins View Post
    I bet you Coloradans get sick of hearing that
    I say the more the merrier...but I'm not a native. Just a military transplant!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11 cat
    Insulation
    Mt Washington Quil
    If it is Buffalo Peak near Silverthorne, CO, then it is a great area. I even seem to remember that it has plenty of trees for hanging. One of my hiking buddies lives in Silverthorne and hikes the area regularly. Even got struck by lightening on Buffalo Peak.

Anyway, great hike that can take a day or more if you want to enjoy the scenery.

TV

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yeah, the easiest access to Salmon Lake is from a Trailhead in Silverthone.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123