Images

Radiant bubble wrap

Has anyone tried making a homemade pad of this stuff.

Its has claimed equivalent R-values comparable to a full thickness Exped 9 downmat... That's pretty good for 5/16" thickness,

Not sure of weight though, and certainly not breathable so probably best for dual layer hammocks or pad sleeves.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    That seems to be a building product. I would think that it would be very inflexible (hard to pack without damage) and it doesn't seem to be compressible (can't lay on it without decreasing insulative factor or causing damage). I don't have any direct experience with it, though. JMO
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    Its actually quite soft/flexible and incompressible since its bubble wrap so its two layers of little balloons between foil layers.

At least the version I've been looking at, at my local Home Depot is. I just grabbed that as an example of what I meant.

Further much of the insulative value is in the radiant equivalent rather than the traditional manner.

Images
    It is the same stuff used for pot cozies.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    quite a few people have experimented w/ that type stuff, mostly in the form of a truck wind shield reflector (basically the same).
    it seems that most people decided that the cons (bulk, noisy) out weighed the amount of warmth it provided.
    i believe sgt rock & the jacks are some of the folks that spent some time trying it out.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Ah... I thought someone probably had.

And yes I could see it being noisy and its certainly incompressible. So it'll be bulky, but not any bulkier than a CCF of the same thickness.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapt View Post
    Ah... I thought someone probably had.

And yes I could see it being noisy and its certainly incompressible. So it'll be bulky, but not any bulkier than a CCF of the same thickness.
    true, but my understanding is that the enclosed air bubbles just don't have the R value of ccf.
    in other words, people seem to have have had noticeably better results w/ a similar weight & bulk of ccf.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Ok. I can see that. The base R-value is 1.1 (with no air gap on either side to allow the radiant reflective properties to come into play). This isn't much.

A half inch air gap increases the "equivalent" R-value by allowing the radiant reflection to do its stuff. In conjunction with more typical insulations (like synthetic or down fills which act like air gaps) the claimed effective R-value goes up to about 8.

Suspended with "still" air gaps on both sides its supposed to get an equivalent R-value of 15 to 17 against heat transfer in the downwards direction...

Those were why I was interested. Of course I don't know if such a system could be created effectively, especially with such a limited radiant system as a human body, instead of solar gain...

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    As mentioned above it is great for making a cozy. Here's 2 shots on a cozy I made with some of the windshield reflector from WalMart. I made it just big enough to hold 8" tortillas for packing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

• + New Posts