Next purchase for me is a set of proper trekking poles.
For everyone else, you are more than welcome for the organizing of the trip. Let's hope that now the group hang ball is rolling in Ontario, that this will be the first of many hangs in Ontario.
I vote Sk8rs_dad to organize the winter hang at one of his Scout Camp locations.
Trip report from me will be up tomorrow. No video. So everyone who took pictures this weekend be sure to post them in the trip report thread.
It was great meeting a group of fellow hangers in Ontario who are also really great people in general.
Checking back in...
I had a great time meeting some on the Ontario contingent of the Hammock Forums community. Nice to put faces on some of the names.
Hoping everyone got home safe and sound and had a chance to do one last "hammock hang" at home to dry their soggy gear.
Special thanks go out to BrianWillian for organizing the event, and to Mother Nature for going out of her way to reschedule the beautiful sunny weekend I'm sure she had planned and turn it into overcast rain and drizzle just so a few of us "hammockers" could test out our tarps.
Some of the Bon Echo crew
- My relief at being greeted with a smile and not a scowl when picking Entropy up "just a little" late
- A group of car campers in all their overpacked glory, coolers and all, miles from their car... all amazingly still alive and smiling! Thanks for the beer and apple...
- Laughing to myself as half a dozen normally responsible adults joined me in eagerly watching 2 cups of water boil on a cool little wood stove.. What an odd bunch.
- Bushbuddies, amsteel and tarps.. Oh my!!! I see some DIY'ing in the near future.
- Having had a chance to see some of the commercial underquilts and topquilts up close. Having made my own, I could really appreciate the quality of design and workmanship. Nice overquilt Stormcrow!
- Being humbled by base pack weights.
- Pop & Singe and the old flying penny trick!!!
- Steak. Mmm... Curried mutton. Not so mmmm!!!
- Hiking heavy packs in rain. Not so mmm... Canoeing in next time. Mmmm!!!
- Never, never, never again choose to put back the coffee and bring tea instead. NEVER!!!
- and finally, who could forget the truly memorable "lunch" we had on our way out
I didn't really take pictures or video (sorry Shug), so I really look forward to seeing your postings.
Thanks again guys. Looking forward to the next "hang". I think we have enough canoers in the group to consider a canoe trip. Maybe next time we can even include some of our brothers from the lower 48 to join us (or vis-a-versa)!
P.S. SK8RS_DAD - I got the bandage back. Hope it helped.
Last edited by Chard; 08-23-2010 at 18:16.
Thanks for a fun weekend everyone. It was great to check out everyone's gear.
Sorry for not meeting for lunch on the way back. It looked like everyone was going swimming first, then I couldn't find the Timmy's in Coyne. Oh well ...