Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    I was there for the day Friday. You will have to come down for the Loch Norman games here in Charlotte in the spring.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    John Muir

“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.”
    John Muir

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl Coyote Brown
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    MacEntyre, it sounds like you were camped in one of my favorite fishing holes. I know exactly where you hung near Andrews Creek. If you can't find a tree, you can always rent the teepee down near Mortimer behind that general store.

The games look like fun. Thanks for the trip report.

Salty

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    MacEntyre, it sounds like you were camped in one of my favorite fishing holes.
    You fish that high up? That's real close to the source of the creek, where the mountain sides are wicked steep! Makes sense, though... the only places not so steep are the creeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Yosef View Post
    I was there for the day Friday. You will have to come down for the Loch Norman games here in Charlotte in the spring.
    Been meaning to do that... let's keep in touch!

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Do they still finish the Grandfather Mountain marathon ("One of America's toughest Marathons") at the games?
    Yes, they do! The opening scene in the video shows a finisher on the track.

Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan View Post
    Are they still doing the torchlight hike up the mountain?
    Haven't heard about that... great idea, though!

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    I've got a couple stands of pipes...let me know when thing1 will be at a hang and I'll bring one along
    I'll do it! She's excited... we had lunch with my friend Dave, who is a piper. He's thinking of joining the Jamestown Pipe and Drum Band with her!

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    My wife went to nearby Lees-McRae College ...

We use to hike to the top of Grandfather Mt as in the early 70's to watch hang gliders...
    Great memories! I wonder how attraction will change under state ownership?

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerhpy View Post
    I go back to the MacDuff clan on my moms side. My wife is Irish (Carden)
    Lots of Irelanders and MacDuffs at the games!

Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Always nice to hear the pipes ,,,at a distance.
    It's best when performed live.

Quote Originally Posted by bdpalace View Post
    The Central Kentucky Celtic Festival & Highland Games is taking place in Eminence Kentucky in September. After seeing your pics, I'm definitely going to make it a point to be there!!!
    My work is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Thanks Mac ... I miss going to the games ... over 20 years now ... and who couldn't get into Albannach!!!!
    Albannach is amazing... live. I don't know if I could listen to a recording.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyPainter View Post
    What an absolutely awesome trip report! Now I have another reason to go hang - go find festivals like this one!
    ...and do a stealth hang, or at least hang close without paying a fee!

Quote Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
    The Highland Games looks like it would be a really fun event to spend some time at. Thanks for sharing.
    You are all entyrely welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    FREEDOM ..... !!!!!!
    One of the Albannach drummers did a musical poem about Wallace. I wish I had taped it! (and I hope YouTube doesn't slap my hand for posting as much as I did!)

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    You fish that high up? That's real close to the source of the creek, where the mountain sides are wicked steep! Makes sense, though... the only places not so steep are the creeks.
    There are some surprisingly deep pocket holes in those tiny headwater creeks, and with the ultra-clear water, it is very deceptive. I stepped into what I thought was a puddle and had to grab onto a boulder to keep from overflowing my chest waders. It's mostly tiny brook trout, but it's a lot of fun. There is another creek that joins Andrews to eventually form Wilson, but I can't remember the name. I like to start below that junction and work my way downstream if I'm fishing wet.

Salty

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    There is another creek that joins Andrews to eventually form Wilson, but I can't remember the name.
    Wilson Creek starts all by itself, way up on Grandfather Mountain. Andrews Creek and Stack Rock Creek descend on opposite sides of Gabes Mountain, then join at Old House Gap. Just below that, they join Wilson Creek.

I like to start below that junction and work my way downstream if I'm fishing wet.
    I had no idea you could fish in that kind of terrain. The Wilson Creek Spur Trailhead is at the lower end of Gabes Mountain, at Old House Gap. It's marked a "Most Difficult" trail, so it's pretty Wild & Scenic there!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    It's funny: a friend of mine from high school posted some photos from her trip there. I can see some of the same people in her photos from across the way that are in your video, standing near you (like the guy in the hat, yellow-ish tank top, and kilt)

Here's one of the pictures she took. I don't know who that lady is in the photo.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Don't know how it is these days but we use to trout fish Wilson's creek gorge from when I was old enough to fish. My Father-in-law regularly fished it when he was living.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RAW View Post
    I can see some of the same people in her photos from across the way that are in your video, standing near you (like the guy in the hat, yellow-ish tank top, and kilt)
    Ha! You'd see us if not for that tree!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Don't know how it is these days but we use to trout fish Wilson's creek gorge from when I was old enough to fish. My Father-in-law regularly fished it when he was living.
    Wilson Creek Gorge is lousy with people! There was not 100 yards that was free of 'em, for over two miles.

Away from the river, there are lots of trails, both easy and difficult, and lots of forest service roads to get to the trailheads.
    It's definitely worth spending some time in that part of Pisgah!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Yeah it always is especially on weekends but those hills around it and up toward the lost cove area are fantastic. But it's too close to the Big Ditch to get my attention any more.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Wilson Creek starts all by itself, way up on Grandfather Mountain. Andrews Creek and Stack Rock Creek descend on opposite sides of Gabes Mountain, then join at Old House Gap. Just below that, they join Wilson Creek.
    Yes, Stack Rock is the one I was thinking of.

Wilson Creek Gorge is lousy with people! There was not 100 yards that was free of 'em, for over two miles.
    I like how you put that. It is a pretty place, especially in the fall, but way too crowded in the lower gorge. I did, however, take my son there late summer for a quick fly fishing trip. I thought the large area would be easy for him to fly fish. I left our waders and boots at home somehow, so we had to wet wade and we fished barefoot. That was the omen I should have paid more attention to. I was so out of sorts, I left my cell phone in my pants pocket. I found it before it got wet and put it in my shirt pocket. I bent over and the cell phone went down in the river. I searched for 20 minutes with my toes. I think a trout must have eaten it. It was gone! A few minutes later, my son found a box of flies floating (thank goodness) that also fell out of my shirt pocket. And to top it all off, we couldn't buy a trout.

I went up to the Wilson Ck visitors center and the gentleman there said the hatchery had a problem and had to kill many of their stocking size trout due to a disease outbreak in the population and then the drought was so bad, they wouldn't stock again that season. Since we were just above the campground, that certainly explained the lack of fish.

I know we've all heard the saying that the worst day outdoors is better than being indoors. That day, I wasn't so sure!

Sorry, didn't mean to get on a Wilson Creek tangent.

Salty

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast