Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 75
  1. #11
    entropy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Hammock
    HH Exped-Asym w/ DIY ZipMod
    Tarp
    OES Sil MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Karo TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Posts
    232
    Images
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8rs_dad View Post
    Put me down for 2, my son and I (what would a sk8rs_dad be without a sk8r ) I sure hope we don't have to go to ground on hammock hangout. I haven't slept on the ground in years.

    I'm coming from Ottawa and should have room for another couple of people.
    Oh, excellent. You are able to come after all Does the offer still stand for a Kingston pickup?

  2. #12
    Senior Member sk8rs_dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ottawa,ON
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Posts
    259
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Oh, excellent. You are able to come after all Does the offer still stand for a Kingston pickup?
    I didn't realize you were in Kingston. I thought you were closer to Ottawa. Going via Kingston is a 130km detour. Is it possible to meet up anywhere closer to Hwy 7?

  3. #13
    Chard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    1,272
    Images
    65
    entropy/sk8rs_dad

    I expect to be driving up from Toronto, so if I do, it'd make more sense if I just scooted over to pick up entropy on my way up.

    Comments?

  4. #14
    entropy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Hammock
    HH Exped-Asym w/ DIY ZipMod
    Tarp
    OES Sil MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Karo TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Posts
    232
    Images
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8rs_dad View Post
    I didn't realize you were in Kingston. I thought you were closer to Ottawa. Going via Kingston is a 130km detour. Is it possible to meet up anywhere closer to Hwy 7?
    Ack. I had to check a map. You are correct (stupid ontario geography...)

  5. #15
    entropy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Hammock
    HH Exped-Asym w/ DIY ZipMod
    Tarp
    OES Sil MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Karo TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Posts
    232
    Images
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by chardpp View Post
    entropy/sk8rs_dad

    I expect to be driving up from Toronto, so if I do, it'd make more sense if I just scooted over to pick up entropy on my way up.

    Comments?
    Actually is a worse detour from your direction... TO to Bon Echo is 250km. TO to Kingston to Bon Echo is 380.

    I could meet you at Belleville though.

  6. #16
    Chard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    1,272
    Images
    65
    Hey entropy

    A Napanee/Belleville option definitely sounds better..

    1. Detouring through Kingston on an Ottawa-Bon Echo (190km) trip would add another 120km.
    2. Detouring through Kingston from an Toronto-Hwy7-Bon Echo (260km) trip would add another 100km.
    3. Slowing down with an open door as I pass Belleville or Napanee on an Toronto-401-Bon Echo (260km) trip would add another 30km.

  7. #17
    entropy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Hammock
    HH Exped-Asym w/ DIY ZipMod
    Tarp
    OES Sil MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Karo TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Posts
    232
    Images
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by chardpp View Post
    Hey entropy

    A Napanee/Belleville option definitely sounds better..

    1. Detouring through Kingston on an Ottawa-Bon Echo (190km) trip would add another 120km.
    2. Detouring through Kingston from an Toronto-Hwy7-Bon Echo (260km) trip would add another 100km.
    3. Slowing down with an open door as I pass Belleville or Napanee on an Toronto-401-Bon Echo (260km) trip would add another 30km.
    Napanee would be perfect actually. My girlfriend is not thrilled with the thought of driving on the 401, but Napanee is a quick drive along the lake and would cut all the backtracking. It apparently adds 8km over Bellville, which is probably where you would have turned north anyway.

  8. #18
    Senior Member BrianWillan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,988
    Images
    7
    So look like we are up to 6 people now. We are getting there slow but sure.

    I am really looking forward to this.

    Cheers

    Brian

  9. #19
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    37
    Hi Guys,

    Something to keep in mind...

    2 years ago I called an Ontario Park (Algonquin I think) and asked about hammocks, indicating that it was a hammock with a tarp overtop that I would sleep in. I was told that hammocks do not count as shelters, of which there can only be 3 per site.

    I was in Algonquin over the weekend. Apparently Algonquin now views hammocks as shelters. That means you can only have 3 hammocks per site.

    So in Algonquin you can now put 3 10 person tents, plus another tent for eating and that is fine, but if you put 4 hammocks up you get a fine - I think he said it was a $500 fine.

    Not sure about other parks. I'm going to call Killarney tomorrow.

    PS - The warden said they also don't care what Ontario Parks says. Even if Ontario Parks says hammocks don't count, Algonquin will fine you anyways. Support your local petty beaurocracy!

  10. #20
    Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Posts
    6,399
    Images
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by vgnbkr View Post
    Hi Guys,

    Something to keep in mind...

    2 years ago I called an Ontario Park (Algonquin I think) and asked about hammocks, indicating that it was a hammock with a tarp overtop that I would sleep in. I was told that hammocks do not count as shelters, of which there can only be 3 per site.

    I was in Algonquin over the weekend. Apparently Algonquin now views hammocks as shelters. That means you can only have 3 hammocks per site.

    So in Algonquin you can now put 3 10 person tents, plus another tent for eating and that is fine, but if you put 4 hammocks up you get a fine - I think he said it was a $500 fine.

    Not sure about other parks. I'm going to call Killarney tomorrow.

    PS - The warden said they also don't care what Ontario Parks says. Even if Ontario Parks says hammocks don't count, Algonquin will fine you anyways. Support your local petty beaurocracy!
    That kind of sucks. Although I don't think I have never seen a ranger or warden on a backcountry trail when I have been out there.

Similar Threads

  1. Ontario EGL Hang - Bon Echo Provincial Park - August 24th-26th 2012
    By BrianWillan in forum Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-18-2012, 13:58
  2. Ontario Hang - Frontenac Provincial Park - Oct 15-17 2010
    By BrianWillan in forum Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-12-2010, 16:39
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-09-2010, 20:31
  4. Ontario Hang - Fall 2010 - Algonquin Park
    By Chard in forum Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 09-29-2010, 23:45
  5. Ontario Hang - Bon Echo Trip Report
    By BrianWillan in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-08-2010, 18:18

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •