WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    The bottom line is whatever works for you. Pick up a pair and use them. Never hurts to have extra suspension plus its always better to try things out for yourself.

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Oh - there is a downside that was not mentioned. If you are using WS made from the blue colored amsteel be prepared to suffer from SHS - Smurf Hand Syndrome. The staining lessens over time and washes off with a good scrubbing but it is a pain. The other colors I have used don't stain as bad as blue.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I had a WS sort of fail on my Smokies trip. The adjustable loop has a small plastic bead to keep the loop from sliding in on itself. Somehow that bead broke off, and when I picked up that end of the hammock by the wrong part of the sling, the loop slid all the way closed and I couldn't get it back out. I just used that sling like a normal piece of cord with the figure-8 lash and it worked fine.

I asked Opie if there was an easy way to fix this and he immediately offered to send me a new one if I couldn't get it back out. I tried to get it out but I couldn't do it w/o damaging the cord, so he sent one out quickly. Great customer service!

I don't think this will be a common issue at all with WS, though. Not something I'd base a decision on to pass up a set.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    [QUOTE=Just Jeff;286649]I had a WS sort of fail on my Smokies trip. The adjustable loop has a small plastic bead to keep the loop from sliding in on itself. Somehow that bead broke off, and when I picked up that end of the hammock by the wrong part of the sling, the loop slid all the way closed and I couldn't get it back out. I just used that sling like a normal piece of cord with the figure-8 lash and it worked fine.

Hey thanks alot Jeff, thats just the kind of feedback I was looking for.
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    BMBH
    Insulation
    ccf pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Pretty much all off the failures I have read about have all been operator error. There is a slight learning curve on a WS. I dont see that as a down side just part of learning to use the gear. After a couple of uses you will be a pro at using them. Mine are 2mm dynaglide and go as short as 18in. As cheap as they are if you dont like them you are not out much. I agree with Trout. They are not for everyone. No they are not the simplest suspension to use but they really dont take much brain power to use.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    And the Lord knows Otter that you need to preserve all of the brain power that you can muster. LOFLMAO

Besides, "Whoopie is just fun to say."
    So sayeth the SHUG-man.

We now return you to your regularly shceduled thread.
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    BMBH
    Insulation
    ccf pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    BC you kill me. But in a good way.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by kthompson View Post
    Amsteel seems particularly easy to snag on abrasive surfaces. I do wonder about its useful life span.
    I've been using mine for over a year, true, it's been out on the deck but still every night I'm hangin' on it and they've NEVER failed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I had a WS sort of fail on my Smokies trip. The adjustable loop has a small plastic bead to keep the loop from sliding in on itself. Somehow that bead broke off, and when I picked up that end of the hammock by the wrong part of the sling, the loop slid all the way closed and I couldn't get it back out. I just used that sling like a normal piece of cord with the figure-8 lash and it worked fine.

I asked Opie if there was an easy way to fix this and he immediately offered to send me a new one if I couldn't get it back out. I tried to get it out but I couldn't do it w/o damaging the cord, so he sent one out quickly. Great customer service!

I don't think this will be a common issue at all with WS, though. Not something I'd base a decision on to pass up a set.
    One thing I've learned Jeff. I had one that did the same thing on one of my hammocks, I didn't have a bead on it though, and I took some time and was able to pull it back out. Now I simply tie the end of the WS to the adjustable loop, that way if it happens again the knot will stop it from swallowing the loop.
    "Is this the best you've got?!!" (Shortoff Mtn., Linville Gorge 2010)

"Life is tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid!".....(John Wayne)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post

Y'all may remember that I (the village idiot) discovered this on my FIRST attempted use of my whoopies in the field. They pulled in on themselves as I pulled the hammock out of the pack. I had nothing (beads whatever) on there to prevent it, and did not even know it needed preventing. But no problems since then, now that I know it can happen. Lot's of ways to prevent it.

BTW, once back home I got both of mine pulled back out and still use that same set, but it was one major PITA let me tell 'Ya!
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That's a great idea, Burrito. If another bead pops off (not expected) then I'll do that to keep it working in the field.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER