Tarp
    one of 4
    Insulation
    IX UQ or custom UQ
    Suspension
    webbing+dyneema
    Images

Unboxing the "Exped Scout Combi" hammock and tarp

(mods, I was not sure if this should go in the "reviews" section, please move it to another section if appropriate)

Following the discussion in another thread (here) I ordered myself an Exped Scout Combi hammock and tarp set.
    Exped is a Swiss company known better for their "EXPED Downmats" - inflatable sleeping mats which are filled with down. They have a reputation for high quality products (I believe they offer a 5 year warranty), but they are not very well known in the hammock arena, and are certainly less know in the US than in Europe.
    The "Exped Scout Combi" retails about £ 110 ($165) but is currently discounted by 50% in one particular on-line shop - this makes it a bargain at £55 ($83) inclusive of next day delivery.
    I ordered it on Saturday morning and received it today (Monday morning).

This is a brief "first impressions" article, concentrating on a visual inspection of the contents; I will play with it next weekend and might add to this report.

Conversions: 100cm = 1m = 3.3ft = 39.5in, 1lb = 454grams and my conversions are rounded for convenience...

So - first things first: the whole package (heavy duty cylindrical stuff sack 16in (40cm) tall x 5in (13cm) diameter containing tarp, tarp guy-lines, hammock, no-see-um net, tarp suspension) weights 1.9kg (4lb 3oz) - so it's a bit on the heavy side.

My first reaction was that there was attention to detail there - and I like that!

These are the contents of the stuff sack: The tarp, the hammock with a fine no-see-um cover and some heavy duty webbing lines:-

So, let's look at the tarp first: I think it's a bit small at 3m x 1.5m (128in x 59in) but it looks very well made. It's made of PU coated taffeta nylon with a hydrostatic head of 10,000mm - that's *really* waterproof (I think most waterproof tents are in the 2,000 to 4,000 mm H2O range). By the way, "10,000mm hydrostatic head" means that you need a column of water 10,000mm = 10meters high to achieve the pressure needed to make water go through the material.
    There are some nice touches there: The guy lines are in little mesh pouches to avoid tangling

and when you get them out of the pouches, the pouches stay attached to the lines via 2 small loops:

The loops for the ridge line are re-enforced nicely and have a strong elastic attached - this connects to the ridge line of the mosquito net to keep it nice and taught under the tarp:

There are 3 guy lines on each long side of the tarp.

Next, the hammock itself:

It comes with a built-in no-see-um cover made of grey mesh and 4 webbing lines (thick flat rope), each 2.5m /98in long, which have buttonholes-like openings every 10cm (4 in). (does anyone know how you use these?):

Two of these lines are lose while the other two go through the channels at the end of the hammock:

The width of the hammock is 145cm (58in) while the length is 300cm (about 120in)

The hammock is re-enforced with canvas type webbing at each end:

There is an elastic ridge line that runs through the middle of the no-see-um netting to keep it off your face - this can connect to the elastic that comes off the tarp ridge line. There are also 3 fabric sleeves that can be used to hold a stick or trekking pole segments, in order to keep the net away from your body:

There is a zip that runs the whole length of the hammock, to allow side entry:

Once you open the zip, you see that the bottom is double and there is an opening to allow you to put a mat in between the layers. The edges of the opening are reinforced with a red thread - just visible in the pic but a nice little touch nevertheless.

There four loops (2 one each side) you can attach shock cord to and pull teh sides of the hammock in HH fashion.

At each end of the there is a very strong 1.5inch (or perhaps 2in( webbing with 2 very strong loops at each end - you can use that to attach a stretcher (e.g. your hiking poles) and make it into a bridge hammock:

Now, re the weight: The hammock cannot be separated from the no-see-um net; they advise you to turn it upside down if you do not need the net and sleep on the "other side" - if you see what I mean.
    So the Hammock + cord + no-see-um weights 1200g / 42oz.
    The 4 webbing/ropes that come with it weight 50g/1and3/4oz each - so about 200g/7oz for all 4. You could replace them with Amsteel or equivalent - so there is some scope for weight reduction.

First impressions are of high quality, strong, durable product with well thought out features. There are interior pockets for small personal items such as books, headlamps, glasses etc.
    I *love* the quality of the tarp, but I think it's too small (width-wise) to be used in rainy weather.
    I will add to this report when I set the tarp/hammock up and have a trial snooze in it.

Hope this will be of use to someone,
    seg
    Last edited by seg1959; 07-12-2010 at 10:40.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Leigh's 3 Season
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    thanks for the review. Lets see some pics of it hanging.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Thanks for the report but I have a question to ask........could this hammock be used on the ground as a bivy? I think that is what the rings are for, not to be used in bridge configuration. Although looking at the picture I could be wrong, I usually am!!!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    Thanks for the report but I have a question to ask........could this hammock be used on the ground as a bivy? I think that is what the rings are for, not to be used in bridge configuration. Although looking at the picture I could be wrong, I usually am!!!!!!!!
    It's desighed to be used on the ground as a bivey also and with a spreader bar like a brazalin style hammock, its not made to be used as a true "bridge hammock".
    The toggles on the top of netting is desighned to toggle in to a long pcs of elastic with slits in it that is provided to run as youre ridge line to suspend the
    netting. It's a sweet lay ! I have had one for over a year and like it a lot.

fourdog

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow / Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Attention to detail is definitely key. I like the little guy line pouches.

Look forward to some hanging pictures.

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Webbing lines

The rope/webbing lines are 1/ tree huggers 2/ you run one through fabric sleeve on each end of hammock and use carbiner to attach to "tree huger"
    rope. The slits allow for quick adjustment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Gathered end, Exped Scout Combi
    Tarp
    one of 4
    Insulation
    IX UQ or custom UQ
    Suspension
    webbing+dyneema
    Images

First (test) hang

So, the rain stopped at 6.30pm today and I found some time to try and test-hang the Exped hammock. I did not have time to do a proper suspension, and the ground of my front garden is a bit uneven - so please ignore the hang angles etc. I got my youngest son to lie in to put some weight in it.
    So this is how it's used if you don't need the insect net - you turn it upside-down, with the net at the bottom:

This is the 'other' way to hang it, with the net held up by the build in shock cord only. My son is in and is about to zip it up:

All zipped up and ready for a snooze!

That's me inside the hammock, to show you one of the two inside pockets (on the side 'walls'):

A small stick through the loops of the net really improves the internal space, keeping the net well away from your body. There are 3 sets of loops, one at each end and one in the middle of the net:

So far I am quite please with it, it feels quite comfortable. I need to hang it properly and have a snooze and then report back! :-)

seg
    Last edited by seg1959; 07-14-2010 at 16:33.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Great review and an excellent looking piece of gear. That's a heck of a sale their doing. Thanks.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Exped makes some good stuff, but it is HEAVY. I have one of their hammock bugnets, and it weighs 650g. I tend to save that one for car camping.

Hammock
    Warbonnets, ENO, Claytor
    Tarp
    Maccats
    Insulation
    JRB, HG
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Nice review. I have been very happy with the quality & construction of my Exped DAMs & multimat. Only caveat, as others have mentioned is weight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast